No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I got the steering rack out and converted the knuckle. FYI, I used the 7/16 bolt and had to enlarge the hole where the grounded rivets were in order to get the bolt through the knuckle.

Getting ready to install the new E36 rack and noticed that it has cooling lines. Should I install the rack with the cooling lines?

Comment

Originally posted by David325is View Post
      We live in America and America is still stuck on using the wrong unit of measurement.

I used two M10 x 50 hex head bolts. FYI, I had to enlarge the holes where the grounded rivets were removed on the steering knuckle to make them fit.
      I used the 7/16 inch bolts and had to enlarge the holes in the steering knuckle too.

Comment

-
        Last edited by swooper; 11-08-2008, 04:39 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

Originally posted by swooper View Post
          The E36 rack that I bought has cooling lines still attached. Can I install the rack with the cooling lines? Should I? If so, is there anything that I need to do?
          You will need to remove the cooling line (metal coil thing) because it will run interference with the oil pan. Ask me how I know. It isn't necessary in our (e30) case anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by David325is View Post
            You will need to remove the cooling line (metal coil thing) because it will run interference with the oil pan. Ask me how I know. It isn't necessary in our (e30) case anyway.
            Thanks. That's what I thought might be the case, but wanted to confirm.

Comment

So I read through over half of this DIY but what locking tabs do you use? The old E30/36 ones or do you use new ones and for which car e30 or e36?
              never mind I found the answer but are there any of the already spaced rebuild knuckles available??
              Originally posted by Nicademus
              My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Originally posted by Kingb View Post
                never mind I found the answer but are there any of the already spaced rebuild knuckles available??
                AKG motorsport sells modified steering knuckles. Go to http://www.akgmotorsport.com/e30products.html and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Comment

What part number are you guys using for the replacement E36 racks, specifically the Z3?

Realoem shows 32131095575 for the Z3, but I was sent 32131469273/32131140828 from BMA.
                  Now: 1991 318is Diamond Schwartz ;)
                  Then: 1990 M3 Brilliant Red (sold) :(
                  Then: 2002 330i (sold) :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Kingb View Post
                    So I read through over half of this DIY but what locking tabs do you use? The old E30/36 ones or do you use new ones and for which car e30 or e36?
                    You can use either locking tab. The E30 tabs are cheaper so I usually go with them.

I also rebuild them as posted here..

Comment

Is the part # for new locking tabs in post 1? am I missing it?
                      S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                      What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Rack-to-Frame spacers & Tie Rod End Questions

Steering swap gurus,

My e36 rack is on the way for installation into my 1991 airbag 318i. I noticed that it appears spacers are used when mounting the rack into the frame? Why? Are the e36 rack mounting bosses narrower/thinner than the e30 models?

I noticed that some installers have simply stacked washers -- some on the bottom, some on the top -- to slightly move the position of the rack for clearance. I like there flexibility of this solution, even if it is, ah, less elegant. ;-) Thoughts?

Are the BMW OEM spacers used on stock e36 installs? Just curious...

And what is the correct part number for the BMW spacers.

And, finally, my rack is coming complete with e36 tie rod ends? Are they a direct fit? Any mods required?

Sorry for being so anal, but I don't no surprises.

Thanks, Gary

Comment

You can use E36 tie rods (inner and outer).

Not sure how to answer the answer stuff but you do bring up an good question about the washer placement.
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                            Is the part # for new locking tabs in post 1? am I missing it?
                            I need help with this part #, nothing on realoem. preferably the e30 locking tab if its significantly cheaper.
                            S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                            What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

I don't get it. I put an e36 rack in an airbag and a non airbag car and didn't have to modify the shaft plate or joints in either case. Most work I had to do was cut the splines comming out of the firewall like an inche shorter in the non airbag car. The other car was direct bolt up except for the spacers on the crossmember
                              First: 1984 318i
                              Second: 1987 325
                              Third: 1987 325is
                              Current: 1990 325i (Soon To Be 335i)

Comment

The benefit of the washers is you can move the rack ups and down to prevent bump steer. The tie rods should be straight across level with the rack when the car is on the ground

Originally posted by 318idol View Post
                                Steering swap gurus,

My e36 rack is on the way for installation into my 1991 airbag 318i. I noticed that it appears spacers are used when mounting the rack into the frame? Why? Are the e36 rack mounting bosses narrower/thinner than the e30 models?

I noticed that some installers have simply stacked washers -- some on the bottom, some on the top -- to slightly move the position of the rack for clearance. I like there flexibility of this solution, even if it is, ah, less elegant. ;-) Thoughts?

Are the BMW OEM spacers used on stock e36 installs? Just curious...

And what is the correct part number for the BMW spacers.

And, finally, my rack is coming complete with e36 tie rod ends? Are they a direct fit? Any mods required?

Sorry for being so anal, but I don't no surprises.

Thanks, Gary
                                First: 1984 318i
                                Second: 1987 325
                                Third: 1987 325is
                                Current: 1990 325i (Soon To Be 335i)

Comment

Working...
                                X