Burning coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning coolant

I go to start my car Monday and it cranks 1 time the cuts out like the starter stopped. Then I cranked it again and it cranked about 3 times before cutting out again. Third time I tried it started fine but was burning coolant. White smoke and everything. Smoke stopped when the car warmed up. my car had no symptoms or issues before this time.

It was dark so I said I'd deal with it Tuesday. Went out and it started fine. No smoke no coolant smell no nothing. So I drove it to work with no issues and after work gave it a compression test and filled and bled the coolant. Still no issues. Compression was 170-180-181-180. Coolant reservoir did bubble when holding the throttle.

So today to go to crank it up and it cranks 2 times and on the third crank it sounded like it missed or just had a hard crank and cranked 2 more times and did the hard crank again the started fine. Had smoke again this morning until it warmed up and the smoke went away.

I have no mixture of coolant and oil either when I checked yesterday. I would think I have a gap or something somewhere that seals up when the engine heats up but that doesn't explain yesterday's cold start when It started just fine. I got a head gasket tester and gonna check to see if its exhaust coming into the coolant system today after work. Also car doesn't overheat.

Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance!

PS. Also replaced the head gasket and various other things about a year and a half ago. But DIDNT resurface the head. Dumb yea I know but nothing I can do about it now.
    DENY IGNORANCE!
    Schwarz 325-totaled
    brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
    don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

I live in an apartment so no compressor to do leak down
    DENY IGNORANCE!
    Schwarz 325-totaled
    brilliantrot 318i-daily

don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

if you didnt resurface chances are the job is going to have to be done again correctly. It sounds like the HG is leaking at certain engine temps and sealing when hotter.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

That's what I think I will end up doing. I used a tester to check if exhaust gases where escaping through the coolant overflow and it never register exhaust gas. Just to be sure I held it to the actual exhaust and it turned yellowish/green so it registered.

Well looks like I'm pulling the head this weekend.
        DENY IGNORANCE!
        Schwarz 325-totaled
        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Called the shop and if I can bring it in the morning they can have it done by the afternoon.

Question is should I go ahead and take the cams and valves out or can I turn the cams to where the valves won't interfere with the process
          DENY IGNORANCE!
          Schwarz 325-totaled
          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

remove the complete valvetrain before you cut the head. the cams valves and springs all have to come out.

You can pull the cams easy. If the machine shop you are taking it to knows what they are doing they will remove the valves for you before they machine it.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Yea. I was trying to avoid having to pay them for it when I can do it myself. Since I'm doing everything else. Thanks for the input
              DENY IGNORANCE!
              Schwarz 325-totaled
              brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

If you can get a good set locally it's a great time to do the valve stem seals.

Further, when I got my cyl head done a couple of years ago in Ocala I removed the cams, but left the valves in, got it tested for cracks, cleaned, machined and reassembled with new stem seals (that I provided) for $120.

But if you are really hard up you can pull/reinstall the valves yourself with a press, a notched socket, a magnetic pick up tool (for the retainers) and patience in about 30 minutes, just don't lose a finger in the process.

Comment

Yea I've been trying to pop the retainers off but I don't have a notched socket so I can't see what I'm doing ill pro only push down with some lineman pliers and have my wife take the retainer off if I don't have a remover at work.
                  DENY IGNORANCE!
                  Schwarz 325-totaled
                  brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Heads cracked.
                    DENY IGNORANCE!
                    Schwarz 325-totaled
                    brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Is the crack in cylinder 2's exhaust port by one of the valve guides?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Yes sir.well it was cracked by cylinder 2 or 3 (have to look at it) coming from a coolant hole. Have one one the way as of today hopefully. I was trying to think of all I could do while I have it apart but no funds at the moment. (Performance wise)
                          DENY IGNORANCE!
                          Schwarz 325-totaled
                          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Working...
                          X