Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bravo! You make this stuff look easy. :D

Comment

First chocolate shoes, now chocolate suspension parts.

Comment

how much did you pay for you 325ix

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          Bravo! You make this stuff look easy. :D
          Thanks Mike! Just taking it step by step ;)

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
          First chocolate shoes, now chocolate suspension parts.
          No for long!

Originally posted by Cosk82 View Post
          how much did you pay for you 325ix
          Haha, a lot less than what I have currenly invested in it :)

__

I called the company that is rebuilding my rear differential and they told me they had a few busy weeks but mine should be done and get send out this week.
          I also contacted the local-ish plating business and my parts well be done on Thursday so I'll go get them on Friday after work.
          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Another update :)

This week I received my rear differential from Hardeman. Looks a lot better than before!

Unfortunatly when removing the aluminium cover to remove the bushing, I noticed that it is cracked. Bummer.
            I'm pretty sure it's because of shipping as the cover has a little nick which is also present in the box that the diff came in..
            I already found an other diff locally for 50€, I'll probably pick that one up for it's cover. I did contact the company by mail, I'll call them again on Monday.
            Hopefully we can work something out.

There's no dirt or paint in the crack present. I'm sure it's because of shipping. :(

This Friday I also went to my local plating company to pick up my parts. I had given them my two sets of rear brake rotors as they were a bit rusty + these are iX Touring specific as they are vented. The guy told me they couldn't plate them as it's cast iron. However they did put them in the acid bath so all of the heavy rust is gone, only some flash rust was present which cleaned up very easy with a wire wheel, I coated them in some zinc spray for now to keep them from rusting further. When the guy got my parts, he told me there was a internal misunderstanding and they plated everything white. He told me I could take out the white plated hardware and they'll will plate the rest again in yellow this Monday..

So far the white plated stuff came out great!

I also got the front brake shields plates to give them some extra protection as they were quite rusty - these will get painted later on

I had my transfer case housing welded by a local machinist, today I went back to work and drill and tapped (M18x1.5) the drain hole again. After that I cleaned up the housing and coated it with a ceramic coating

Also started on the brake calipers, these got the same ceramic coating for some added protection.

Again specific rear pistons for the Touring, these are 35mm as the normal sedan ones are 34mm

Patiently waiting on getting reassembled :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

bummer about the diff cover. it looked so pretty. It can't just be welded along the crack or something?

Comment

This car is just amazing.... I am in LOVE

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  bummer about the diff cover. it looked so pretty. It can't just be welded along the crack or something?
                  I've contacted the company that rebuilt by diff and they've sent me a new one today :)
                  I wouldn't want it to crack further after welding though..

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                  This car is just amazing.... I am in LOVE
                  Thanks man!

____

On Monday I went and got my yellow plated nuts & bolts + some other parts.
                  I've also ordered a new Tranfser case bushing as my local dealer told me these are back ordered. They'll be available again at the end of August..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

The new cover arrived this week including a new gasket. Great service from Hardeman.
                    Although two fins are broken, nothing serious.

I had also ordered some copper nuts for the exhaust from my local hardware store, both M8 and M10.

And some new parts, I somehow forgot to order the gasket for the RMS carrier when I placed the two orders at Autodoc so I went ahead and got one from my local BMWdealer since that was the fastest way. I also got the dust caps for the front struts as mine were to far gone + fine thread nuts for the inner ball joints.

On Friday I evening I went back to my work so I could paint the parts black. Previously I was able to only do half of the parts and already ran out of piant. I'm guessing there was something off with my gun as I now used roughly 1.5L of the 5L black 2K I bought.

As my spray gun acted up again, I decided to use the one from my work. Pretty happy with the results. After I was done I went over everything with a light to see if I didn't miss a spot.

Today I cleaned up a couple of spots that showed some rust coming trough the underseal. I stripped the spots back down to bare metal and treated them with 2 layers of Brunox. When I did the whole rust repair on my Touring, I wasn't able to get to these spots as the transmission and transfer case were still in the car.

While the Brunox was drying, I got started on cleaning up the back of the engine block and removing the RMS carrier to replace the RMS itself.
                    I also used the method with hammering in a bolt and bread to remove the old crankshaft bearing, worked great!

Again my seal driver kit came in handy to hammer the RMS into place. Definitly it's money worth.
                    All torqued down to spec.
                    Last edited by D.Martijn; 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Photo dump of my suspension bits. :)

This Sunday morning my brother and I went back to my work to press in all the bearings and bushings.
                      Front struts, Fag bearings, new dust shields & zinc plated hubs installed.

Rear trailing arms, Also FAG bearings, new Metzger dust shields and Lemforder bushings.

OEM BMW iX rear subframe bushings

And the LCA's, New Lemforder inner and outer balljoints, Lemforder M3 bushings. (I had already installed these some time ago but they were still great. However I also decided to get them plated as they started rusting a little bit already)

Then we went back to the workshop and got started with assembling the rear suspension. I also had the hardware for the fuel tank plated + we added some more foam between the fuel tank and body. Hopefully this will quiet down the humming noise fromt the fuel pump.

Also got the brakes installed

Last but not least, we got the flywheel, clutch and transmission in.

Got the Z3 1.9 short shifter also installed together with the CondorSpeedShop gearlink bushings.
                      What a difference! Probably halved the throw :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

insane workmanship quality and detail - factory level - respect!

you clearly have the most touring knowledge here so i thought i would bug you with a simple question... im inspecting floors for rust and it's not looking good. i have the all the interior and carpet out but can't figure out how to detach the rear seat backs?

learning a lot from your thread, thank you.
                        '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

Originally posted by mxtx View Post
                          insane workmanship quality and detail - factory level - respect!

you clearly have the most touring knowledge here so i thought i would bug you with a simple question... im inspecting floors for rust and it's not looking good. i have the all the interior and carpet out but can't figure out how to detach the rear seat backs?

learning a lot from your thread, thank you.
                          Thanks man! I appreciate your kind comments If you need info about other Touring related stuff, ask! :)

But, I'm certainly not a Touring guru by all means as I had to use google to figure out how to remove those rear seats. :mrgreen:
                          You need to tilt the seats forward a little and pull on them, it took my several tries to remove them though..

Here's a how to; https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-9-781-847/amp/

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Got my front struts assembled, new BMW top hat bearing, Sachs shock damper + plenty of antiseize on the nut :)

Front and rear CV shafts, used GNK boots. Except on the rear outer side where I used Meyle's since I coudln't find GNKs for the outers..

I also painted the OCAP tie rod assemblies as they arrived without any. Again plenty of copper grease on the threads.

And finally the rear driveshaft which is iX Touring specific, luckily for me the boot is still good.

This wouldn't be an E30 rebuild thread without some more rust repairs right.?
                            Front right brake pipe mounting point. I've previously treated this spot but it was already pretty rusty. Now with everything removed I had enough place to finally sort this.

While letting the paint dry, I pried some more with a screwdriver and found some more rust at the front of the wheel well. Pretty common spot as well. Had to remake the flange as it also disentigrated while hitting it with a wirewheel.

Already got the new patch welded in and treated further with Brunox but didn't take a picture yet.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

dang. rust is no fun. I'm pretty sure I have a handful of spot that are hiding from obvious sight as well. Probably in the same spots as you.

Comment

Wow my iX needs an undercarriage restoration like this. Looks amazing!
                                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                                #snwmble

Current:
                                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Working...
                                X