DRTY 30 Project log <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lambo View Post
    The idea of turboing my M20 is starting to creep on me...
    You and me both.

Great build Kyle! You're getting close. That wiring looks like a nightmare.

Comment

is this going to making the trek over tp the Picnic this weekend?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
        The idea of turboing my M20 is starting to creep on me...
        CREEEEEEEEEEP

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
        You and me both.

Great build Kyle! You're getting close. That wiring looks like a nightmare.
        The wiring isn't the issue, its my "go big or go home mentality... " LOL

Originally posted by 2man View Post
        is this going to making the trek over tp the Picnic this weekend?
        I wish i could have made it.. Work screwed me and little issues with the car, etc.

** BACK FROM THE DEAD... I know it's been a while. Still having issues with this car, oil pressure after 2 oil pumps, injectors/fuel etc.

Putting some more wrenching time into her this weekend after stepping away and giving myself a break for a little bit. Nothing burns me out more than a constant headache (my own doing lol).

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Update -

Fuel issue has been sorted out, BIG thanks to KAmotors for the help there. She is idling nicely now after calibrating the 80lb injectors. The cooling system needs to be bled but other than that, it's looking better than before. Pics to come.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Yissss.
            Was the Oil pressure problem just the 2 faulty pumps?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              Yissss.
              Was the Oil pressure problem just the 2 faulty pumps?
              You know I can't say if it was the pumps, i replaced the pump while i was there under warranty exchange just to rule it out.

Based on the mechanical gauge reading, im getting adequate pressure, im just not seeing (what I think) is enough oil to/in the head, but i do see a little oil getting there. This motor has 13k miles on it, all clearances were checked and the appropriate bearings were installed. I never had an oiling issue for those 13k miles so i am trying to rule out as much as i can right now.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
                Update -

Fuel issue has been sorted out, BIG thanks to KAmotors for the help there. She is idling nicely now after calibrating the 80lb injectors. The cooling system needs to be bled but other than that, it's looking better than before. Pics to come.
                Where are said pics? I can't wait to see this in person. If I ever get to.

Comment

glad you got it working:)

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                    Where are said pics? I can't wait to see this in person. If I ever get to.
                    I will take you for a spin here soon my friend :)

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                    glad you got it working:)
                    Thanks buddy, i have narrowed it down to the pressure relief valve that sits below the turbo feed, measured the pressure (spinning the pump with a drill) and now I have nothing registering on the mechanical gauge. My guess it's been this sucker all along, getting stuck open or not working correctly leading to the pressure being bled off.

New part on order, dropping the front sub-frame and pulling the pan tomorrow getting it ready. The sad part is, i didnt think such a simple part could fail so hard, i never thought to replace it because it wasn't broken at the time, lesson learned on a 3k rebuild and skipping the ~$50 dollar valve.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

I will take you for a spin here soon my friend :)

Thanks buddy, i have narrowed it down to the pressure relief valve that sits below the turbo feed, measured the pressure (spinning the pump with a drill) and now I have nothing registering on the mechanical gauge. My guess it's been this sucker all along, getting stuck open or not working correctly leading to the pressure being bled off.

New part on order, dropping the front sub-frame and pulling the pan tomorrow getting it ready. The sad part is, i didnt think such a simple part could fail so hard, i never thought to replace it because it wasn't broken at the time, lesson learned on a 3k rebuild and skipping the ~$50 dollar valve.

That is how it always is though, dimes holding up dollars. I'm glad you got it figured out. Its the worst when you've spent hours and hours building and everything goes smoothly and then there is that one gremlin that takes days to figure out, and its always something simple.

Comment

So hurry up and get this thing running!!
                        I had to join r3v just to give you some crap>:D
                        Uncle RA RA

Comment

Bump from the dead.....

I need to know if there is only 1 main oil feed to the 885 head from the block or are there more? I am still not getting oil flow to the head of my car.

Since my last post, i have completely torn the motor back down and had my machine shop re-verify all bearing clearances and oil galleries on the block. Re-assembled, still the same damn issue of no oil flow to the head.

With the head off, i spun the oil pump over and oil shoots out of the galley that feeds the head, i assume this is the only one???? From the oil pressure sender location, i am reading 71 psi via a mechanical gauge after re-assembly (same before the tear-down)...

I am seeing very little oil seep out of the Exhaust intake rocker arm bar and rockers. I see NO oil seep out of the intake rocker arm bar and rockers. There is NO oil coming out of the spray tube, also when disconnected, the feed galleys for the spray tube stay bone dry while priming the oil system via a drill (still reading 70-72 psi on gauge)..

I have verified that the rocker arm shafts are correctly positioned and the key has been in place the entire time (i take pictures to document assembly process from the multiple tear-downs this engine has had)...

I am at a loss, the head is due to go into the machine shop on Monday to see if there is a clog or possible mis-matched rocker arm shafts were originally installed, i cannot think of anything else that would be causing this issue....

My guesses:

- Clogged oil galley in block ( ONLY IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE OIL FEEDS TO HEAD, I ONLY OBSERVE ONE FEED PORT )
                          - Clogged oil passage(s) in head
                          - Mis-matched rocker arm shafts (causing oil blockage to all other head galleys/bars)

** Please note, im not mad/nor blaming anyone involved with this head, i just need some help with working through this very annoying issue.... lol
                          Last edited by Cronopoulos; 06-07-2014, 05:25 PM.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

So.... Apparently my built head is missing some oil journals.... The head is stamped 885, so possibly an early SETA head without the oil journals drilled for the later cam???

Kind of disappointing but relieving to know why i wasn't getting any oil flow to the intake rocker arm shaft...

Also, buying back my known good 885 head that i used for 13k miles before swapping on the built head... going to compare the oil journals on this one to see if this is indeed where the problem lies.. No doubt it's a journal issue looking at the oil flow.

GOD.DAMN.IT.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

So.... Apparently my built head is missing some oil journals.... The head is stamped 885, so possibly an early SETA head without the oil journals drilled for the later cam???

Kind of disappointing but relieving to know why i wasn't getting any oil flow to the intake rocker arm shaft...

Also, buying back my known good 885 head that i used for 13k miles before swapping on the built head... going to compare the oil journals on this one to see if this is indeed where the problem lies.. No doubt it's a journal issue looking at the oil flow.

GOD.DAMN.IT.
                              I know you've gotten the 885 head back from bimmer heads. What is the verdict on when the head goes back on? I'm waiting for that call to come over and supervise the head mounting.

I'm starting to like the idea of m20 turbo.

Comment

A teaser until this weekend when I slam her to the ground. During winter I am sourcing some late model plastic bumpers for front and rear (obes style)...

looks legit with these, what size are they? spacer thickness?
                                Originally posted by dvck
                                I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X