87' 325is Air Dam on Late Model Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87' 325is Air Dam on Late Model Cars

Well I like the look of our late model valances bu they seem too bland sometimes. I love the look of the 87' 325is air dam and I have been told it is not possible to fit it to a late model e30. Well thats just not true :D .

Materials:
    • 87' 325is air dam
    • Sand paper / paint stripper
    • Drill
    • Something to cut the air dam (cut off saw, etc.)
    • Bondo (fiberglass repair and untimate)
    • Mounting bolts
    1. First off you need to remove the bumper (two T-55 bolts)

2.Then you remove the lower part of the metal valance on your car. This needs to be done to give you room and you need to leave the top half so that you can still mount the plastic bumpers. To remove the bottom half, drill out the stamps that hold the two pieces together and the bottom half will fall off.

3.Now you need to mount the air dam to the plastic bumper. To do this lay the bumper down upsidedown and then set the air dam on top of it. Start w/ the two outermost points and work to the center.

4.Next you need to take off the air dam and cut off the sides. This is so that you can shorten them to not go into your wheel well. After you have cut the sides remount the air dam to the bumper and put it on the car.

5. Now take the piece you cut off and set it up to the air dam while its on the car and move it till it looks right. When you have the piece where you want it score the plastic w/ something sharp (or a pen) and cut them.

6.Now that its time to connect the pieces back together. You need to make a bracket that goes all the way down the piece.

7.You are now ready to put everything back on and bondo the crack from the two pieces being mated back together. First use the fiberglass repair bondo in the crack and then after you sand that down good use the ultimate to give a better smoothness to the bumper. Also this is the time to bondo and holes you have in your bumper from prev. mounting or anything.

8. Paint time (this is still primer white thought)

Last edited by asubimmer; 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM.
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Looks good from 20 feet! ;)

seriously looks cool.

Comment

haha yeah when I paint it, it will looks tons better. I'm just glad I could find white primer. Its not done yet but I had to get it on before the Korman meet ;)
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

That looks so fruuckin awesome. I love it. I wish my 87 valance wasn't so wrecked, otherwise i would throw it back on.

'05 Jetta TDI
        '87 325iS: Facelift, Hella Smoked Ellipsoids (RIP)
        '80 320i: 500lbs lighter, Rally/Drifter (SOLD!:( )
        '90 Jetta: Stock Daily Driver (SOLD)

Comment

honestly I think that valance looks better on diving board cars. I don't like it at all, but it looks like you put a decent effort into it.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            honestly I think that valance looks better on diving board cars. I don't like it at all, but it looks like you put a decent effort into it.
            Agree. I knew it could be done, and I was going to do it. I am glad that I didnt, because I like the look of my car better now. If I want a different look I'd get mtech2
            Old and improved:

Comment

thanks for the write up. I've been thinking about this forever but have no plastic bumpers or anything to fiddle with to see how it could work.

Still, I think I would mount the early valence back farther so it isn't so even with the front of the bumper. Another thing I thought about doing was intead of cutting and having to refit/mold the sides back on like you did, perhaps just trimming off the excess length on the sides could work.

Comment

A for effort. looks pretty cool, but at the same time kinda out of place. good work though.
                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

thanks for all the comments guys, it'll look better w/ the brake ducts in ;)

Comment

i like it alot
                    Toyota Pickup

Comment

Why the fuck didn't I think of that!

(the way you filled the gap)

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by golde30
                        A for effort. looks pretty cool, but at the same time kinda out of place. good work though.
                        Exactly what I thought when I first saw it too....

Comment

i like it.

wonder how different it would be for a early models,
                          i assume we just need the the late metal valance for
                          us pre-87 so we can mount the plastic bumper. correct?
                          -Frank
                          1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
                          1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
                          2001 525i

Comment

Originally posted by E30_pilot
                            i like it.

wonder how different it would be for a early models,
                            i assume we just need the the late metal valance for
                            us pre-87 so we can mount the plastic bumper. correct?
                            yep, it would look like mine. you need to top half of the valance and thats it, so you could get a pretty beat one for cheap ;)

Comment

Right the fuck on, nice write-up. You might want to include the info/pics on how you mounted the airdam to the bumper itself. I assume it was just with bolts, but pics would be cool. Glad someone finally grew the fucking stones to do this. I'm planning to do it eventually, if I don't end up loving the look of my boards too much when they're done.

Comment

Working...
                              X