No announcement yet.

Herp de derp M60 in progress - track day complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certain 740i models have an oil filter housing bracket that in bolts from the inner fender. I found one in the jy. Hopefully I can just modify the end that bolts to the body to make it work.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      Certain 740i models have an oil filter housing bracket that in bolts from the inner fender. I found one in the jy. Hopefully I can just modify the end that bolts to the body to make it work.
      I used a X5 oil filter on my swap, and mounted it where the AC Accumulator was.
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        What are you doing for bottom mounts on the radiator?
        i used the stock little rubber feet and cups from the m20 radiator. z3 rad drops right in.
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
        1988 340iL - Track car
        My M60 V8 swap thread here
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
          I used a X5 oil filter on my swap, and mounted it where the AC Accumulator was.
          wow, what a coincidence, i did this just today!

Ill be putting some rubber isolators between the sheet metal and the mounting flange on the housing. only took a little hammering to open up the hole a bit.
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

No updates really. Been swamped with work, getting the 240 ready for our private track day, and the new daily. I guess i got a little impatient waiting for a V8 car...
            We're in deep now boys
            1988 340iL - Track car
            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Haha Congrats! New DD?

Question for you, is there any reason why your welder got the oil line bungs welded on the removable line fitting vs directly to the housing? What size are those?

I have an extra housing and block plate, and looking to do the same as I don't think the 740i lines are going to be long enough to mount the housing behind the headlight ...and I haven't found x5 lines yet.,
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                Haha Congrats! New DD?

Question for you, is there any reason why your welder got the oil line bungs welded on the removable line fitting vs directly to the housing? What size are those?

I have an extra housing and block plate, and looking to do the same as I don't think the 740i lines are going to be long enough to mount the housing behind the headlight ...and I haven't found x5 lines yet.,
                The bungs are -10. after looking inside the housing, one of the ports has some springs and stuff in it (probably a thermostat). Since the OE fittings are pretty big, i figured that i want that big heavy fitting sitting there to contact the spring in the same way. And the hole in the housing is way too big for a -10 bung.

My welder couldn't do the stock M60 "arm" oil block, since one fitting is so close to the base plate. The X5 housing has the ports oriented differently, so you can get a weld around that. Ill be getting it back soon, whenver I have time after work, and I will post some pics. I bought the X5 block brand new, about $35
                We're in deep now boys
                1988 340iL - Track car
                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Been super lazy. Work, life, other cars, drift days have taken all my time and energy.
                  The one thing that has been holding up a bunch of other tasks is mounting the brake/clutch reservoirs. Tha bracket seemed really hard, but it wasn't! Thanks to Jean on here for showing me some examples.

After doing some thinking, ended up with this:

It bolts on to the little bracket that comes with the Garagistic kit (zipties instead of bolts dont f***in judge me):

How they sit, just wonky cuz theyre not really bolted to the cardboard:

You can see they sit a little high, the top of the cap is level with the top of the weather stripping behind it. Shortened it up a bit, fit better and then cut it out of metal:

Drill some holes, clean it up, you end up with this:

Sits like this:

Its very close to the wiring cover (not touching), but once its bolted down itll be fine

Another view of a single, showing the height

Not sure how well this translates, but you can see the wire going from inside the firewall to the fusebox goes thru the notch in the bracket. It doesnt touch, but I'll be protecting that harness from the sharp edge somehow.

And finally got some brackets for the fan, need to trim and mount, should be pretty straight forward. Im hoping the fan is thin enough to mount my oil cooler right in front of it.
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Nice progress man! Are you thinking about making a fan shroud ?

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Much later yes. and a gasket. need to find an appropriate (but cheap) material.
                      i forgot to post this, but heres some rough measurements of my bracket, in case anyone wants to copy. double check your measurements and your car, YMMW.
                      We're in deep now boys
                      1988 340iL - Track car
                      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Those SPAL brackets are pretty easy to work with right? Mine also stuck up like that, I just chopped off the top to clear the hood. I'll clean them up when I get the car to my new house.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          Those SPAL brackets are pretty easy to work with right? Mine also stuck up like that, I just chopped off the top to clear the hood. I'll clean them up when I get the car to my new house.
                          They are , I don't know if I saved them when I removed my spal fan from e28 radiator I used with my old swap but Was thinking if a fan shroud is worth making to improve cooking effect.

Comment

i agree that a fan shroud would be a fantastic idea. it will certainly increase the effectiveness of your radiator.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              i agree that a fan shroud would be a fantastic idea. it will certainly increase the effectiveness of your radiator.
                              Its in the plan eventually. i have to get the fan mounted, then figure out where my oil cooler mounts, and then i can whip up a shroud.
                              Just got back from the hardware store with $20 of nuts and bolts. hopefully i can get some stuff mounted today.
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Update: i am a dumbass and bought the wrong nuts
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X