Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Art car with respect to original finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art car with respect to original finish.

Im wond'ring aloud about the car prep and artistic medium
    with utmost importance being an unharmed original finish.

The only demand is that the artist wants to work with brush and paint.

Discussion and swift kicks in the right direction appreciated.

Art car sounds interesting. Not something that I would do to mine but to each there own. Anyway, when you say
    Originally posted by TOAST View Post
    with utmost importance being an unharmed original finish.
    do you mean that you are painting on top of your original finish? Is this a temporary or permanent thing? It also depends on what type of paint the artist uses as well as the brand. Since a cars paint is oil its probably better to use that, but you still might have a problem with the paint adhering to cars paint. It needs to have some form of ground (primer) for it to adhere properly.

If your just concerned about the overall finish, your artist just needs to paint thinish and then you finish it off with a few good layers of clear like any other car. I dunno if you can save your original paint if that was your intention.

Just don't half ass it.
    BMWCCA # 482566

Originally posted by nando
    also, I can't think of any BMW special tools you need to do a headgasket on an M20. you could nearly do it with the trunk tool kit, some bubble gum, and string.
    Check out my Leather Shift Boots for Sale Here

Check out my other work with my GF Here Great gifts for your Wife or GF

Comment

I would say no way jose to a brush. If anybody ever was allowed to grace they're art upon the canvas that is my vehicle it would be prepped for paint, airbrushed, then cleared.

Comment

Is this a temporary or permanent thing?
        Temporary. which is why I want to respect the current finish.

I dont mind supplying the 'canvas' and the materials,,

just want to make sure I can go back to the original with ease.

Weatherability is of little concern.

Comment

maybe vinyl

Comment

As above, have the full car wrapped, then allow the artist access to the canvas. Drive it for a few months, then remove the vinyl.

Comment

Vinyl wrap is what I was thinking / what got me thinking but i didnt want to lead too much in one direction.

Any details on paint over vinyl and how removable it is after being caked with paint, etc.

Thanks for stopping in people. all ideas are welcome

Comment

That's the best way to go, but not cheap if done right.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by TOAST View Post
                  Any details on paint over vinyl and how removable it is after being caked with paint, etc.
                  i don't see why it would be more difficult to remove, really. i mean maybe a little tougher and you might have flakes of paint falling on the ground, but it shouldn't be a problem. i'd be more concerned with the durability of the paint actually going and staying on the vinyl in the first place.
                  http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Also depends on the type of paint, I wouldn't use an oil based paint, it may seep thru the vinyl and bleed into the paint.

Comment

Can somebody post an example pic of what vinyl wrap looks like?
                      '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                      current:
                      '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                      '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post
                        Can somebody post an example pic of what vinyl wrap looks like?
                        Google vinyl wrapped cars.
                        M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X