For those of you running 17's with big, meaty tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you running 17's with big, meaty tires

I've got a set of 17x9 style 32's (et26 I believe) and I'm running them using Max's hub adapter sleeves in the front on e36 hubs (+12mm) and Z4 hubs in the rear (+5mm IIRC, needs a spacer). I'm running Kamotors ultrawide flares

I want to maximize tire, but clearance in the front is a big issue. I slapped a 275/40 on one of the wheels to see what it would fit like and the wheel + tire diameter coupled with the increased offset makes for serious clearance issues.

Any of you folks running 255's+ have any input? Anyone ever have to trim the front valence?

255/40R17 fit on the front of mine with the ultra wides. That was a Federal RSR too which runs wide. I've got 235/40R17's on there at the moment, same tyre, runs a little wider, bit bigger than a regular 245. Valance is never a problem for me, I find its the sheet metal in the top of the guard where the inner liner used to bolt in. That combined with the metal on the rear of the guard, the bit thats pretty much an extension of the firewall. It scrubs on that even with 9 degrees of caster.

edit: Now I think of it, I did manage to wear a hole through one of the horns too actually.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

I slapped a 255/40 on one pair of the '32s this afternoon, so I can give them a test fit tomorrow. I'm happy if I can have 255's work :D

Comment

I currently am running 245/40/17 rs3s in the front, Running oem m3 front flares and another flares at offest 15 to clear everything.

Comment

Front end is fucked for fitment - seems like the old Treehouse CABs I have are the issue.

Comment

It seems that some metal working to the inner wheels well is needed for maximum clearance. It seems a 245/35/17 would be best, not sure they make tires that size in something sticky though.

Comment

I've just got offset M3 bushes in mine and it pushed it to over 9 degrees caster. Rubbed on the horn with the inner guard liners removed. Treehouse ones seem to give even more caster, so I'm not surprised.
              Just a little project im working on
              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

This is with stock e30 FCABs.

I think I'm gonna end up trimming the valence.

Comment

Also here's what 275's look like on a 17x9 Style 32, Z4 hubs on stock e30 TA's

Comment

Wow those z4 hubs seem like an even better option that the 318ti trailing arms
                    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

They use stock e30 wheel bearings

Comment

Doug Binder used to run 275 Hoosiers up front with flares he had to trim the valance if I remember correctly. I like to see the fitment of the rear I am getting some 255 40 r17 s for my style 32s with the same z4 5 lug setup for the rear. You say a 5mm spacer is needed to clear the control arm?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t you need higher offset wheels for better fitment? More like et40 when using sleeves.

Comment

What rotor/caliper combo are you guys using for the Z4 hub stuff? I have e30 m3 hubs on my race car with NASIEG caliper adapters, running e46 325i rotors and e39 540i calipers, but need I'd rather run cheaper Z4 hubs on my street car that I'm converting to 5 lug. Is there a cheaper/easy bolt-on brake setup?
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

^ https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422257

i'm using that guys kit with the e39 calipers he has the z4 option.
                              or u can just shave off 3mm whatever it is on what u have.

btw goes without saying don't get the chinese ebay hubs they have crazy run out
                              febi or even oem is still pretty cheap

these are 17x8 w/ 225s kinda a small tire but it has literally 0 camber
                              Enjoying the e30 by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X