Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beamerboi View Post
    [ATTACH]126234[/ATTACH]
    So I put gear oil thru this hole “steel breather” did I screw up [emoji51] I’ve come to far for me to mess this up like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You put GEAR oil into the transmission??????!!

Does the gear oil smell like sulfur/rotten eggs?

Does the bottle say GL-5

Empty it out now seriously.

Ask questions later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s this sorry.

Comment

It’s this sorry.

Okay that's fine bro.

Personally i use redline MTL

Butter smooth difference that one is a bit thinner for colder weather.

Gl-5 rated gear oil is bad for transmission. The sulfur will eat the brass within the tranny and would lead to failure and needing a new transmission within a span of 500 miles.

Gl-5 oil offers great protection for the driveshaft/final drive/differntial though and that's the only place it should go, it usually smells very very bad like rotten eggs, that's the sulfur buddy and I'm sure it has lead to most failed transmissions without anyone knowing the wiser. Let me look in my Bentley manual bro I'll show you

Get a benley manual btw

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
          Okay that's fine bro.

Personally i use redline MTL

Butter smooth difference that one is a bit thinner for colder weather.

Gl-5 rated gear oil is bad for transmission. The sulfur will eat the brass within the tranny and would lead to failure and needing a new transmission within a span of 500 miles.

Gl-5 oil offers great protection for the driveshaft though and that's the only place it should go, it usually smells very very bad like rotten eggs, that's the sulfur buddy and I'm sure it has lead to most failed transmissions without anyone knowing the wiser. Let me look in my Bentley manual bro I'll show you

Get a benley manual btw

I have factory manual on a thumb drive a friend just gave me. Another friend just said to drain the oil any idea how to drain it? I keep looking but I can’t find clear drain and fill hole locations? I can’t believe i did this I’m so close to completing this haha.

Comment

Btw make sure before you try starting it . open up the valve cover and pour some oil on there, lube it all up, it should be very dry up there. Up to you bro

Comment

Btw make sure before you try starting it . open up the valve cover and pour some oil on there, lube it all up, it should be very dry up there. Up to you bro

Will do. I just wanna get this baby rolling it’s been too long!

Comment

I have factory manual on a thumb drive a friend just gave me. Another friend just said to drain the oil any idea how to drain it? I keep looking but I can’t find clear drain and fill hole locations? I can’t believe i did this I’m so close to completing this haha.

The Bentley manual will show you. You need paperback not the thumb drive stuff. It's to complicated.

Anyways do not proceed with this job please.

Make sure your mind is straight find the FILL HOLE FIRST AND OPEN IT.

DO NOT OPEN THE DRAIN FIRST.

I've had friends open the drain first , purposefully or by accident. and the realized the drop in pressure pulls in the fill bolt and your fucked since you wouldn't be able to open the fill hole.
                But let's not consider it's a 30 year old car. The fill hole might be welded shut by now.

So please open the fill hole first.

It's on the passenger side of the tranny, middle height of tranny. Drain hole is directly on bottom same Allen bolt. Don't screw the bolt bro or mess up. I used a rubber mallet to make sure my wrench sat inside the bolt perfect before taking it off.

Get a 17mm allen for the bolts I believe.

Get yourself a pump for the fluid I have this.
                Plews 55001 Lubrimatic Fluid... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQW5LK...p_mob_ap_share

Last edited by Sonny; 02-24-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

The Bentley manual will show you. You need paperback not the thumb drive stuff. It's to complicated.

Anyways do not proceed with this job please.

Make sure your mind is straight find the FILL HOLE FIRST AND OPEN IT.

DO NOT OPEN THE DRAIN FIRST.

people always open the drain first and when the realized the drop in pressure pulls in the fill bolt and your fucked since you wouldn't be able to open the fill hole.

Ok noted. Yeah I got ahead of myself yesterday. Not good. I have a neighbor with a lot of experience willing to help when he’s back so I’ll prob just wait for him and get that guide ordered.

Comment

Ok noted. Yeah I got ahead of myself yesterday. Not good. I have a neighbor with a lot of experience willing to help when he’s back so I’ll prob just wait for him and get that guide ordered.

Yeah bro I have the thumb drive to I couldn't take it for a week. My car was getting worse. Aha as soon as the real manual came in the mail my car idles at 800rpms and gets 40mpg again :)

$50 is great worth it, I'd pay $300 for the book if I had to. You'll know what I mean once you flip through it.

Oh and keep paper towels handy, keep the book clean bro, everyone like to leave it oiled up and never use it again.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Any updates?

Not yet waiting for a friend to get back from out of town. He’s really knowledgeable and is gonna help me for free.

Comment

Any updates?

Got it man thanks for your help! Had to buy the hex bits but hey now I have them for the future.
                          17mm both came right out. I was really nervous about that mistake.

Comment

Got it man thanks for your help! Had to buy the hex bits but hey now I have them for the future.
                            17mm both came right out. I was really nervous about that mistake.

Sweet great to hear!!! check the bottom drain. Should be magnetized see if it's got metal shavings. Gives you an idea of your tranny's health. I saw allot of shavings on mine so I just try to remember not to stress the tranny and so far I'm happy.

I ran cheap $5 atf through my tranny let it sit overnight as a "rinse" then drained her and filed with Redline MTL.

And always put her 1st,2nd and then in reverse Everytime you want to reverse be it a cold start or not.

Up to you :) be safe hope all is great

Comment

I looked in there everything clean as a whistle it’s a very good transmission. From what I can see and what I’ve been told. I only added 2 quarts of the stuff that I showed you.

Comment

Sweet great to hear!!! If I were you honestly I'd check the bottom drain. Should be a magnet if it's got metal shavings.

I ran cheap $5 atf through my tranny let it sit overnight as a "rinse" then drained her and filed with Redline MTL

I guess I flushed with the good stuff lol. I have a lot left still I ordered it originally for a auto so I have a lot of quarts.

Comment

Working...
                                X