Grinding noise on sharp left and right turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding noise on sharp left and right turns

Hey guys, so I have an '89 325iC that the PO lowered and added Bilstein coilovers, and I have had a tin-like grinding noise that sounds like it comes form the front wheel wells whenever I max the steering wheel turning left or right.

There are no symptoms other than the noise, but it persists if the car is moving or not. I am thinking this may be something interfering now that the car is lowered, but I wanted to post this and see if anyone had any ideas as to if this is fixable, or just something that happened with lowered cars?

Thanks!

Check your fender wells for rub spots. You'll see the paint/undercoating worn away if it is rubbing.

Something else it might be is the tie rods rubbing on the inside of the wheels. E30 tie rods aren't handed, but if someone swapped in e36 tie rods (perhaps with an e36 rack), they are right and left handed and will rub if put on the wrong side.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      Check your fender wells for rub spots. You'll see the paint/undercoating worn away if it is rubbing.

Something else it might be is the tie rods rubbing on the inside of the wheels. E30 tie rods aren't handed, but if someone swapped in e36 tie rods (perhaps with an e36 rack), they are right and left handed and will rub if put on the wrong side.
      Awesome, I'll check these out today. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X