New to the E30 world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the E30 world

as the title says im new to the E30 world, i just picked up a 87 325ic with 153xxx miles from a friend. i live in Paramus, NJ. for those who may not know where that is, its in Bergen County. anyways im looking for a local who can help guide me through the different types maintenance that need to be done to my car as well as help with choosing mods and whatnot. im not new to the bimmer family, ive owned a e39 528i and a e36 325is. i just hopped outta GTI 337 so im looking to have fun again with RWD. :-D
    Originally posted by evandael
    a car is a car. call it a dildo, i'd still drive the hell out of it.

What do you know of your cars history? Has the timing belt been change as of late? ID say just lurk around these forums and get familiar with e30 terminology. Search is your friend. Buy a Bentley manual as well. Welcome aboard!

COTM

Comment

hmm im not entirely sure when the timing belt was done, im going to have to find out asap, also whats the normal idle rpm on these m20's?

Comment

Valve clearance issues will spoil your day if it breaks. Idle 850ish.

COTM

Comment

yea im familiar with timing belts coming from volkswagens, hmm im assuming i need my valves adjusted, i ide at like 1050 and sometimes even 1100. ive looked up the valve adjustment DIY on pelican parts and i find it to be a difficult task. i dont have the proper tools either

Comment

I would definitely get a Bentley's manual. Also replace the timing belt soon. You may check your idle control vlave, it could be causing idle problems or a vacuum leak.

Comment

Originally posted by hooken m View Post
              yea im familiar with timing belts coming from volkswagens, hmm im assuming i need my valves adjusted, i ide at like 1050 and sometimes even 1100. ive looked up the valve adjustment DIY on pelican parts and i find it to be a difficult task. i dont have the proper tools either
              There is a much easier way to move the camshaft into position: you can use 2 wires in the diagnostic port to bump the motor over using the starter. This make a valve adjustment very easy IMO.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                There is a much easier way to move the camshaft into position: you can use 2 wires in the diagnostic port to bump the motor over using the starter. This make a valve adjustment very easy IMO.
                Do you have a picture showing where the diagnostic port is? I need to do an adjustment too.

Comment

i checked the idle control valve 2 days ago, cleaned it out with maf cleaner and lubed with wd40 idle got slightly better. the valve adjustment still seems pretty hard for me to do alone, i'd definitely need guidance,

Comment

I can do full maintenance for you including timing belt, tensioner, water pump, valve adjustment etc.. as well as suspension, wheels, bodywork, etc..
                    check the links in my sig

Comment

I like full maintenance
                      Originally posted by e30lov
                      sweet a mk4 jetta, haven't seen one of them for about 14 seconds
                      Adventures of an E30

Comment

We all like full maintenance. But you have to actually DO it...LOL.

Congrats on your new e30. Treat it well and it will ....well, it will still continue to break your wallet, but you won't mind.
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Welcome. This site will prove invaluable as it has for me for 6 years.

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
                          Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

I just did a valve adjustment, it's pretty easy.

This guide is even simpler than the pelican one:
                            http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...n_a_M20_engine

I didn't want to mess around with the starter so I just got underneath the car and cranked it with a 22mm crescent wrench since I couldn't fit my ratchet between the crank bolt and the radiator. I had a helper watch the position of the cam lobes. Sure it takes longer than other methods but I wanted to take my time. Just get a good feeler gauge too.

Comment

where can i pick up a feel gauge from?

Comment

Working...
                              X