Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating help

So back to this common subject.

I am having overheating issues with the M30. Ever since I switched fans for a more powerful one, I am having a hard time bleeding the cooling system. I've tried every way possible, but it seems like I can't bleed it.

I tried putting the car uphill, tried bleeding through the return hose (rotated 90 degrees upward), tried bleeding it through the bleed screw, and nothing.

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas? Just trying to look at where I should start once I sober up tomorrow morning.

Appreciate it

- Erick
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Hows your thermostat? Is it possible that it could be stuck closed?

I still honestly don't know how people have so much trouble bleeding their cooling systems, I've never had an issue... Crack open the bleed screew and sqeeze hoses as your pouring coolant in.
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

try the method of holding the coolant tank above your head as you fill the system, maybe with the bleed cracked? Water wetter?
      '89 335is +turbo

Comment

running the car with the coolant res. cap open for about 15 mins. go drive around then open the cap again and fill. the air will surface its self.

Comment

What I do is open the bleed screw on a cold engine.
          Pour in the coolant till it spouts. Tighten the screw.

Let it warm up with the cap off. Still not bleed let it go through some heat cycles
          and it'll keep burbling out air if you have any.

What reservoir did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
            running the car with the coolant res. cap open for about 15 mins. go drive around then open the cap again and fill. the air will surface its self.
            The car starts overheating in 5 minutes of just sitting there.

I am using the M20 late model reservoir.

I am going to check the thermostat as I've had that happen to me before on the m20.

Thanks for the thoughts. I am going to try that out and keep you guys posted.
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

See if this helps - http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=58368
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Thermostat was stuck. Running the car without it now and it was super easy to bleed the system. I need to put a switch on the fan. With in on all the time, the temperature never leaves the blue :p

Feedback Thread

Comment

cars have thermostats for a reason, do it right and replace it.

I assume this is redundant and obvious but it is hard to tell from your post.
                  '89 335is +turbo

Comment

All it does is help the motor warm up sooner by preventing the flow of coolant while its cold.

Granted I will put one in when it I get around to ordering some parts, but for the lack of a better option, I'll run without one for now. Especially since this is FL, and it's not like we're driving our cars in freezing weather. Motors warm up here pretty quick.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Just don't get on the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                        Hows your thermostat? Is it possible that it could be stuck closed?
                        Originally posted by Erick View Post
                        Thermostat was stuck. Running the car without it now and it was super easy to bleed the system. I need to put a switch on the fan. With in on all the time, the temperature never leaves the blue :p
                        Win.

Get a new thermostat and 'o' ring asap.
                        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
                        X