No announcement yet.

Sharing my experience with Accurate Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you confirm that that's what's burning your oil/smoking upon decel? Like a leakdown?
    I'm not defending the guy, because F him, but as I mentioned in another thread this seems to be a popular issue with m20's and I also have a rebuilt head that I'm not curious about.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
      Can you confirm that that's what's burning your oil/smoking upon decel? Like a leakdown?
      I'm not defending the guy, because F him, but as I mentioned in another thread this seems to be a popular issue with m20's and I also have a rebuilt head that I'm not curious about.
      I did find out I was using the wrong oil, 5W30 instead of 20W50. I just changed the oil yesterday but ran into yet another problem with the car so I couldn't drive it to see if the new oil solved the problem. Assuming it does fix the problem I will update this thread or just delete it entirely.

:stupidsign:
      2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

OP - I'll share my experience when I had my M42 done at Accurate Engines in Jan/Feb. It developed an oil issue which I think was my own doing at assembly. Mike was stand up ... he came over and helped diagnose the issue and would have done the repair for free. I paid extra for the repair obviously since it very well may have been my issue. My engine now runs great, no issues, leaks, etc ... since I had it repaired in early Feb.

I think you should keep the thread open and just change the header to "resolved" or move it to the feedback thread.
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

OP, I saw that you were running 5W30 and wanted to say something but figured someone else would.

I ran 5W30 in my 325e years ago; driving around the city was no problem, but really driving hard (IE: driving 70 on the freeway from Seattle to Mill Creek) I would start getting oil issues. My oil pressure light would flicker erratically. Talked to the techs at the shop about it and they looked at me like I was stupid. Been running 10W30 Castrol in all my M20s and never had any issues.

On to my experience with Accurate Engines (Kevin and I had machinework being done about the same time, so we would regularly bump into each other at the shop.)

I've dealt with them numerous times, machine work done on my own builds, as well as countless other dealings with them including work for customer's cars etc. My whole experience with them has been pretty good.

He let me lighten my flywheel on my own, he even showed me how to work the machine, he balanced the flywheel for me and let me hang out while we did the headwork. Personally, i'm bummed about them not having that shop anymore. I hope things work out for him, and I hope your engine issues are resolved. If they are, we should change the title or delete it entirely.
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
            OP, I saw that you were running 5W30 and wanted to say something but figured someone else would.

I ran 5W30 in my 325e years ago; driving around the city was no problem, but really driving hard (IE: driving 70 on the freeway from Seattle to Mill Creek) I would start getting oil issues. My oil pressure light would flicker erratically. Talked to the techs at the shop about it and they looked at me like I was stupid. Been running 10W30 Castrol in all my M20s and never had any issues.

On to my experience with Accurate Engines (Kevin and I had machinework being done about the same time, so we would regularly bump into each other at the shop.)

I've dealt with them numerous times, machine work done on my own builds, as well as countless other dealings with them including work for customer's cars etc. My whole experience with them has been pretty good.

He let me lighten my flywheel on my own, he even showed me how to work the machine, he balanced the flywheel for me and let me hang out while we did the headwork. Personally, i'm bummed about them not having that shop anymore. I hope things work out for him, and I hope your engine issues are resolved. If they are, we should change the title or delete it entirely.
            I was having similar symptoms with my oil light flickering... I have a feeling its just the weight oil I was using and now I feel dumb. I'll post up once I get a chance to drive the car and edit the thread. The stories I heard from another member may have clouded my judgement and lead me to jump to conclusions.

I will say that Mike was an interesting guy to talk to and was cool enough to show me the machines in his garage. It sounds like he is a stand up guy from the stories that others have posted, so maybe I just didn't have luck getting a hold of him.

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

One thing is for sure, when we are stuck dealing with corporate companies to get things like machine work done, we'll be missing characters like Mike and shops like his.

I think the oil would just thin out to the point it was having a hard time building proper pressure at certain times? Not entirely sure, but yeah, once you come to a conclusion (whatever it may be) make sure you keep this thread updated. Nobody likes to be thrown under the bus by a squeaky wheel, especially if it was unwarranted! Hoping this solves your issues man! I know your car seems pretty sick.
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

We need to get a meet together. Lots of bad cars coming out of the woodwork. An S54 iX is running around in the wild out here!

I need turbo motivation.
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

We need to get a meet together. Lots of bad cars coming out of the woodwork. An S54 iX is running around in the wild out here!

I need turbo motivation.

I keep trolling everything seconding this motion.

Starting to feel like a creep, "let's all get together and meet nrghhh."

So let's do this before school starts. I'm in PDX.
                  Derek-

Comment

I need turbo motivation.
                    I'm down, haven't been to a local meet yet

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

The 20W-50 oil seems to have fixed the oil burning issue after a 30 min drive. Didn't notice any oil smoke during decel or downshifting. First post has been updated.

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Yes, you guys dumping thin oil in your M20s are going to get problems. Make the effort to get your hands on thicker oil. Walmart sometimes has the Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic on the shelf. Or go on Amazon and order it up. Yes, it is usually more expensive, but would you run too thin blood in your own body unless the doctor told you to?
                        Lance Richert '88 M3, #35 PRO3, i3 etc.
                        www.LanceRichertArchitect.com

2019 E30 Picnic Weekend: June 22-23 2019

Comment

Working...
                        X