No announcement yet.

Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The metallic one is pretty awesome. I don't think i've ever seen a color like that before that pearls into a champagne color. Very cool.

Comment

excited to see what you do with this

-
      Project
      Parts for Sale
      Feedback
      YouTube Channel

Comment

So the colour decision was a long and involved one.
        I had been saving up about 18 months to fund this paint job and body work because I wanted a ‘a new’ car, I wanted it done by an excellent body shop (recently won best body & best paint @ Motorex this year) so I knew it would cost a fortune.

For the longest time I had been planning one particular style based upon stuff I had / had liked previously. I ordered an E92 335 back in 09 and it had a black / saddle brown interior and I LOVED it. I also flipped out every time I saw an individual in Champagne Quartz Metallic (CQM).

So that was going to be my jam. 100%.

Then someone on E30 Enthusiasts Australia posted this link to a car done by H&R’s boss – an orange 318is… I know it well know, it seems the whole internet does, but I had never seen it or heard about…. Jaw dropped… that colour!

So, we did a lot of spray outs on panels, solicited opinions from far and wide. Of my extended family only my wife thought orange was cool. Huge votes for CQM So orange it was.

Glad I did. Whilst CQM is an awesome colour, it would have been ‘just another dark-ish BMW’. Not that I want to stand out, but I don’t mind a little bit of pizazz… so anyway it all happened and we have orange.

I thought a solid colour would be cheaper to apply than a tri-layer pearl like CQM. Not so, not really anyway. Needs 3x white base coat and 5x orange coat to get the coverage and vibrancy. That plus clear + sand + flow coat + flatten + polish + flatten + polish… still ends up being crazy labour.. AT the time I was freaking out as I thought I had a big budget and I obliterated it by 25% (percentage small, numerically large).

Still, glad it’s done and glad it’s orange.

It is a great paint job. I wanted everything coloured orange. I didn’t’ want any area to reveal that it may have once been a white car. So the body guys were at times using hobby air brushes to fill in every single nook and cranny. Hot rod guys… they take their time. Many discussions were had on the interior “WHY paint it if you’re just going to sound deaden it?’ my response… I WILL know… and that’s all that matters.

Inside underway

Various colour sanding stages.

Many little details were improved. Like every sealed edge of twin skin panels was stripped and resealed in a VERY tidy manner.

Base coat done

First coat of clear going down

[img][/img]

First clear coat done on a few panels

Two weeks of sanding and polishing later and the finish is really quite hard to fault

And that’s all for today ��
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
          Wow, so sorry to hear about your old car, it was my favorite on the board and almost made me buy LMs (I actually think I still may).

As for the color, soooo many great choices.

My first choice would be Porsche slate grey 6601 x2 although you already had a grey one so if you want something different. I say Graphite Blue Metallic.

thanks bud, it was a sad, sad day... i hope this one makes up for the loss :)
          88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Looks like some absolutely gorgeous paint work!

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Everytime I see an orange BMW I'm thinking....
              1) 2002 roundie Inka Orange
              2) Jagermeister DTM

Beautiful color!!!

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                ..... “WHY paint it if you’re just going to sound deaden it?’ my response… I WILL know… and that’s all that matters.
                Are you an engineer? sounds like something an engineer would say.

Well its certainly orange! A bold but great choice i think.

Comment

ohhhhh yea subbed.... been a while since a really juicy build thread came up!
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Well look at mister copy cat over here!
                    I do things.

Comment

Man, your paint is absolutely flawless, looks beautiful, mine is well, less than flawless.

Car is going to look great when it's done.
                      Fuereorange crew is growing and growing.

I do things.

Comment

Wow, that paint is flawless. This project is like an OCDer's wet dream. Awesome work, can't wait to see what's next
                        '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Nice job!! May I ask how much that cost you? My repaint is next year.
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

The level of detail is amazing. I like the color choice but after you showed the CQM and Porsche Graphite Blue metallic I love both of those colors. CQM looks so classy.
                            OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                            84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

phenomenal paint work.
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                Nice job!! May I ask how much that cost you? My repaint is next year.
                                an amount that makes no rational sense, pm.

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                                Wow, that paint is flawless. This project is like an OCDer's wet dream. Awesome work, can't wait to see what's next
                                Thanks, I hope it all comes together well :)

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                                Looks like some absolutely gorgeous paint work!
                                Hey thank you, I have a lot of respect for all the projects you've turned out over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X