Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel wobble - is this a bad wheel bearing

Hello,

I'm trying to diagnose a loud noise coming from the read end of my car. It fluctuates with road speed, not rpm or engine speed. It also goes away when I turn left.

When I got the car on stands I discovered the rear left wheel was wobbly. When I removed the tire and brake I can wobble the hub , and with the tire on this play is significant.

Long story short - I just got car back from mechanic who changed all my rear subframe bushings, and he also replaced the rubber cv boots.

I am not in a position to take it back to them, so I have to diagnose this on my own.

Here is a photo of the part that wobbles in and out, and here is a you tube link to a video.

I have minimal experience with wheels/axles so I'm not sure what my next steps are in diagnosing or replacing.

Any advice appreciated.

Phot attached and here is a link to a video of me wobbling the hub.
    https://youtu.be/NfcxhnBUxzk

Thanks,
    MC
    Attached Files

Make sure the axle nut is tight. Your mechanic most likely removed it during the service and then forgot to tighten it to spec. With it loose, your bearings aren't preloaded and will have some play.

When you turn left, the bearings are loaded up by centrifugal force, mimicking what happens when the axle nut is tight.
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

off to find a 36 mil socket. will try this now.

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
      Make sure the axle nut is tight. Your mechanic most likely removed it during the service and then forgot to tighten it to spec. With it loose, your bearings aren't preloaded and will have some play.

When you turn left, the bearings are loaded up by centrifugal force, mimicking what happens when the axle nut is tight.

Comment

Vatozone and O'Reilly both have them on hand as free rental. Pay up front for it refund when you bring it back.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post

If you look closely at the picture, you can see that the axle but is clearly not tight. So yeah, tighten it up and hope that the bearing wasn’t damaged.

Or just replace the bearing since you’re this far in.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Nut was not close to tight. It is now the recommended 150 ft lbs.

Fixed my issue. Thank you.

I’m beyond livid that a “bmw specialty” shop gave me back a car with a loose wheel and told me my diff was shot, but that’s another story.

I hear all these mechanic horror stories and always think , there’s no way mechanics are that sloppy/negligent and these r3v people are so micro picky .... then sure enough some someone forgets to tighten my wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

BMW speciality = they can charge you more for the same shit service as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                BMW speciality = they can charge you more for the same shit service as everyone else.

So true ... I sent them a video of my wheel wobbling and got no response.

“Well he’s not dead and he tightened his wheel so the car is fine , what’s this idiot customer bitching about “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X