No announcement yet.

Key broke off inside the ignition cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can get the key half out do that and order a new key from the dealer. You only have 1 key? I have atleast of them around the house.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      I get VIN keys cut at the dealer for about $15.

They require proof of ownership, ID, etc.

Hustle your ass down there.

Luke
      i went to the dealership today and they were going to charge me $70 to order a new key, how did u get one for $15?
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

locksmith
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

You guys do know this was a problem thread from like 3 months ago right? lol

Silly Luke
          sigpic

Comment

3 months old but it just happened to me this week. lol Got a locksmith out here. Had the key pulled out of the ignition and a new cut key in my hand in under an hour for $50.

Comment

Happened to me tonight... in my driver door. I was luckily able to get it out, but it's my only key. I bought the car three days ago so it's not even registered yet in my name.

Will I have to do the DMV shenanigens before getting a key from BMW?

-ALaS

Comment

No, just take the broken key to a locksmith and have them make you a new one. Only the dealership requires proof of ownership to cut you a new key based on the VIN. A locksmith just needs the broken key, they don't care about proof of ownership.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I would get one cut from a locksmith for right now, then get a new BMW key from the dealer once you have proof of ownership.

Comment

Buy a lockpick set and fish it out. Or if you're really cheap then buy a hand saw blade and grind it down a bit and insert it backwards to where the points are facing your hands and use that to fish out the remaining part of the key.
                    www.MarkertMotorworks.com

Dyno Thread.
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=327183

Comment

lol one of my first threads on my first e30. I'm back in the game and my current e30 has a ruined rear key hole. I have a new one that was going to repin, but i just bought a keyless entry instead.

Comment

So run-of-the-mill locksmiths have key blanks that fit old BMW's? That's good news.
                        1992 325i Cabrio
                        1988 320i Touring
                        2000 M5
                        1977 530i
                        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                        BMWCCA
                        E30CCA

Comment

Thread from the dead

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here since I just got my '87 325is delivered last night. I bought the car in Houston and had it delivered to SLC, UT. When I test drove it, it had the key broken off in the ignition and started easily with a butter knife. I just figured I'd pop the lock cylinder out and get a new key cut and reinstall it. When it showed up, the PO had tried to do that but broke some wire off in the channel used to release the lock cylinder then proceeded to go full Hulk smash on it. I have a locksmith coming to look at it on Monday but am not optimistic. Do I have any options besides drilling it out? If not, any recommendations on where/what to drill on the lock cylinder?

Also, I'm not sure what the thread revival etiquette is around here. If it is preferred that I start a new thread, just let me know and I'll bump it.

Thanks!

Comment

Swap out the whole ignition column, you’ll finish that a lot faster than sitting there drilling out that small whole which will no guarantee take it off.

You’ll see a smooth head with a shiny center, put a slit in it and take the screwdriver and take it off. Take off steering wheel and etc,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by E30335i View Post
                              Swap out the whole ignition column, you’ll finish that a lot faster than sitting there drilling out that small whole which will no guarantee take it off.

You’ll see a smooth head with a shiny center, put a slit in it and take the screwdriver and take it off. Take off steering wheel and etc,.
                              I may end up going that route but I'm hoping to not have to especially since I haven't found any local junkyards with parts cars.
                              BTW this is what I'm working with:

Comment

Your close, but still lots of work to go, or well drilling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X