TRM - The Racers Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broach328 View Post
    OBD1 M52 with s52 cams and m50 manifold. Ive been running TRM chip since 09 and have put 30k miles on the swap and couldn't be happier.

bloodshot, not sure how the tune could cause oil consumption.. Put the stock chip back in and see if theres a difference maybe?
    When you first installed the chip was there a certain amount of time that the tune needed to adapt to your setup?

MY BUILD THREAD
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=235231

INSTAGRAM : @luchcolaneri

Comment

Well being that it is an obd1 m52, the original ecu was for an m50 so I never ran it with the stock chip. As far as allowing the ecu to learn, it should not be a long period of time. The idle bounced around and smoothed out and we were good to go. If I were you, I would run a compression test for a starting point and also look at your oil separation setup. If your running obd2 separator, none at all, etc. You could just have an oil sep issue thats letting a lot of oil build up in the intake manifold and it coincidentally began to find its way to the combustion chamber around the same time that you installed the chip. And by smoking, you mean just blue smoke at certain times, or is it pretty steady?And I do get some black smoke doing 3rd and 4th gear pulls but South Carolina laws dont require cats :p

Side-note: I have been following your build thread for some time now and it's incredible. It currently rivals the sleeper 02 build. If this oil consumption issue continues to evade you, I would be willing to trade with you straight up :) Keep up the work on that thing and kudos again.

Comment

Thank you broach.. I contacted Gary from TRM and we send emails back and forth. There was no errors in the tune and my oil burning dilemma was just a false alarm. I let the car run outside for a good 10-15 mins and everything settled in nicely.

Back to TRM feedback. Great company, excellent customer support, quick shipping and the tunes they offer is fantastic. I recommend TRM to anyone looking for a proper running motor.

MY BUILD THREAD
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=235231

INSTAGRAM : @luchcolaneri

Comment

Also the best part about them is if you change your engine setup, you can send them your chip and they will add that modification to the tune for a small fee. I want to say it cost me 50 dollars to update tunes when I added s52 cams. This type of convenient tuning is probably the main reason why I don't plan to run obd2

Comment

Originally posted by mtlbloodshot View Post
            Anyone have problems with the engine burning oil once the chip was installed?

I started the car last night after a long rebuild but before putting the TRM tune, i was running a stock 413 chip and had no issues of burning oil. Once I installed the tune, there was a heavy amount of smoke.

Is there a time period that must be expected to allow the chip to settle all the mods on the engine?
            Sounds to me like it's running super rich.
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
            X