No announcement yet.

California Dreaming - beginning to plan my move westward, need r3v's input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh. I have been to tx, I have worked in tx for months at a time, I know more people from tx than I care to admit to. What I say about tx stands
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

ok. I like longbeach and agree with what someone posted earlier for it, san diego was cool but I know nothing about the markets pertaining to what you are looking for. I just know I liked going there when I was growing up and when I go to san diego for any tdy trips, I really like the old town area. maybe that area is good too?

Comment

Originally posted by supermansocks95 View Post
        I hate Texas. I've never lived there, but the landscape and climate absolutely suck. Especially western. The only place in Texas I really like is South Padre, and that's just for vacation purposes. This is coming from a dude living in central Kansas...

that's funny. south padre is the worst place in the valley, to me. I worked down in the valley for a number of years and hated the island. I was just there last weekend for a bicycle race and my thoughts of the island are unchanged

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
          that's funny. south padre is the worst place in the valley, to me. I worked down in the valley for a number of years and hated the island. I was just there last weekend for a bicycle race and my thoughts of the island are unchanged
          I'm sure there are plenty of MUCH nicer places. South Padre seemed pretty meh, BUT it's good for a party vacation with plenty of things to do. (Went there with friends this summer) I just don't care for Texas in general. Okay for vacationing, but I wouldn't live there. Plus, you have to have inspections there. Been running catless straight pipe no problem here

Of course, I like living in the small town Kansas setting, how I was raised. My town has everything I need. And I don't have the money or much time to do fun things anyways, so it doesn't really matter. And if I wanted to do something fun, Wichita is an hour away. Everyone has their own taste, though....
          88 325i Cabrio
          04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

My wife was raised in White City, Kansas till she was 18 years old. I went there one time to check it out 2 years ago. No F**KING way ! 500 people only. Her sister lives in Herington and my wifes daughter lives in Newton. Way slower pace back there for sure.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Not quoting anyone because I'm just too damn lazy right now, and rushing during a commercial break of the KU hoops game...ROCK CHALK.

Anyway, Texas, specifically Austin has been discussed, but I just don't know if it's for me. I think I'd like Austin, probably quite a bit. But I just don't think I can get on board with living in Texas. I've spent a good amount of time in Dallas/Dallas burbs and it was meh....and I have just met way too many Texans that I just cannot stand. I know I'm making a generalization, that's just how I feel. So yeah, opinions, stereotypes, feelings.

That said, I do appreciate the input.

Yes, Kansas is very Kansas. But I'll always love LFK and KC.

Cali is what we've set out hearts on (foolishly? maybe), so thank you all for the reccomendations and your thoughts on housing, social life, job opportunity, etc.

We have been googling all of your suggestions and spending excessive amounts of time on Zillow, CL, etc. looking at apartments and houses.

Please keep your suggestions coming! Once we get out there, beers and BBQ at our place (we'll need friends, so don't suck). :)

Cheers!
              Joe

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
              Sounds like you need a massage.
              Originally posted by kpeng
              Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

We're going to be best budz
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post

Please keep your suggestions coming! Once we get out there, beers and BBQ at our place (we'll need friends, so don't suck). :)

Cheers!
                  Joe

How do we know you don't suck?!..

Actually we know that you don't suck... dammit
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    It's definitely pretty, tons of sunshine, nice weather, good people, and plenty to do. That being said, the roads are beat to hell, traffic is really bad, rent and other costs are unreasonable, and the pay does not keep up with the increased cost of living.
                    This guys speaks the truth, traffic has gotten so bad in the past 5 years it's crazy, and I can't figure out why. I'm assuming it's from so many people moving into the area for jobs and such plus since it's always on person in a car rather then 2 or 3 carpooling, it just gets nuts. Imagine a place where you can find traffic, no questions asked from around 6am-8pm at night. Did I mention this is Monday-Sunday? Where the hell people are traveling on a Sunday beats me. I on the other hand wouldn't mind moving out of the area, but since I haven't traveled much wouldn't know where to go.

Edit: Bay Area

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

IMO if you can move to a less populated but still urban area of a state on the wqest coast, i love bellingham. perfect mix of close to the wild and still urban for things to do like bars and such.
                      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                      willschnitz

Comment

Every month 17K move to CA, and every month 10K move out of CA

If I was coming to the Great State of California, I would target the Oceanside area within a bike ride of the coaster station. Easy access to jobs from the Mexican border to L.A, walk to pumping surf in warm water during the Summer. Great beach scene / beer culture and the canyons towards Mt. Laguna just inland are great for cruising the E30.
                        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                          My wife was raised in White City, Kansas till she was 18 years old. I went there one time to check it out 2 years ago. No F**KING way ! 500 people only. Her sister lives in Herington and my wifes daughter lives in Newton. Way slower pace back there for sure.
                          Oh yeah it is. Yeah, I think we've talked about this before! Because I live 30 mins north of Newton and about an hour southwest of Herington. In fact, Newton is where I got my Neon from.
                          88 325i Cabrio
                          04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Lots of cool work opps in the bay area for both of ya'll. Pinterest (SF downtown) or Pixar (Emeryville) for your girl and anything in the FiDi will work for ya.

Live in Oakland (cheaper rent) and bart in either direction to work and it's a wrap g.
                            Last edited by RUFFLZ; 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

i'm glad i don't have to take bart from oakland to sf anymore, it's fucking miserable, but agree on the job front.
                              past:
                              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:
                              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
                                Lots of cool work opps in the bay area for both of ya'll. Pinterest (SF downtown) or Pixar (Emeryville) for your girl and anything in the FiDi will work for ya.

Live in Oakland (cheaper rent) and bart in either direction to work and it's a wrap g.
                                I appreciate the tip! My fiance actually just found a position at Pinterest that she is interested in and qualified for. Maybe SF will be where we end up?

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                                Sounds like you need a massage.
                                Originally posted by kpeng
                                Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Working...
                                X