X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efficient View Post
    I like the paint. Looks pretty clean
    Originally posted by sert57 View Post
    Really like the direction you're going with this, it looks like a great daily! Paint + Wheels + Suspension work really well together.

Thanks guys, the paint doesnt look too bad in pics. Its worse in person and Ive been avoiding her ugly side as the pass fender corner has been "repaired"

Overall, Im happy. This morning, I fired it up and held it at 2500-3k rpms for at least a minute to warm it up quick. It didnt die and I made it to work without issue. This will be my temp solution until I get my sensors from Blunt. I ordered both coolant temp sensors, the oil level sensor (check panel light stays on), and also a contitech timing belt kit with the tensioner. Im pretty sure the belt isnt past its time, but once I get the cluster fixed, I want to schedule a time to do the TB job so that I can start keeping track of it.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Ayyye, cheers to a fellow daily! :up:

I concur on the coolant temperature sensor, I had a very similar issue with mine. I actually wasn't throwing a check engine light, but a quick stomp test showed I was throwing the code for it.

Hopefully it works out for ya, easy fix!

P.S. Solid rubber is the way to go, at least for your trailing arms. I went with poly and even after extensive lubrication they've started making noises again after about 5000 miles. :-(

Comment

so what did you end up paying the guy after the lowball?

another resurrected e30!!
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        '90 325i sedan daily driven
        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
          Ayyye, cheers to a fellow daily! :up:

I concur on the coolant temperature sensor, I had a very similar issue with mine. I actually wasn't throwing a check engine light, but a quick stomp test showed I was throwing the code for it.

Hopefully it works out for ya, easy fix!

P.S. Solid rubber is the way to go, at least for your trailing arms. I went with poly and even after extensive lubrication they've started making noises again after about 5000 miles. :-(

Thanks, the coolant temp sensors and an oil level sensor are en route from Bluntech so those will hopefully get me one step closer, in addition to the VDO gears so that this car will be a solid daily.

Definitely looking forward to having all rubber bushings again.

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
          so what did you end up paying the guy after the lowball?

another resurrected e30!!

There are cheap E30s out there still, just have to keep looking . My budget was $4k and after spending a bunch of money on the mods I'm still under budget.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

congrats on the ride.

I also had a newer euro dd back in the day. It was in the late 00's I had a 3 year old Volvo S60. It was NA with 5 speed stick (I was more interested in longevity and reliability). Silly me never thought a newer car (almost 20 years newer than the e30) could be so damn lame! I mean really, couldn't Volvo have reverse-engineered an old BWM 3 series and use that as their premise for a nice handling car?!?! I mean shit, it ain't rocket science!!!

Anywhoo, maybe it's just the Chartruese green talkin' but that's a decen't little 88 ya got! I'd be interested to hear how you disposed of the benzo!
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Glad you got another e30! I've been MIA for a bit and was shocked to see you sold the monster!
              89 325i 4dr s52
              02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
              21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

So rad, she looks so right on the new suspension setup. Love seeing another local 4d rescue. There's something about starting fresh with a new (albeit dirty) slate. It's a little painful at first, but it's so satisfying addressing the little things in the garage.

P.s.: We should take our 4d project cars on a kabab date

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Sweet find, whats the intake manifold look like? My car started out as a super eta auto as well.

Comment

Cirrusly Blue - The Daily Driver E30

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                    Glad you got another e30! I've been MIA for a bit and was shocked to see you sold the monster!

Thanks it was tough, but I'm happy with how things have worked out.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    So rad, she looks so right on the new suspension setup. Love seeing another local 4d rescue. There's something about starting fresh with a new (albeit dirty) slate. It's a little painful at first, but it's so satisfying addressing the little things in the garage.

P.s.: We should take our 4d project cars on a kabab date

Thank you, we should meet up for sure but I definitely want to do a drive in e roadster haha

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                    Sweet find, whats the intake manifold look like? My car started out as a super eta auto as well.

This is a 325i for sure.

Today I spent the 5 minutes it takes to swap the coolant sensors.

Look at that cosmoline, haha

5 minutes later...

Bluntech gets the parts so quick I wasn't ready to swap them but I figured doing these today would answer the question if this will fix the cold start. The car had been parked for a little while but definitely not an accurate test of a cold start.

We'll find out in the morning...

Not sure when I'll tackle the timing belt but I should have some cool other parts to throw on this week.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Cirrusly Blue - The Daily Driver E30

So today's mission was to fix the odometer. I had Garagistic VDO gears and also their OBC LED bar ( tomorrow's project)

Here's the work station after the cluster was removed.

Yup, these are broken

It's been broken for at least 7 years according to the carfax, so I thought I could advance it to be more accurate. My goal was 188, but the progress was slow. I improvised...

This worked until the battery in the drill died. I got to 167k before it died so that's where we're at.

I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't get any completed pics but the cluster is fixed. One step in the right direction.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the OBC and stereo working again. Stay tuned...
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Today's mission was to get the Garagistic LED light bar for the OBC. Sadly this meant having to tear the the HVAC panel out and this is always a pain in the ass. It's freaking impossible to get the lower screw back in but the headache didn't stop there. I couldn't get the headunit to stay on. The connection needed pressure on it. As soon as I reinstalled it it went silent again but at least the OBC is working again...

Small victories

The mess

The whole point
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

glad to see you in another e30

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Looks good Simon! I have a soft spot for blue e30s. My first one was a pretty uncommon baltic blau. Cirrus is probably my second favorite e30 paint color.

You're making quick work of it, too. I need to get off my ass and work on mine again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                              glad to see you in another e30
                              Thanks, It was inevitable. I really enjoy daily driving an E30.

Originally posted by WestCoastEta View Post
                              Looks good Simon! I have a soft spot for blue e30s. My first one was a pretty uncommon baltic blau. Cirrus is probably my second favorite e30 paint color.

You're making quick work of it, too. I need to get off my ass and work on mine again soon.
                              Im doing what I can to make sure its reliable and enjoyable. Of course, today the cold start issue got the best of me, so Im really going to ramp up my effort to eliminate this issue because its the only true thing holding it back from being a solid daily. Other "needs'' include fixing the pass side window (dead motor), charging the A/C, and of course, a 5 speed swap haha I need to schedule a weekend to do the timing belt job, as I already have the parts waiting for me, I just need to make sure I can get the job wrapped up before monday morning
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Good luck with the cold start issue. Sounds like fuel delivery to me –wafflesat least most of the fuel line parts are cheap!

My pass window crapped out on me a while back, too. I know a guy who can probably hook you up with a new motor if you need one.

Comment

Working...
                                X