Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two 30s: Now with 100% More Boost!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's go time. Transmission is bolted up, along with starter, power steering pump, and alternator. Everything except for the AFM and ICV is wired, plumbed, etc. It goes in tomorrow.

Anyone have any pre-startup checklist pointers? Hoping to fire it up tomorrow.Will have to Hopefully get it out for a drive too but will have to get the clutch master in and swap rear subframes as well first. This one has an auto driveshaft aggressively tightened to its 4.10 diff.

Also, anyone looking for a 4.10 LSD?

Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by the_eskimo_wonder View Post
      Yes, the carpet is abysmal, but not to worry because I ended buying a set of H&R Race springs off Julien on here and he offloaded a bunch of shit he didn't want anymore on me. So now my roommates can be mad at me instead of his shopmates.

Grabbed a black carpet that's not quite as holey, a completely shaved/debadged deck lid to replace my badly dented one, and his old dash that he literally pulled straight from the trash can.
      guilty as charged
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

IT"S ALIIIIVVVEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the engine in in about an hour and a half on Saturday. Getting everything else hooked up, rejiggered, replacing a couple hoses, splicing reverse switch/neutral safety switch wires, etc. took the better part of the weekend.

Anyways, here it is all snug in it's new home. Aaaaaaaand, first start video! Click the image and it'll take you to the video.

Untitled
        Build Thread

Comment

And she's a driver. Got the last of the driveline and manual swap bits finished up and took her for a drive after Christmas. Better than any other gift I got this year.

Heading to the exhaust shop soon so here's my last video of her idling with open headers (gotta click to view). God I'm gonna miss that sound. The video just doesn't do it justice. I had no idea a BMW could sound so deep and throaty

Going to have them weld on the all stock exhaust that the previous owner had a second cat welded on instead of replacing the factory one (so yes it has 2 cats in series). Hopefully that and a smog guy that's lax on the visual inspection (headers) will get it to pass smog. Otherwise I'm gonna have to shell out some serious $$$. Luckily I have a property in a non-smog stringent area to register it at. Will only have to pass once, then never again until I get rid of the car, and then it's their problem.

IMG_0275
          Build Thread

Comment

Been a while since I've updated. Car is running and driving decently. Got a Sssquid chip in, but now troubleshooting a vacuum leak. It's only pulling 10psi of vacuum at idle, which seems too low even with the aggressive cam. Hopefully going to have enough time to get a smoke test tomorrow before I head to Radwood.

On a cosmetic note, it finally got some wheels and tires that fit properly and are real sticky. 16x8s with 225/45 Toyo Proxes R1R. Also picked up my custom license plate after months of waiting and gave the paint a good clay bar, buff, and polish. Doesn't fully look like it belongs in a junkyard now.

Here's me being bad at taking pictures (and yes it has a distinct good and bad side).

Build Thread

Comment

Great thread so far!

I'm sub'd keep it up.

Comment

Did you coat it in Collinite-845

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

No Collinite. I used a clay bar, Meguiars Ultimate Compound with an orbital buffer, then a cheap carnauba wax I had laying around.

Anyway, Radwood was a success despite my poorly running car. A photographer in our convoy to the event even managed to make it look kinda cool.

Also I finally had a spot of luck and scored a pretty straight black hood at the junkyard. My buddy showed up before they opened, ran straight to the car the first day they got it in, pulled the hood and hid it for me to come by later and grab it. Even warded some people off from trying to take it from him. 2 hours of paint correction and we're one body panel closer to a nice car...

And lastly a bonus pic. I bought yet another old German car with 2 buddies for the low price of $400 each. It's a 2001 CLK320 and aside from finicky power seats, a large dent in the passenger rear quarter, and a now-replaced cracked oil pan, it's pretty nice.

I'll keep some updates flowing on that project here too. I don't want to completely ruin the surprise but I can tell you it's future involves a sketchy home-fabbed lift kit, mud tires, and a Sawzall... :devil:

Build Thread

Comment

More updates!

First... I got a new tow vehicle. Fully loaded Z71 LTZ with the big 6.2l aluminum V8. Hauls ass with butt heaters and coolers.

I'm taking a few weeks off before starting a new job so I've had time to do the annoying time consuming stuff on the car. Mainly being the rear subframe overhaul.

Here it is going back in with new poly bushings, new pads and rotors off the old white car, rebuilt calipers, new e-brake cables, and the 3.73 LSD out of the old car.

But here's the best part of the entire update... The stars lined up and I got to actually pull the trigger on something I wasn't sure I was ever going to actually do.

Time to throw some boost at this engine and see what happens!

Build Thread

Comment

What year did you go for on the Silverado? I’m finally coming to grips with needing a better tow pig than an X5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

But here's the best part of the entire update... The stars lined up and I got to actually pull the trigger on something I wasn't sure I was ever going to actually do.

Time to throw some boost at this engine and see what happens!
                        Excited to see the turbo kit on your car. It's going to look really good on that clean engine. Make sure to take a lot of pictures along the way!

Originally posted by 2mAn
                        The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by justinpirie View Post
                          What year did you go for on the Silverado? I’m finally coming to grips with needing a better tow pig than an X5...

This ones a 2017. I was driving a 2011 Sierra Denali that was basically the exact same truck but need a newer vehicle for my job.

Chevy/GMC makes an unbeatable workhorse of a truck and I wouldn’t drive anything else. This truck is as quiet and comfortable as any premium luxury vehicle I’ve ever driven but also has gobs of power on tap. It runs a flat 14 second 1/4 mile and has a 12,500 lb tow rating. Hard to express how much I love this truck.

Though I will say the 8 speed trans isn’t my favorite. That’s a lot of gears man.

Build Thread

Comment

This ones a 2017. I was driving a 2011 Sierra Denali that was basically the exact same truck but need a newer vehicle for my job.

Chevy/GMC makes an unbeatable workhorse of a truck and I wouldn’t drive anything else. This truck is as quiet and comfortable as any premium luxury vehicle I’ve ever driven but also has gobs of power on tap. It runs a flat 14 second 1/4 mile and has a 12,500 lb tow rating. Hard to express how much I love this truck.

Though I will say the 8 speed trans isn’t my favorite. That’s a lot of gears man.

Nice!!!

I’ve been looking at a 2015+ High Country. Any thoughts or tips to look out for?

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                              Excited to see the turbo kit on your car. It's going to look really good on that clean engine. Make sure to take a lot of pictures along the way!

Thanks man! And will do!

Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by justinpirie View Post
                                Nice!!!

I’ve been looking at a 2015+ High Country. Any thoughts or tips to look out for?

The 2017+ have a trans computer that’s locked and untunable. You can get it unlocked for tuning but it’s $400 and you have to pull it out and ship it out to HPTuners. The 15-16 are tunable by any reputable tuner like Blackbear Performance if you do an engine tune. If you plan to do any performance stuff I’d probably recommend the 15-16 just for making that easier.

Of course if you don’t plan on modding it, you can ignore all that.

Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X