Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the E30 318is a fun driving car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn...you guys must be way too young. Back in the '90s, Ford V8 in the Thunderbird made only 150 hp and it was a fun car to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
      Maybe I'm just bitter about only having 145hp, but it seems like the 4AGE in particular has more potential than the M42.

This guy for example: http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

...seems to think a 200hp 4AG is relatively easy to build.
      A 200hp m42 is literally the same to build as a 200hp 4AG.

And they come in much better looking cars.
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        Damn...you guys must be way too young. Back in the '90s, Ford V8 in the Thunderbird made only 150 hp and it was a fun car to drive.
        Sadly, both of those are debatable. The smart cookies took the 2.3 Lima turbo instead, which was probably the right choice.

Comment

An engine swap.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            Followed by being rear ended cause its so damn slow haha.
            I refreshed an M10 for a guy with an 84 318i with an automatic. It was literally the slowest most mind numbingly terrible experience of my life. I thought I was going to get killed on the interstate because it would barely go the speed limit lol.

Comment

Maybe I'm just bitter about only having 145hp, but it seems like the 4AGE in particular has more potential than the M42.

This guy for example: http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

...seems to think a 200hp 4AG is relatively easy to build.
              I owned an Mr2, a 200hp 4AG is an expensive engine due to all the competition use. Parts cost a lot, and the people who know how to port them charge more than most are willing to pay. A 240hp formula Atlantic engine revs to 11k, and requires block girdles, a reinforced and braced valve cover, and a host of other very very specialized parts to get there. $20k+ easily. I've heard rumors of ~300hp max.

S42 was 308hp, but also a bit later in the tech department. I'd say both are somewhat evenly matched, but then you're still talking 1.6L vs 1.8L..
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
                I refreshed an M10 for a guy with an 84 318i with an automatic. It was literally the slowest most mind numbingly terrible experience of my life. I thought I was going to get killed on the interstate because it would barely go the speed limit lol.
                Haha, ironic isn't it? An E30/M10 is not a fun car, but a little hotrod M10 in a 2002 is such a fun combo... go figure.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

there is a 250hp+ m42 build on this forum. I too *think* the m42 is easy to get to 200hp. If I write it on a forum surely I know what Im talking about!

the m42 head is rumored to flow better than the s14. with itb kit and camshafts and standalone 200hp m42 is quote on quote easy. $4,000 to get there but who cares this is the internet.

m42 e30 is alot like a miata. 4 cylinder sports cars are the original sports car. Dont hate on the 318is, its a homage to the fun cars of the late 60s and before.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                    m42 e30 is alot like a miata.
                    pls ban
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                      there is a 250hp+ m42 build on this forum. I too *think* the m42 is easy to get to 200hp. If I write it on a forum surely I know what Im talking about!

the m42 head is rumored to flow better than the s14. with itb kit and camshafts and standalone 200hp m42 is quote on quote easy. $4,000 to get there but who cares this is the internet.

m42 e30 is alot like a miata. 4 cylinder sports cars are the original sports car. Dont hate on the 318is, its a homage to the fun cars of the late 60s and before.
                      No, 250 is difficult to hit N/A and still have a 1,000 hour engine.

Doubt it, but the valve angles are probably better considering when it was developed versus the S14.

I can see that it might have been a riff off of the frenetic nature of Alfa twin cams.

If anything, it's a homage to emissions requirements and CAFE, but I stand by my original statement that it was probably a twin cam development mule, and a requirement to compete in the marketplace.

Comment

This might make the M42 reasonably modern, in the power department...

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

But then the response of an M42 w/ lightened flywheel - gone.
                          1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

But then the response of an M42 w/ lightened flywheel - gone.
                            Wait what?

I thought this would make the car quicker to respond?

I really like my 4-cylinder and this thread is kinda making me reconsider my M52 swap...

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                              Mmm, old time M42 hate, I love it. People have been going soft on my favorite E30 engine of late, and were starting to make me feel way too mainstream.
                              ..lol, you must of had a heavy foot!

over all, love all the answers!

Comment

must have had
                                Originally posted by kronus
                                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                                X