No announcement yet.

B35 hibernation mode with MS3X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some more random pics. I went back to a stock steering wheel as the Momo interfered with me seeing the instruments, especially with the lowered column.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bearmw; 05-28-2016, 04:36 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Nice to see another m30b35 running MS around! Could you snag a closer shot of where your alternator snorkel meets the trim piece behind the headlights? I like how you have that set up, I might need to copy it :)

Comment

The hole I cut for the alternator vent was less than elegantly done but I will try to get a better pic tomorrow. I think I used some kind of weather stripping around the hole.
        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Some wiring fun.
          As a side story on my first E30 which was an 87 325 the seller had started an e to I swap but didn't get it running. Because I couldn't get it to run either I brought it to a local German car specialty shop which looked good on paper to sort out the wiring and get it running. After about nearly 3 months of sitting ( and numerous promises of when it would be fixed) in his lot he finally admitted he wouldn't do the job and so pissed off I had it towed back home. That forced me to really look at the wiring and learn how to read the ETM (actually still learning more of it) and what I eventually found was some burned ground wires under the dash. Not sure when that might have happened but I cut out and spilced in some new wires and that got it running. As a result I don't hate working on wiring as much.

I have a few wiring pics of my vert that show the good and the ugly but I can't get them to upload momentarily. Maybe the size is too big but I'm too lazy to bother right now. I am pleased with how the amp and battery are in the back. I may try a lighter battery later but this one only weighs 39 lbs. which isn't that bad.

Correction: the battery is an Autocraft silver 91-1 which weighs 35 lbs.
          Last edited by Bearmw; 05-31-2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I purchased some Koni 1021 adjustable front struts but have no idea when I will be able to install them. However I was able to install some transmission mount Enforcer cups I had laying around and also changed things up and mounted VDO cockpit gauges in the center vent instead of the digital ones. I prefer analog for this. Lastly I put the engine plastic under tray back on for ultimate aero efficiency.

I should be able to put in the 3.46 within the next couple of weeks.

I can't wait to drive it again.

Comment

Some of my earlier wiring fun. I may do it over this winter.
              IMG_20160505_205627592-480x853.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

And my daily for good measure. It is actually filthy dirty in and out right now. This pic was 3 weeks agoIMG_20160523_105031019_HDR-640x360.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

In the woods.

IMG_20160417_174013908-640x360.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

0627151043-640x480.jpg

A familiar view. The 3.46 and Koni's are in. I need to do more tuning but the other day I got a ticket for 26 mph over the limit while "tuning". He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I truthfully answered "I don't know". My speedo is not currently working. I was trying to go faster. At least the tach works.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bearmw; 06-21-2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Today I washed the car. It's been well over a year and was getting bad even for my standards. I also adjusted the front strut to one full turn stiffness and added a window tint strip. I only have had the tint strip one day and I love it. I did a crappy job of installing it but it sort of goes along with the ratty nature of the car. Top down is real nice. This was my first vert of any kind. I've had some bikes and missed the wind in my face so its been awesome having that again.

Comment

I finally got around to changing my exhaust a bit. I'm running 2 1/2" single pipe from the headers into a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and then to Walker Dynomax Super Turbo single outlet muffler. What I changed was going from model 17733 muffler which has a 14" body to the model 17748 muffler which has a 20" body. The same muffler just longer. I am very happy with the difference in sound. The smaller muffler would have been fine for track use but the bigger one is way better for the street as it sounds quieter and deeper.

Comment

Your MS set up is also giving me bad ideas about mine BearMW :devil: ... I'd love to set mine up with a wasted spark system to give me more room at the front. I already have a distributor blanking plate from one of the group buys on here.

How's the drone with the 2.5 inch single? I run one on mine, but it drones pretty bad. Longer term I'm thinking of going over to a 2 inch twin system, although this will be fairly pricey to get fabricated.

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                          Nice to see another m30b35 running MS around! Could you snag a closer shot of where your alternator snorkel meets the trim piece behind the headlights? I like how you have that set up, I might need to copy it :)
                          Corvallis - for the snorkel, the simplest thing to do is use the e32 piece.

Strangely with minor mods it fits straight up to the stock e30 inlet that was originally there for the M20 air box. The trumpet forcing extra air into the alternator is no doubt overkill, but it works fine and looks neat.

Last edited by lukeADE335i; 08-21-2016, 03:37 PM.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

The alternator trumpet helps support my cooling hoses between the overflow reservoir and the heater core and t-stat housing. I have toyed with the idea of a lightweight alternator but that would require making a hose support as well so its on the back burner.

I had some drone with the smaller muffler for sure. I have never run twin pipes on the M30 so I have nothing to compare to but imagine that could eliminate drone. Just look at how heavy and overbuiIt a factory M30 exhaust is and its easy to see one way to make an exhaust. I am happy with my current setup but could probably quiet it a little more with a longer mid-muffler instead of the resonator I have but how much difference it would really make I have no clue? I like the current sound. Like any custom setup it comes down to trial and error and what is acceptable is very subjective.

Right now most my noise comes from the super thin hood and my alternator has some scratching or chirping noise (but it charges fine). Oh yeah and taking advantage of the broad torque band whenever possible.

Comment

Oh yeah and taking advantage of the broad torque band whenever possible.
                              lol... that's probably my problem too.

I have a fairly small rear muffler and quite a long resonator in my exhaust, it's not raspy at all, so maybe I just need a bigger rear muffler.

It's certainly subjective & many people jump in my car and say it sounds awesome, it's just I drive it day in day out, so it gets a bit tiresome... that, and I'm not 18 any more, I'm sure I would have loved it when I was younger :D
                              Last edited by lukeADE335i; 08-22-2016, 05:43 AM.
                              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

...not 18 anymore. LOL. Me neither.

Comment

Working...
                                X