Just picked up - E30 Touring 320i (S50)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Touring!

Can you give us more detail on the suspension? I’d like to know what spring poundages and spring lengths are used front and rear.

Comment

I'm not sure - they were on there when I got it. I'm adding tender springs in the front to be able to raise it a little bit - it's completely topped out where it's at, and I need the ability to raise it about 1/4 - 1/2" for safety. At least until I get a shallower oil pan made.

Comment

how far out does that bumper strut stick out from the mounting location? Can you measure it for me by chance?

Comment

Which one, and from where?

Comment

Installing the upgraded skid plate, the instructions say to just drill through the lower rad support sheetmetal and nut it from the other side - AND they used SAE hardware. Not the end of the world, but I prefer to keep a vehicle all metric or all SAE if possible. That's better than the sheetmetal screws that were on there, but I thought it would be super easy to make a plate with captive nuts, stronger, spread the load AND make install/removal easier. I love captive M8 nuts. The plate with the nuts is painted now.

Comment

Originally posted by greggearhead View Post
              Which one, and from where?
              Sorry, the bumper strut. How far out does it protrude from mounting point to end. I'm trying to see if mine (which i bought used) are pulled out slightly and that's why my bumper isn't lining up.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                Sorry, the bumper strut. How far out does it protrude from mounting point to end. I'm trying to see if mine (which i bought used) are pulled out slightly and that's why my bumper isn't lining up.
                You see the left and right are different, right?

Comment

Originally posted by greggearhead View Post
                  You see the left and right are different, right?
                  right. I just think it was towed and it pulled the struts out slightly. I just need some sort of reference point.

Comment

Try to do that tomorrow.

I ordered 5 new tires today. The track-focused tires on it are fine, but 205/50 on a 16x8 stretch a little, and the offset pokes a little. Nothing awful, but enough that I decided to install some Maxilite Alpina replicas (I'm a dealer, so it was an easy decision) in 16x7 & 8, with 205/50R16 on front and 215/50R16 in the back. Dunlop Direzza DZ102.

I test fit one and will have to very slightly grind on the E36 M3 front calipers for clearance. I have a couple 5mm spacers and back up in case I can't grind enough, but they didn't hit when lugs were hand tight, but did when torqued, so that makes me think it's only a mm or less interference.

Comment

Oh yeah - also installed some (Chinese) yellow fog lights in the spoiler valence. Mounting looks a little weak so I'm worried they will jiggle, but might be able to add some rigidity somehow.

Comment

In for pics....awesome thread!
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                        IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

I'll take a few tomorrow. I'm hosting a cars & coffee event (every 2nd Sat) and so I'll be around it. Hopefully get the skidplate mounted as well.

There was a mousey odor from the HVAC before i parked it, so I hope to open that up and vac out and bleach it as well.

Comment

E36 M3 Brake calipers clearanced for Alpina wheels.
                            Spring spacers installed.
                            New oil cooler mounted
                            New oil cooler hoses made and installed.
                            New coolant tee installed.
                            Coolant hose firewall grommet installed.

So far today - relocated power steering reservoir so it was actually mounted to something (temporary, but still better than just flopping around) I'll have some custom hoses made soon.
                            Mounted the evaporative cannister. Was just flopping around in there...

Now to reinstall the intake, test the oil cooler for leaks, clearance the lower valence and reinstall it and the bumper.

One additional thing - when I swapped out to the stronger skip plate, I noticed the bolts that were in the back, that go through the subframe and locate the steering rack, were fully threaded. When I replaced them, I used non-threaded shaft bolts. Not a big deal, but better for this application.

Comment

Well, just got back from the Hagerty/Classic Car Adventures Silver Summit Rally. I took the E30 because the Alfa wasn't ready yet, and even if it was, it was going to need some real fleshing out with all the changes I made.

The Touring did awesome. I still need to rebuild the VANOS to get the mid range up, but the top end is great, and it did very well overall.

I raised the front suspension using some HDPE (cutting board material) until I get some tender springs to do the same thing. Worked great, but I lost the locating lip for the springs so they move around a little on parking lot full-lock type maneuvers. We raised the rear suspension on the coilovers a little after the first day because we were rubbing in the back a bit. Two people, luggage and tools will do that. It's not quite as cool now, but it is more functional. Didn't scrape the new skid plate once - and that's with 900 miles of hard driving on Colorado 2 lane roads.

Comment

I love this! I live in Germany right now and my only goal besides traveling a bunch is securing a rust free touring before I move back to the US. Thanks for keeping it gang-star.
                                Paynemw
                                1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                                the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                                1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
                                X