Bought another damn E30.... 91' 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought another damn E30.... 91' 318is

Well as the title indicates I have been carried into another purchase of a E30....

I was quite against any new cars in my life as I need to finish my 3.0L E30 Touring, but this offer came about and the car was literally exactly what I would ever buy.

This car lived on a small gulf island a two hours from me called salt spring island. this old beast has been in the family since new, and the benefits from this are real. EVERYTHING is stock... Nothing has been altered. From what I can tell all the clips everywhere on the car are full accounted for, and nothing has been played with. I am quite strict with what I would buy and this car has really ticked off all the boxes.

It is 98% rust free,it retains the original suspension, shift knob, mtech 1 wheel etc.

I have to admit I never got weak in the knees about M42's, but after putting a few hundred miles on this car I can understand why people go nuts about how this car drives. Its really well balanced from the factory, and in general quite fun. The motor revs easily, and doesn't feel THAT much slower then a stock M20. Its also dead reliable as everyone has proven.

My plan is to bring this car to pretty much new condition. Not sure what will happen once that concludes, but at this point I intend to drive it daily along with my E46 Touring.

I will do my best to keep updates coming as I do work. I plan to finish the light resto within the next two months.

Wish me luck!

fullsizeoutput_2ff by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011592 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011593 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011594 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011596 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011597 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011598 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011600 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

- The touring has not been forgotten. I am just waiting till june before getting it to the body shop.

P1011599 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

Looks like a nice one. M42s are my favorite e30 engines. Congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Congrats! Nothing like a DS 318 :-)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

[QUOTE=fresh_TD;4976495]Looks like a nice one. M42s are my favorite e30 engines. Congrats!

Thank you! I have not driven many M42's, so it was a pleasure to really see what it was made of. As I stated earlier, I can see why people like them, but I am still a inline 6 fan at heart.

Comment

Nice find and cool story! Did the CDN market 318is not come with an airbag wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            Nice find and cool story! Did the CDN market 318is not come with an airbag wheel?
            I think it may have been an option because my Canadian market 318is came with an airbag wheel, but I dont have the original invoice to see if it was an add on or not.
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Cool little find! I am also in the midst of accumulating parts to refresh another '91 318is, also a stock survivor. Looking forward to the progress.
              1991 318is
              2004 330ci
              2011 335d

Comment

So there are three now? Are they all the same color too? awesome find!

Comment

Very nice. Great find. Looking forward to the updates on the 318is and the touring.

Comment

Looks good....great find......I just picked up another e30 myself.... a 86 325es white ....but trying to keep it a secret from my wife or I may have to move.....looking forward to your upgrades.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind comments!

My lady has been rather okay with three-E30's at our house. She drove the 318is and doesn't really sense the air of why its special, but she has been buttered up with the E30 Touring and our daily, 04 325ix touring with a manual transmission.

I wont really be doing any upgrades to the car. I just intend to bring it back to original shape. My touring is really getting the dream build treatment, but I would not consider doing the same thing with this car.

Today I removed the cluster and tightened the temp gauge 7mm bolt so that is started to show accurate information. I also removed the drivers seat and brought it to the upholstery shop. For fun I removed one of the recaro highbacks in my touring and installed it in the IS. I usually drive that car like a grampa, but with the hugging support I seem to be more of a rascal behind the wheel when corners come up.

I will keep more info coming ahead!

Jan -

Comment

Awesome find man! Looking forward to the progress!

Comment

Just a quick update...

This weekend I pulled the 318is into the shop and went to town. I replaced the RH front fender, cleaned up any rust I could find and painted the front valance.

The RH front fender went in smoothly, and while its evident to me that it is not an exact colour, I don't think many people will notice.

This car came withe mud flaps and once I removed them I found rust in the areas where the bolts attached to the body. I ground it down to bare metal and then used POR 15 to make sure it doesnt come back. Seam sealer also plugged the holes. They were super small spots, but I am pretty fanatic about rust.

The rear battery tray was starting to show some surface rust, but 30 seconds with the rolock wheel and some POR-spray paint will keep any corrosion away for many years to come.

I redid the rock guard all around and it came out really well. On the front valance I just painted it the stock paint colour.

Also brought the drivers seat to the upholstery shop. I will need to wait a month for service, but they do great work, so its worth the wait.

- Next update - Painting wheels and bumper trim, front grill, full clean of interior.

P1011603 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011604 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011605 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011606 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011609 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011610 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011611 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011613 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011614 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011615 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011616 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

P1011617 by Jan Willem Wilderom, on Flickr

Comment

Great find and nice colour...you had to buy it.
                            Surely it can't have a lot of km if from on Saltspring?
                            I will be visiting Comox/Courtenay in a month and hope to see your car in town for a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by finnmole View Post
                              Great find and nice colour...you had to buy it.
                              Surely it can't have a lot of km if from on Saltspring?
                              I will be visiting Comox/Courtenay in a month and hope to see your car in town for a closer look.

I would really enjoy meeting with fellow E30 owners anytime!

Please reach out and stop into my house. I have a few of these cars hanging around at the moment.

Will you be taking your E30 over from whiterock?

Comment

Working...
                              X