No announcement yet.

s52 or s54 M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOOOOO. Don't listen to me, I'm an internet idiot that doesn't know anything. I talked to a guy who works at a local BMW performance shop (racewerks in VA beach) and he's done an s54 swap in a customers car and an s52 swap in his car and he said the s54 swap is MUCH MUCH more expensive. You're looking at spending 10k at least to swap an s54 into an e30. My jaw dropped. S52 is a lot cheaper.
    = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

^ I'm suprised by this comment. Ive just completed my S54 swap and would not say that it is MUCH MUCH more than a S50b32 swap. Apart from the marginal cost of the actual engine (and here i am comparing Euro S50B32 with the S54 from a UK perspective) its only a few extra pieces the S54 swap requires as the rest is required for either swap i.e. engine mounts, DME flash, wiring etc...

Comment

s52/s54

As owner of an s52 e30 m3 I can chime in.

I bought my car w/an s52. But if I were doing it myself I'd do an s54 for sure if you have the coin based on resale value alone.

From what I have seen in the resale market, the demand for s54 cars is much stronger and they fetch a 10k premium over s52 swapped cars.

s52 swap can be done for 5-6k. For s54 you're looking at closer to 8-10 probably. This is based on doing it yourself but also doing it correctly with quality parts.

Comment

I've owned and driven both at length. The s52 doesn't even compare to the s54. The s52 makes an e30 feel like a c5 non-z06, where as the s54 car is on par with a c6 z06. The extra 1k rpms of power band, the much flatter torque curve, and the happy revving nature makes the s54 a much better choice.

That being said, the s52 is much cheaper to maintain, and is on average more bulletproof.
          Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Plunk a M52 in and add Forced Induction.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

E36 here, not E30 anymore.

I have a 98 S52 M3/4/5 and a 95 S54 M3 (swapped out the S50), and can speak fairly well to their behavior in the E36 chassis.

S54 (stock) is absurd. Awesome torque band, awesome throttle response, good sound, and it just pulls pulls pulls! It loves to be hooned and really encourages that kind of use. Although it is perfectly fine being a DD motor, it really doesn't shine in that setting. The S54 is a crazy fun motor. In NA form you will max out around 350whp with common bolt ons + cams, if you do it right, and it won't be a useless race engine. Great engine to hoon on and play 'because racecar'.

S52 (stock) is very sedate, in comparison. It's never particularly rushed nor does it egg you to go faster and redline it, but it is awesome for a daily driver that is used for fun from time to time. In NA form you will max out around 270whp with common bolt ons + streetable cams, if you do it right. More than that is doable with total lack of street civility. The S52 is much milder mannered on the street but is pretty damn fun too. Great engine for a relaxing spirited cruise.

S50 (stock/modded) is like an S52 with less torque and more rev-happiness. A lot of that is due to the intake manifold, which I haven't changed on my sedan. Max NA potential for street is ~250-260 with cams + bolt ons.

Which would I swap into an E30? Depends on how you'll use it. For a mostly DD car, S52. More reliable, cheaper parts and consumables, better efficiency, and can be a riot with very cheap mods. For a fun car, and especially an E30 M3 fun car, S54 all the way. I honestly really like having both, they're very different but neither is a bad option. If you're going to compete in the car....don't start with an E30.

If cost is a factor, run away from the S54. Budget ~2-3x the cost of an S52 swap.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I have already considered a turbo set up but not really in the budget if I built the turbo engine properly parts alone came out to 18k more then I wanna spend right now. Especially for just the motor I still have to do suspension /transmission/body work/ rear end. But I am a bit of a hpf and 500-600Hp 😜 Maybe later on down the road. Right now looking like I may stick to the s52 like mwishlist says its well documented and basically a bolt in set up but I will have to wait a little while and see comes up as i continue to search here in Houston if I find a good deal on an s54 with tranny I will do that so I'll be patient and wait and see what comes up either should be a fun ride in my set up it sounds like.

Comment

I looked into the same two engines as you, although in a 325is not an M3. I was back and forth, the S50/2 is an easier swap and its cheaper as others have said. But I always loved the E46 M3 and reving out that S54, sometimes even more so then my S65.

I have not finished my swap yet because there are definitely more parts to accumulate for the S54, but I got a good deal on the engine and I could not pass it up, so I went the S54 route.

The only thing I will say is I think if you are not doing the S12 in the M3 go S54 it seems just more suited for that car, higher revs etc. Or spend tons of money and go S38 like others have said.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
                  X