2.93 gearing with ls swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.93 gearing with ls swap

Am I gonna be happy with the 2.93 gearing with a ls swap or should I be looking for something different? I'm using a 5.3 with a t5 transmission.

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post

The factory 2.93 open diff wasn't going to cut it. I wanted something that would make better use of the engines power and the transmissions gear ratios. I created an excel sheet that gives the approximate RPM for a given speed in any given gear on the trans.

I assumed that max hp and TQ would be between 4500 and 5000 rpm and set the "rev" limiter to 6400. I settled on a LSD 3.73.

G]
    Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
    '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
    Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
    1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
    Check us out
    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

It depends on what transmission you're using. You said T5, but there are a lot of ratio options. Any production T5 is going to be marginal behind a 5.3, especially if you mod the engine and have good traction.

3.73 is way aggressive for that much torque in that light a car with tires as short as an E30 has to run.
      LS1 Camarobirds and C5/6/7 Corvettes have a 2.66 first, but 3.42 rear with much taller tires than an E30.

I like tall gears, so I'd set it up for 2000 RPM at 80 MPH if feasible.

Comment

It depends on what transmission you're using. You said T5, but there are a lot of ratio options. Any production T5 is going to be marginal behind a 5.3, especially if you mod the engine and have good traction.

3.73 is way aggressive for that much torque in that light a car with tires as short as an E30 has to run.
        LS1 Camarobirds and C5/6/7 Corvettes have a 2.66 first, but 3.42 rear with much taller tires than an E30.

I like tall gears, so I'd set it up for 2000 RPM at 80 MPH if feasible.

Comment

Go with the 2.93 if you have a 6-speed T56. This is because the 1st gear is low enough
          to compensate for the 2.93. More importantly, the pinion gear teeth are bigger and stronger than those of higher-ratio differential gearing like a 4.11.

Our 2.93 - T56 cruises at 1200 rpm at 60mph, but will still spin the tires on dry pavement at 60 mph in 3rd gear.
          E30-LS1 aka. 357is
          email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
          E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
          E30LS1@gmail.com
          e30ls1.com

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

I should have looked at this about an hour ago. Just made that table from scratch (minus the color coding...)

Thinking very hard about doing an L33 swap in my 91 is
              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                Go with the 2.93 if you have a 6-speed T56. This is because the 1st gear is low enough
                to compensate for the 2.93.
                Not sure what you mean by this as almost all LS T56's have 2.66 first gears. The resulting 7.8:1 overall first gear is extremely tall... like 65-mph-at-7000-rpm tall.

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                Our 2.93 - T56 cruises at 1200 rpm at 60mph, but will still spin the tires on dry pavement at 60 mph in 3rd gear.
                Sounds like you need better tires. :p

Comment

Working...
                X