• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerty's new 1982–94 BMW E30 3 Series Buyer’s Guide

This is a good read just released and with lots of pretty photos:

Our 1982–94 BMW E30 3 Series Buyer’s Guide

My initial reaction:
    • "you'll pay around $10k for a modest four-cylinder or six-cylinder driver-quality sedan with an automatic transmission"
      I beg to differ. That's about double what I've seen lately.

• They explain the model suffixes for i, e, es, is, or ix, but show a pic of a td. Is that a Turbo Diesel?

• "In 1988 the bumpers were shortened before being completely replaced by plastic for 1989."
      I was not aware of this. Was that in the US models?

R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

I just saw that too! ... some errors, but I let it slide. The bumper "change" in 88 was shorter shocks, bumpers are the same, but the effect was a slightly tucked look
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

This is the '88 bumpers. Slightly tucked look from the shorter shocks.

Feedback Thread

Comment

> The S14 is probably the most durable and reliable of the E30 motors.

haha
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          > The S14 is probably the most desirable of the E30 motors.

haha
          probably what they meant
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            > The S14 is probably the most durable and reliable of the E30 motors.

haha
            ...and the M10 makes 300hp at the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
              My initial reaction:
              • "you'll pay around $10k for a modest four-cylinder or six-cylinder driver-quality sedan with an automatic transmission"
                I beg to differ. That's about double what I've seen lately.

Meh, that's not far off.

That white '89i, auto, coupe with over 100k miles just sold for about $10k.

I would bet that car was running on all its original bushings too.
              1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

There are plenty of great E30’s under 5k still

Comment

And I thought Bat commenters were a little wacky. Sheesh! I don't know what the hell that guy that supposedly worked at BMW in the 80s was saying.

Nice little write up though.
                  90 Bronzit 325is
                  16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

I mean this should really help for insurance tho right? Like in case of a total loss you would have a better chance of a better payout I would assume

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                      I mean this should really help for insurance tho right? Like in case of a total loss you would have a better chance of a better payout I would assume

Good point. It should help.
                      90 Bronzit 325is

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post

I have an agreed-value policy with Hagerty, so, from what I understand, they'll pay out that value if the car gets totaled. They won't write you a policy if you declare something crazy like $100k for a '90 325is. I think I've set mine at $22k, so if the values continue to climb, I will need to up that.
                        R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                        └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                          I have an agreed-value policy with Hagerty, so, from what I understand, they'll pay out that value if the car gets totaled. They won't write you a policy if you declare something crazy like $100k for a '90 325is. I think I've set mine at $22k, so if the values continue to climb, I will need to up that.
                          I have an agreed value policy with State Farm. It's set for $15k.

"From what I understand" is completely right. On paper it sounds like I get $15k if, God Forbid, anything happens. But talking to the agent made me more confused. Like I'd only get market value.

If I got a check for 3 grand you'd see a mushroom cloud form over the SW region of the US.

I'll be making a trip to my SF office this weekend.
                          90 Bronzit 325is

Comment

Originally posted by laidback93 View Post
                            I have an agreed value policy with State Farm. It's set for $15k.

"From what I understand" is completely right. On paper it sounds like I get $15k if, God Forbid, anything happens. But talking to the agent made me more confused. Like I'd only get market value.

If I got a check for 3 grand you'd see a mushroom cloud form over the SW region of the US.

I'll be making a trip to my SF office this weekend.

Agreed value on a collector car policy is just that. They will pay the agreed value in the case of a total loss.

Agreed Value on a standard auto policy typically means actual market value up to the agreed value. The coverage is designed to allow a customer to insure a vehicle for less than market value. Usually fleet customers who buy vehicles at a big discount.
                            Lots of agents don't understand how it works.
                            If you read your policy it will be spelled out though in the Comprehensive and Collision section.
                            1991 318iC
                            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                              Agreed value on a collector car policy is just that. They will pay the agreed value in the case of a total loss.

Agreed Value on a standard auto policy typically means actual market value up to the agreed value. The coverage is designed to allow a customer to insure a vehicle for less than market value. Usually fleet customers who buy vehicles at a big discount.
                              Lots of agents don't understand how it works.
                              If you read your policy it will be spelled out though in the Comprehensive and Collision section.
                              I just reviewed my policy again and I'm 99% sure that I'm covered to my agree upon value.

It's listed under my endorsement as:

6171CJ - ANTIQUE OR CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLE (AGREED VALUE)

w/ $15K listed on the first page of my declarations.
                              90 Bronzit 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X