R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Members Rides > The Project Forum

Old 04-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #256
efficient
No R3VLimiter

do you regret going boost?
efficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #257
varg
E30 Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by efficient View Post
do you regret going boost?
No. These issues really came down to something beyond my control - if the header hadn't cracked so severely or had a warped flange in the first place none of this would have happened. The warped header working the hardware loose as it heat cycled is what prompted the stud replacement, had the header been a put it on and forget about it deal like I was expecting the old hardware with its seized up nuts never would have been an issue. If I did it again I would skip the M20 and go straight to a built 302 though, I could have as much power or more with more torque across the rev range, better reliability, better sound, superior NA response...
[Car of the month: April 2018]

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #258
nando

they make double-ended studs where one side is larger than the other. Basically for your exact same problem, where you had to drill out a hole in the head. I used these on my M20 back in 2006 for a couple studs where the shop that had 'rebuilt' the head stripped them out.

I bought a whole box of them. I wonder if I still have them laying around somewhere..

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #259
varg
E30 Mastermind

Yeah, I've seen those and considered them as the solution to this problem, but I really didn't have time to keep drilling away at it then wait for the stud and proper size helicoil kit to arrive. Progress was so slow, I would get fractions of a millimeter of drilling progress out of every tank of air then have to wait 15-20min for my relatively small air compressor to cool off before refilling the tank. I'm guessing there's 3-5mm of partially drilled out stud left in there, and I can get to the hole with the downpipe removed and the header still mounted to drill an oversized hole in the future so at least there's that.
[Car of the month: April 2018]

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #260
nando

You don't have to helicoil. you drill and tap for the larger stud end. i think it's an M10, if the stock stud is M8.

But yeah drilling through that hardened steel stud sucks.

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote