S54 w/ E34 Oil Pan Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 w/ E34 Oil Pan Race Car

Hey guys, I'm looking for some real-world experience with this set up for a track car. I've read that the e34 pan has been used a lot or this swap, but not much feedback on track cars. Seeing as Arc Asylum is not much of an option anymore, and i'm in Canada so shipping parts out for modification would be costly, I'd like to stick with my e34 pan setup. I just want make sure i won't be running into oil starvation issues.

I've been running an s52 w/ e34 pan for many years without issues in the car, but obviously the s54 motor is quite different with the dual pickup..

IMG_3294 by Chris Bernier, on Flickr

According to Andrew325is' build you can use a euro S50b30 pump and e34 M50 pick up. I have both if you are interested.

^His swap thread
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Yea basically he is using the e34 oil pan, m50 pump and s54 sprocket which is what I'd be using as well (already have that from my s52 setup). Just looking for some advise if this is adequate for track use since it eliminates the second pick-up on the s54 block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        According to Andrew325is' build you can use a euro S50b30 pump and e34 M50 pick up. I have both if you are interested.

^His swap thread

Use your s54 oil pump sprocket on a m50 pump and you basically have a euro S50B30 pump.

I'm in Calgary, and was in the same position. Everyone kept telling me that the m50 pan is fine. All the swaps in Europe and elsewhere in the world stick with the m50 pan... Just baffle it.

Comment

I run a baffled M50 pump/pan setup for a time trial car. I ran the car for a few years and pulled the rod bearings at 60K miles of track / street driving as preventative maintenance. The bearings looked fine with no signs of starvation-related wear.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I don't even think my pan that I had on the s52 was baffled but still never had issues. The car's going to be pretty aggressive this year with a decent amount of downforce and 275 slicks so I don't want to blow the s54 in the first corner lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Contact Widebody325i

I would hate for you to use a single pickup design from the E34. If you are going to have high downforce, I would say dry sump with those Gs.

He is changing his design to be closer to Arcs but still easy to weld:
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                Contact Widebody325i

I would hate for you to use a single pickup design from the E34. If you are going to have high downforce, I would say dry sump with those Gs.

He is changing his design to be closer to Arcs but still easy to weld:
                ^^I'm assuming that also requires subframe modification? I'll reach out to him.

Dry sumps are $$$$. I had also thought about e34 pan w/ accusump for backup. There doesn't seem to be a cheap solution either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris916 View Post
                  ^^I'm assuming that also requires subframe modification? I'll reach out to him.

Dry sumps are $$$$. I had also thought about e34 pan w/ accusump for backup. There doesn't seem to be a cheap solution either way.
                  Just finished up subframe, oil pan and finalizing sway bar mounts tomorrow. Email me or call me and we can talk about your needs. I’m just about ready to roll out production. Ben.sipson@gmail.com 860-324-7935 or @baysidefabrication
                  Follow me @baysidefabrication on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Widebody325 View Post
                    Just finished up subframe, oil pan and finalizing sway bar mounts tomorrow. Email me or call me and we can talk about your needs. I’m just about ready to roll out production. Ben.sipson@gmail.com 860-324-7935 or @baysidefabrication
                    Message sent for more info

Comment

Working...
                    X