F15 X5: Good Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Work on them all the time. Relatively problem free cars just get one that has a good record and if possible a CPO with extended maintenance. Only issues with the N55 is the oil leaks. Eventually it will need the valve cover, oil pan and Oil filter housing done and around 65-70k a set of plugs and injectors the direct injection piezo injectors dont last like conventional injectors do.
    ^ this is great info. Thank you!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

I have an e70 x5 M57 Diesel. Love it- especially after deleting the emissions BS. Not sure what years the F15 was still available with the N57 diesel (up to 2017?)

Seeing you are in CA, not sure if that would ever fly. But I was getting 18/28 MPG prior to delete and after I'm around 20/34 MPG (with the extra +110hp +150tq)

Torque monsters, reliable and hitting 90k with very minimal issues.....
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Headed to the dealer with pops to (hopefully) pick-up a 16’ CPO X5 x3.5i with 26K miles that’s got a lot of the bells and whistles. Premium/Cold Weather Pkg. Dark Graphite on Mocha Brown.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

We bought a 2016 X5 M Sport new with performance delivery in SC (end of the year incentives made it an awesome deal). So far (knock on wood), this car has required nothing but oil and tire changes.

Depending on the miles I would get the N55 walnut blasted, its pretty cheap but its maintenance I would do every 30k-40k, it prevents build up, its recommended for all the N54/N55 and I am sure others.

We really like our X5, in MSport guise with the adjustable suspension its handles much smaller than it is.

The X5 is an odd duck like many of the F series in that how it feels inside really depends on how you option it. If you get a base model with not many options it is nice, but to me feels a bit cheaper and X3ish to me personally especially for how expensive it is.

Optioned up it looks and feels like an entirely different car inside.

Stay away from the V8's those engines are super fast but a nightmare. The N55 has more than enough power to move this thing well, it never feels wanting, and if you want you can tune it and its a rocket.

Here is ours, I dont think you can go wrong with an F15, I have never really heard owners of that version of X5 complain about it, including myself.

With snow tires, if you get the Msport it will have summer tires on super wide rims
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
            We bought a 2016 X5 M Sport new with performance delivery in SC (end of the year incentives made it an awesome deal). So far (knock on wood), this car has required nothing but oil and tire changes.

Depending on the miles I would get the N55 walnut blasted, its pretty cheap but its maintenance I would do every 30k-40k, it prevents build up, its recommended for all the N54/N55 and I am sure others.

We really like our X5, in MSport guise with the adjustable suspension its handles much smaller than it is.

The X5 is an odd duck like many of the F series in that how it feels inside really depends on how you option it. If you get a base model with not many options it is nice, but to me feels a bit cheaper and X3ish to me personally especially for how expensive it is.

Optioned up it looks and feels like an entirely different car inside.

Stay away from the V8's those engines are super fast but a nightmare. The N55 has more than enough power to move this thing well, it never feels wanting, and if you want you can tune it and its a rocket.

Here is ours, I dont think you can go wrong with an F15, I have never really heard owners of that version of X5 complain about it, including myself.

With snow tires, if you get the Msport it will have summer tires on super wide rims

The n63’s are are fun engines if you just don’t care haha. I got my e70 msport with the n63. But I’m also a tech and have stacks of parts so when shit breaks i can just pop on a part off the shelf and it doesn’t cost me a dime. I think in a couple of years once my x5 starts to get closer to 100k I’m gonna drop it and either get an f15 M or a G05 50i. I really like the new x5’s

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

The n63’s are are fun engines if you just don’t care haha. I got my e70 msport with the n63. But I’m also a tech and have stacks of parts so when shit breaks i can just pop on a part off the shelf and it doesn’t cost me a dime. I think in a couple of years once my x5 starts to get closer to 100k I’m gonna drop it and either get an f15 M or a G05 50i. I really like the new x5’s
              I have an N63 in my G12 750, that thing rocks, but don’t want it out of warranty. The N55 doesn’t scare me lol.

Comment

I have an N63 in my G12 750, that thing rocks, but don’t want it out of warranty. The N55 doesn’t scare me lol.

G12’s are awesome cars. I loved the n63r engine campaign to replace the turbo feed lines. Paid like 18 hours and I knew a trick to do it in 30 min. Many good pay checks when we were getting 7-8 a day and i could knock out 2-3 a day.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Bending those lines instead of removing the entire turbo, amazing how dealers nationwide figure out the same "tricks". I hate N63's, in fact I give those jobs away at work.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                  1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                  1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                  1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                  1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                  1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                  Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                  1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                  1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

G12’s are awesome cars. I loved the n63r engine campaign to replace the turbo feed lines. Paid like 18 hours and I knew a trick to do it in 30 min. Many good pay checks when we were getting 7-8 a day and i could knock out 2-3 a day.
                    Good to know!! Although I wont have the G12 that long:)

But damn the Tq is awesome. I was thinking of getting a racechip for it.

Comment

Hey man I bought my wife a '13 X5 w/ 70K miles a year and a half ago.

Now has 86k. Has needed a water pump, which I had the shop install. Otherwise has been great.

If you can't afford a few grand a year in maintenance you probably should not own a newer BMW off warrenty, but with that said, it's an excellent SUV. High quality interior, good acceleration/braking/handling for a heavy auto and most importantly, she likes it.

Just drove it down to Charleston, SC for a short trip and super comfortable on the highway with good passing power.

Was ~$60k new and bought for a little more than a third of MSRP. I think if you're looking for a lux SUV and trying to save the depreciation difference, a '16 N55 X5 makes sense..

Comment

Well.... after 4 months of persistence (and my parents wanting a car with an unpopular brown interior) - sold! Pics to follow tonight. Now comes the trick of keeping it from mom until the surprise this weekend. :-)

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                          Well.... after 4 months of persistence (and my parents wanting a car with an unpopular brown interior) - sold! Pics to follow tonight. Now comes the trick of keeping it from mom until the surprise this weekend. :-)
                          Cant wait to see, what unpopular brown? Mocha? It wasnt unpopular it was just an expensive design option that came with the leather dash. Dealers didnt carry them usually so if you wanted it you had to order it. Most of them were black or tan.

Comment

Cant wait to see, what unpopular brown? Mocha? It wasnt unpopular it was just an expensive design option that came with the leather dash. Dealers didnt carry them usually so if you wanted it you had to order it. Most of them were black or tan.

Bingo! Dark Graphite on Mocha. It's spending the night at the dealer as they finish scrubbing the interior and ironing out some imperfections. Pops isn't the biggest fan of the 19's so he's already thinking about switching them out for something else, also to be wrapped in non-run flats.

Immediate plans:

- Trailier hitch
                            - Running boards (either used or aftermarket replicas)
                            - Different wheels with non run-flat tires
                            - OEM Space saver spare to go in the trunk

BTW - Where in Chicago are you? Ex-Chicagoan here.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

FWIW I really like my Mocha interior. Which hitch are you going for? I went for the invisihitch which is the only one that gives you full towing capacity but $$$. I think they’re all a pita to install but invisihitch customer service was excellent when the tow module died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                                Bingo! Dark Graphite on Mocha. It's spending the night at the dealer as they finish scrubbing the interior and ironing out some imperfections. Pops isn't the biggest fan of the 19's so he's already thinking about switching them out for something else, also to be wrapped in non-run flats.

Immediate plans:

- Trailier hitch
                                - Running boards (either used or aftermarket replicas)
                                - Different wheels with non run-flat tires
                                - OEM Space saver spare to go in the trunk

BTW - Where in Chicago are you? Ex-Chicagoan here.
                                Nice! Mocha is worth the wait the extra stitching, leather dash and overall feel makes the interior a much nicer place to be.

I wish I could go non-runflats, We have the third row so no space for the space saver spare.

I second getting the invisahitch, expensive but the best solution for these SUVs.

Well I am from the east coast, moved to downtown Chicago across from Union Station about 6 years ago, now I live in the North Shore area.

Comment

Working...
                                X