E46(330i) 6spd tranny on a S52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46(330i) 6spd tranny on a S52?

What would I need to mate a 6spd tranny out of a e46 330i on to my S52 e30? Straight bolt in? Thanks in advance...

Sent from my Samsung Note 4
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

If its bolt in, I might switch to a six speed over my 5spd. Good question.

Comment

Bolts right up. S52 pressure plate, 330i flywheel/clutch. Gargastic sells the tranny mount bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by mutty View Post
        Bolts right up. S52 pressure plate, 330i flywheel/clutch. Gargastic sells the tranny mount bracket.
        Thanks!

Comment

different driveshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
            different driveshaft?
            From research, Iooks like the driveshaft out of an automatic e36M3 will work...can someone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
              From research, Iooks like the driveshaft out of an automatic e36M3 will work...can someone confirm this?

Very interested as I am pulling my S52 from the auto M3 sitting in my garage right now

Comment

Originally posted by jph View Post
                Very interested as I am pulling my S52 from the auto M3 sitting in my garage right now
                Let us know

Comment

Auto m3 is what I've read too. I was unaware of the garagistic mounts, I thought the mounts had to be custom. You'll need the back mounting plate off an e90 so it fits in the trans tunnel. You'll also have to do custom shift linkage.

Comment

You can get the bracketry from Kassel Performance for either an M20 or M50/M52/S50/S52. Driveshaft from auto E36 M3. Shifter carrier and selector rod from E36 M3 euro 6 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by 95///M3 View Post
                      You can get the bracketry from Kassel Performance for either an M20 or M50/M52/S50/S52. Driveshaft from auto E36 M3. Shifter carrier and selector rod from E36 M3 euro 6 speed.
                      Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by 95///M3 View Post
                        The Euro M3 shifter carrier will not work with the GS6-37BZ (E46 330i ZHP, Z4M, etc) transmission as the carrier mounting ears on the back of the trans case are different. The Euro M3 trans is like the E46 M3 (might even be the same unit actually). The ZHP shifter carrier mounts at two points on the trans whereas the Euro M3 only mounts at one point. The selector rod MIGHT work, but doubtful. I recently purchased an E46 ZHP transmission and will either be using the Kassel Performance custom bracket and stock E30 325i brace and E36/46 trans mounts or a custom brace made by Tyler Timmel at Arc Asylum. Still waiting to hear back from Tyler regarding price and configuration required to work. As far as I know there are no custom shifter carrier/selector rod options available from vendors so I'll be on my own for the fabrication or modification of these parts. I already have an E36 M3 auto driveshaft from the M3 I am parting that I bought for my donor S52. Pretty sure I will need the E30 carrier bearing and that should take care of everything aft of the 6 speed tailshaft.

If someone knows of a cheaper alternative that does not require custom fabrication of a support brace I'm all ears

Comment

Bookmarking this page

Have a G420 sitting and lots of good info for my eventual 6-speed swap here

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                            Bookmarking this page

Have a G420 sitting and lots of good info for my eventual 6-speed swap here
                            The G420 is a much more straightforward swap for the shifter components. Pretty sure there are vendors out there who make a prefabbed lower mount as well. I have heard the synchros or forks or something are a little weaker in the M3 transmissions and this is why I chose to go with a ZF GS6 transmission from the ZHP. YMMV though. I think I also remember reading somewhere that the later model 420's had revised internals to cure this issue but I really don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by jph View Post
                              The G420 is a much more straightforward swap for the shifter components. Pretty sure there are vendors out there who make a prefabbed lower mount as well. I have heard the synchros or forks or something are a little weaker in the M3 transmissions and this is why I chose to go with a ZF GS6 transmission from the ZHP. YMMV though. I think I also remember reading somewhere that the later model 420's had revised internals to cure this issue but I really don't know.
                              BULLSHITE= G420's come attached to much stronger engines with owners who abuse them hard.
                              let me know when a non force fed M20 engine has enough torque to damage one; I dont know of any.

Plenty of E39 540i;s running around with perfect 200k+ miles G420's
                              Plenty of E46 m3 owners who cant shift very well and blame it on the gearbox.

the G420 units are OLD style and have 2 critical things:

1. shift carrier ala old style not new
                              2. mounting ears for the transmission mounts (no F-body bolt on mount required)

the most simple 6mt transmission to swap into a car (obviously a 5mt car)

e36M3 euro:

it will mate directly to the M20 clutch; dont even have to unbolt it.
                              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                              X