Replacing trans + diff seals and fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing trans + diff seals and fluids

Rookie question: I'm manual swapping my E30 tomorrow and, in the process, want to replace seals + fluids on the trans + diff.

Which of these jobs should I do with the trans + diff outside the vehicle vs. after it's already mounted?
    current:
    89 325i

previous:
    87 325i
    86 325 stroker frankenstein

Filling with fluid should be one of your last steps to completion.... replace the seals gaskets with the trans/diff outside the vehicle... install, then fill to proper level once installed in vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I changed the diff seals while in the car.

No biggie at all.

The spare tire well and using 12mm riser bushings made it trickier.

The stud conversion it would make everything much easier. https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-dif...kit-e30-e28-z3
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Everything is easier out of the car, especially seals.

Oil is much of a much ness if you have a little hand pump to pump the oil in (you cant pour it in as the car is in the way)

However when it comes to transmission and diff seals in my opinion if there is no evidence of leaking, don't touch.

Comment

I fill boxes before I put them in- why not? Put in the right amount, then check it when it's installed.

Likewise, if it ain't leaking, I tend to leave seals alone, too.

Too often, I've replaced a non- leaking seal with a leaking one.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If you’re going to fill the trans and diff after they’re on the car get about 6 feet of half-inch clear acrylic hose. Stick one end in the fill hole, then stand next to the car and use a funnel to pour the fluid into the hose. It helps to have somebody with you so you can install the fill plugs before having a bunch of oil overflow.
            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
            X