E38 Style 5 16x8 ET23 Fill and Drill - VR Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Anthony, when I bring the iX out to the Midwest with me I will test fit.

Your problem isn't the width, though, it's the non-ideal offset created by the required spacers! If you could magically mount them without spacers (used to clear front calipers) I think the 8" et23 would suit the iX nicely.
    Oh man had no idea the back of the faces would hit the caliper. the et23 would be great for the ix.....spacers would be the deal breaker though :(
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
      Oh man had no idea the back of the faces would hit the caliper. the et23 would be great for the ix.....spacers would be the deal breaker though :(
      I've been re-looking into this as of late. It looks like a 5mm spacer will work fine in the front but it's hard to tell. That'd be an easy way to shave off 5mm, putting you at et18, which you may be able to pull off.

Problem is, there aren't any hubcentric 5mm spacers because they're too thin, which is why I went with the 10mm to begin with.

Also, upon further research, there are quite a few forum members running an et23 with a 5mm spacer (et18) and meaty 225/45s up front. Hmm. I may just buy the 225/45s and fight to make them fit.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Got the 215/45r16 Falken Azenis 615K+ tires mounted today.

Running 10mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear.

Comment

Got the 215/45r16 Falken Azenis 615K+ tires mounted today.

Running 10mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear.

You think you could have run 225's? Also I read somewhere you mentioned the spacers were hub centric? Did you buy a spacer for a 4*100 with a lip and then run a reducer inside the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful View Post

You think you could have run 225's? Also I read somewhere you mentioned the spacers were hub centric? Did you buy a spacer for a 4*100 with a lip and then run a reducer inside the wheels?
            Definitely couldn’t fit a 225 up front. Rears no as well, unless you ran a smaller spacer (I had 15mm in rear). Fronts the smallest spacer you can run is an 8mm to clear the front brakes, but they didn’t make an 8mm hubcentric so I ran a 10mm.

57.1mm hub bore spacers, with hub adapter rings. I had the least shake with the plastic adapter rings from Motorsport hardware.

Comment

Definitely couldn’t fit a 225 up front. Rears no as well, unless you ran a smaller spacer (I had 15mm in rear). Fronts the smallest spacer you can run is an 8mm to clear the front brakes, but they didn’t make an 8mm hubcentric so I ran a 10mm.

57.1mm hub bore spacers, with hub adapter rings. I had the least shake with the plastic adapter rings from Motorsport hardware.
              So, 57.1mm hub bore spacers, which are just standard spacers with a centering ring and then you added a reducer(centering ring in the wheel?)

nd the lowest you found were at 10mm thickness? Understood. I thought 5mm is the required clearance for the front? And technically none is required for the rear?

I've currently got a set sent somewhere to get filled and drilled, I'm just unsure of how to safely mount these with a 225/45r16.

My thoughts so far are, hub reducers and 5mm spacer up front? But then the 5mm spacer doesn't have a centering lip, but then will the OE hub bore stick out far enough anyway?

For the rear I'm thinking like what you did, but details on how you did it would be appreciated as I have every intent of tracking this car lol.

Comment

So, 57.1mm hub bore spacers, which are just standard spacers with a centering ring and then you added a reducer(centering ring in the wheel?)

nd the lowest you found were at 10mm thickness? Understood. I thought 5mm is the required clearance for the front? And technically none is required for the rear?

I've currently got a set sent somewhere to get filled and drilled, I'm just unsure of how to safely mount these with a 225/45r16.

My thoughts so far are, hub reducers and 5mm spacer up front? But then the 5mm spacer doesn't have a centering lip, but then will the OE hub bore stick out far enough anyway?

For the rear I'm thinking like what you did, but details on how you did it would be appreciated as I have every intent of tracking this car lol.
                I don’t think 5mm will clear the brakes. It took 8mm in my experience. IMO better hub centering is more valuable than running a 225 over a 215.

I would not personally track filled and drilled wheels. The area between the 4x100 pattern and the circular hub surface is super thin because the e38 wheels have a bigger center bore.

If you want to track it, it’s far easier to just get the maxilite 16x8s and run a 225 without any modification.

Comment

I thought you could get away with the E38 Style 5 16x8, redrilled, and no spacer. Are these on an ix?

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post

I thought you could get away with the E38 Style 5 16x8, redrilled, and no spacer. Are these on an ix?
                    Not an iX…

You can only get away without using a spacer if you run a BBK with thinner caliper. Staszek ran these wheels without a spacer, with the IE front BBK.

These wheels would not fit properly on an iX

Comment

I don’t think 5mm will clear the brakes. It took 8mm in my experience. IMO better hub centering is more valuable than running a 225 over a 215.

I would not personally track filled and drilled wheels. The area between the 4x100 pattern and the circular hub surface is super thin because the e38 wheels have a bigger center bore.

If you want to track it, it’s far easier to just get the maxilite 16x8s and run a 225 without any modification.
                      Thanks for all the information in this very helpful post. I see traklites are sold in a hubcentric spacer, I've just ordered 10mm upfront and 15mm outback, I'm hoping I get the same fit you did.

Comment

Thanks for all the information in this very helpful post. I see traklites are sold in a hubcentric spacer, I've just ordered 10mm upfront and 15mm outback, I'm hoping I get the same fit you did.
                        Happy it helped someone! I used the traklites, so your setup will be the same as mine.

I also transferred this setup to my hoopty e30. Same exact spacers/tires as before. Front coils just adjusted higher.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

And on my old car:

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

i am running the same setup on my vert..Click image for larger version

Name:	20230825_171833 (1).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	10104523
                          1993 325iC
                          1998 M3
                          1987 535iS

Comment

Working...
                          X