m30 motor too far forward with Garagistic mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 motor too far forward with Garagistic mounts

I am swapping a m30B35 from a '90 735i into an '84 318i with Garagistic motor mounts. The motor fits fine, but when I tried to install my e28 535i radiator the distributor cap wires are touching the radiator fins. The motor is at least 1/2" too far forward, has anyone else dealt with this? Any tips for resolving this?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Following because I’m gonna be using these mounts also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What engine mounts are you using? Should be stock M20 mounts.

Comment

Oval out the hole on the arm and slide the engine back. Going to have to beat the fire wall some. Use a flanged nut and washer to tighten it down. This is how hartge did it and works fine.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I have the same issue and I am using new OEM M20 rubber mounts and E28 M525i radiator. I was likely going to oval the hole as it looks like the mount will allow for that. However, very disappointing and horribly unacceptable that a $225 mount does not fit properly. But I am done dealing with these guys after they took over 2 months to get the mounts to me after I called weekly and was told they would ship by the end of the week.
          1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
          2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
          "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Originally posted by jdance30 View Post
            I have the same issue and I am using new OEM M20 rubber mounts and E28 M525i radiator. I was likely going to oval the hole as it looks like the mount will allow for that. However, very disappointing and horribly unacceptable that a $225 mount does not fit properly. But I am done dealing with these guys after they took over 2 months to get the mounts to me after I called weekly and was told they would ship by the end of the week.

Garagistic is terrible with engine mounts. It took months to get my M60 swap mounts and when I finally did get the they sent me 2 L/H mounts. Then they wanted me to send back one of the L/H mounts before they would send a R/H mount.
            I can’t believe they don’t have 2 mounting hole locations. The e28 535i radiator is pretty skinny so if you can’t even clear that radiator then that is a very poorly designed mount.

Comment

Thanks to everyone above for the replies, it’s incredibly helpful to understand that the mounts might need some modding. I can deal with that. I am using stock m20 mounts with a 1/8” spacer for a bit more clearance to the steering rack.

Tomorrow I will pull out the Garagistic mount arms and oval out the holes. I pushed in the firewall a bit already so I should be able to slide the motor back enough. I currently have 1 7/8” clearance from the plug wires exiting the distributor cap to the sheet metal radiator support. My e28 radiator’s fins are 2” from that point.

Comment

I believe I have modified the mounts appropriately now, but the swap isn't running yet so can't say with certainty. Just for background, I have new stock motor mounts and my car has no accident damage that would screw up the motor alignment.

After lots of measuring, I found the Garagistic mount arms as delivered to position the motor 9/16" too low on the driver's side. It was also 1/2" closer to the drivers side when I measured from the crank center to the frame rails. And the leads leaving the distributor, after removing the plastic covers, were 1 7/8" from the radiator support sheet metal.

All of the measuring happened because once the motor was in I saw 4 problems immediately:
                - radiator (e28 535i unit) wouldn't fit between the distributor and body;
                - intake manifold was touching the brake booster;
                - oilpan was touching the steering rack;
                - transmission was rotated clockwise relative to the trans mount (looking from front of the car)

I opened up the holes on the mount arms so I could move the motor to the passenger side and back 1/2" in both directions and shimmed up the drivers side 9/16". All 4 of the above issues seem to be solved. Then I welded material back on to the arms so I was left with the original 1/2" hole they come with.

I am in the midst of welding up an exhaust system which will take a while with my fabrication skills but after that I will try to fire it up and see if the position works.

Comment

Wow. I'll take note of this when considering any parts that Garagistic makes.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Based on their description of the mounts, all they seem to care about is fitting aftermarket headers. I'd take a mount that doesn't touch the radiator, brake booster, AND steering rack over a mount that fits a $600 set of headers I'm never going to buy.

These mounts have made me lose my mind more than once. When I pay $225 for a part I expect it to work with no modification.
                    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
                    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
                    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

you should of taken pictures of the mounts.
                      dumb thing to ask, but r u sure one side bushing wasn't in the longer hole right next to where it's supposed to go?

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Wow. I'll take note of this when considering any parts that Garagistic makes.
                      i bought one of their delron bushings for the front shifter holder.
                      the pin that holds it in didn't fit. i had to heat it up and melt it through.

Melted to fit1 by jet jones, on Flickr
                      Melted to fit by jet jones, on Flickr
                      Last edited by LowR3V'in; 01-27-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

On my project I slated my steal motor mounts. Hartge did same back in the day.

DSC03951 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

[QUOTE=LowR3V'in;4866120]you should of taken pictures of the mounts.
                          dumb thing to ask, but r u sure one side bushing wasn't in the longer hole right next to where it's supposed to go?

Are you referring to how the rubber motor mounts fit on the subframe OR how the subframe mounts to the frame rails? I will check both though.

Comment

i mean how the actual bushing bolt goes in the subframe.
                            like one is in the right hole and the other one is in the other one right next to it.
                            just a dumb thing that could happen but you probably would catch it if it were.

That means all the mounts garagistic sent out are fucked up
                            idk that's hard to believe, but the hole for my shifter mount was too small so..

Comment

Having just had my subframe out, so it's fresh in my mind - the holes are different sizes. One is for the bolt on the engine mount and one for a lug on the bottom of the rubber mount to locate it.

Unless you've drilled out the hole that fits the lug on the rubber mount, the lug is smaller than the bolt, and you can't fit it the wrong way.

As for the mount arms - I'm running the e30.de arms, and they have been excellent - well fabricated and no problems with fitment at all if you're looking for a solution that just bolts up and sits the engine where needed.
                              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                              X