Flywheel/clutch noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel/clutch noise

So I got some issues peeps. The pinion on my starter was sticking one day so I sprayed a little PB in the little inspection hole to lube the ring gear up some and after a while it started making a whining/slipping noise as if the flywheelis rubbing compliments if the PB.

I had no noise before this and it really isn't an issue minus the noise and I can feel a small vibration through the clutch pedal now. Anybody got any ideas. I've already tried to spray some brake clean to dry it out but that didn't work. Anything short of dropping the tranny? Feeling extra dumb right now. Lol
    DENY IGNORANCE!
    Schwarz 325-totaled
    brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
    don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

vibration in the clutch pedal is more than likely a throw out bearing on its way out...i had a vibration in mine and didnt do anything for about 20K miles, so you have time...but one day it exploded and I had to limp home in 2nd gear...nothing was damaged, just needed to remove the tranny to put a new TOB on...I did a full clutch job while i was at it too
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Yea I kinda half butt planned on doing the clutch within the next couple months. Didn't have any issue until the spray though. Well maybe I can get a lightened flywheel by then or get one lightened.

Anybody got anything on the noise though? Somthing I'll just have to deal with? I can hear the clutch and flywheel when they mate now in first gear
      DENY IGNORANCE!
      Schwarz 325-totaled
      brilliantrot 318i-daily

don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

I'm no expert but if you got PB on your clutch it may be slipping a bit. You could get an m20 flywheel conversion since the stock flywheel is hard to lighten. I had a vibration in my clutch pedal...always assumed it was the TOB but never did anything about it. It was fine and didn't get worse from the time I bought the car (with the vibration) to 15k later when I blew my engine. What does the noise sound like?
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by kwill22 View Post
          Yea I kinda half butt planned on doing the clutch within the next couple months. Didn't have any issue until the spray though. Well maybe I can get a lightened flywheel by then or get one lightened.

Anybody got anything on the noise though? Somthing I'll just have to deal with? I can hear the clutch and flywheel when they mate now in first gear
          Clutch slave going bad, or the pivot pin/release arm being excessively worn? You can remove the slave and replace it without removing the transmission, of course access is a bit tight.

If you do happen to think there is something on the clutch disc you can always step on the brake pedal while pressing the throttle and releasing the clutch. Will certainly remove any contaminant while simultaneously glazing one of the three clutch components. ;) Of course this is a terrible idea if you suspect there may be another problem.

Comment

The slave is not even 3 years old BUT that's not saying much because it was an emergency last minute thing so it's from autozone. :roll:

The noise it makes literally sounds like the surface of the flywheel is wet or lubed and spinning up against somthing else.(possible bearing) Even when the clutch is not engaged. But I only hear it a low speeds. 1st and 2nd gear. I feel it in the clutch pedal but I pretty sure it's just being transferred from the flywheel. I tried brake clean but now it sounds like its dry rubbing instead of wet rubbing. I can't win.
            Last edited by kwill22; 01-28-2014, 10:52 AM.
            DENY IGNORANCE!
            Schwarz 325-totaled
            brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

PM me and give me a call. I'm in OP and ive removed my trans twice in the last 4 weeks. I also had a noise but mine was inside trans. I just got my bearing and will be putting trans back together tonight.

In its current condition...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

The slave is not even 3 years old BUT that's not saying much because it was an emergency last minute thing so it's from autozone. :roll:

The noise it makes literally sounds like the surface of the flywheel is wet or lubed and spinning up against somthing else.(possible bearing) Even when the clutch is not engaged. But I only hear it a low speeds. 1st and 2nd gear. I feel it in the clutch pedal but I pretty sure it's just being transferred from the flywheel. I tried brake clean but now it sounds like its dry rubbing instead of wet rubbing. I can't win.
                Sounds like TOB
                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Met up with Poorboyz and decided on the throw-out bearing. Last night it went to a new level though. The noise is a metallic metal on metal sound that's there when idling in neutral. But gets exponentially worse when I press the clutch in. Sounds like I'm doing sound effects for a sci-fi movie. Needless to say she's sitting until the parts come in.
                  DENY IGNORANCE!
                  Schwarz 325-totaled
                  brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Just an update for future reference. I pulled the tranny tonight and sure enough it was the throw out. It had completely seized which would explain the horrible shill/screeching noise.
                    Putting everything back in tomorrow.

Pulling the tranny was deffinately a lot easier than most make it seem. Then again we have 4 cylinders instead of six. M42 FTW
                    DENY IGNORANCE!
                    Schwarz 325-totaled
                    brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Just an update for future reference. I pulled the tranny tonight and sure enough it was the throw out. It had completely seized which would explain the horrible shill/screeching noise.
                      Putting everything back in tomorrow.

Pulling the tranny was deffinately a lot easier than most make it seem. Then again we have 4 cylinders instead of six. M42 FTW
                      Glad you got it worked out. It certainly is easier to pull the transmission than one might think, but it helps if your exhaust studs aren't seized, if your flex disc bolts are not ungodly tight, and if you have an extra pair of hands.

Comment

Yea it sure would. I also found out the PO put the guibo bolts in wrong.
                        DENY IGNORANCE!
                        Schwarz 325-totaled
                        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Having. Similar problem on my 318. It's a fairly new clutch. Engages nice, but when clutch pedal depressed all the way, there is definitely a vibration felt on the pedal. Also happens when shifting thru the gears. Vibration is even felt in the shifter. Can it be bad TOB?

Comment

Could be the TOB, but I would start by looking at the trans mounts. A myriad of other issues are possible of course, but start with a good visual inspection.

Comment

Working...
                            X