Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya it turns on at 1.6.
    16.4gal tank so run it to the light and fill up.
    run it back down to the light and count the trip.

will give you your actual mpg not some estimate.

m30 turbo on e85 i estimate about 13mpg based on the couple times
    i like to fill. usually when the needle's on "empty", yet only 12gals go in.

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
      I have never seen a fuel lite on in my 89 - is there not one? Does it come on @ reserve?
      One of the first things i checked when we got our cars a couple years ago. You’ll want to confirm that the light does work, so run it down. Just make sure you have a plan to get rescued in case the little amber light doesn’t work.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
        ya it turns on at 1.6.
        16.4gal tank so run it to the light and fill up.
        run it back down to the light and count the trip.

will give you your actual mpg not some estimate.

m30 turbo on e85 i estimate about 13mpg based on the couple times
        i like to fill. usually when the needle's on "empty", yet only 12gals go in.
        You don't have to go that low (re: fuel pump heat mentioned before). Just fill it to the click, reset the odometer, drive any distance you want down to 1/4 tank on the gauge, then fill to the click again. Gallons are on the receipt, miles are on the odometer.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

i believe the pump is cooled from fuel going through it not really around it.

took a pic changing out the pump.
          This is with needle at the red.

On the red by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

I get about 8km per litre (18.8mpg) with my 4cyl M40 engine. It used to do around 10km to the litre many years ago (23.5mpg).
            1990 318i 4-door, 5 speed manual, ice white

Comment

Originally posted by MontFenn View Post
              I get about 8km per litre (18.8mpg) with my 4cyl M40 engine. It used to do around 10km to the litre many years ago (23.5mpg).

What in your opinion is causing this decrease? Normal engine wear or is it time for new fuel system parts?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                i believe the pump is cooled from fuel going through it not really around it.

took a pic changing out the pump.
                This is with needle at the red.

On the red by jet jones, on Flickr
                It's the in tank pump that's cooled by fuel.

I get shit mileage in my cabrio (5spd, 19lb injectors, SSquid Chip). I just tell myself if I can't afford the gas I can't afford an e30...but then I'd be taking the bus which costs even more
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

In Daytona I get 150 miles on a 16gal tank with a 180whp m20, or 1:45hr...

but that's avg of 90mph per lap, max velocity 147mph. lol

Car isn't street legal.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                    What in your opinion is causing this decrease? Normal engine wear or is it time for new fuel system parts?
                    I assumed it was engine wear, but I don't know.
                    1990 318i 4-door, 5 speed manual, ice white

Comment

After a comprehensive re-seal, valve adjustment, injector cleaning, etc etc I'm regularly seeing ~23.5MPG in a mix of fast highway and town driving. Only modifications a light flywheel, stage .5 Squid chip, stainless stock style exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        In Daytona I get 150 miles on a 16gal tank with a 180whp m20, or 1:45hr...

but that's avg of 90mph per lap, max velocity 147mph. lol

Car isn't street legal.
                        helpful

:D
                        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
                          After a comprehensive re-seal, valve adjustment, injector cleaning, etc etc I'm regularly seeing ~23.5MPG in a mix of fast highway and town driving. Only modifications a light flywheel, stage .5 Squid chip, stainless stock style exhaust.
                          Engine? Gearbox? Rear end ratio? Fuel octane?

Comment

M20 5sp dont know/stock for my ‘89 87 octane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stock 1989 m20 motor w/5spd trans, 4.10 lsd on 87 pump gas - 22mpg on average. Just reinstalled my Yakima rack w/wind deflector, my new average is now 20mpg.

Comment

87 325i converible. After running a full tank out and all the repairs, i got 23.5 mpg with a mix of highway and town. running 93 octane because the dinian chip requires min of 91. 91 does not seem to exist here.

Comment

Working...
                                X