No announcement yet.

E28 535i Hub assembly swap to get 5 stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any e28 rear hub will not fit to any stock e30 trailing arm.
    Any e28 front hub will not bolt to any non m3 e30 strut.

Rear hubs might be modified to fit e30 trailing arm, but due different desing you'd have to use custom drive shafts.
    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
      Any e28 rear hub will not fit to any stock e30 trailing arm.
      Any e28 front hub will not bolt to any non m3 e30 strut.

Rear hubs might be modified to fit e30 trailing arm, but due different desing you'd have to use custom drive shafts.
      After considering things over, I'll try to put e28 "big" rear hubs, which have separate drive flanges to stock e30 trailing arm, a 5mm metal insert will be needed since e28 bearing is wider.

After that you can't use e30 half shafts. I have no idea are the e28 shafts correct lenght. The differential flanges must also be from e28 equipped with type 188 differential(same as e30 "big case").

In this picture you can see e30 T/a's with e28 hubs, notice the completely different desing for mounting the shafts tho hubs versus e30.

Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
        After considering things over, I'll try to put e28 "big" rear hubs, which have separate drive flanges to stock e30 trailing arm, a 5mm metal insert will be needed since e28 bearing is wider.

After that you can't use e30 half shafts. I have no idea are the e28 shafts correct lenght. The differential flanges must also be from e28 equipped with type 188 differential(same as e30 "big case").

In this picture you can see e30 T/a's with e28 hubs, notice the completely different desing for mounting the shafts tho hubs versus e30.

I was going to do this also, but the rear shock was in the way.
        I see you have moved the rear shock mount back.

In the end I used a E28 rear end (subframe & trailing arms), it has better geometry than the E30 and is much bigger/stronger. Same as what Kilander, Saku and Andreas run in there +700hp monsters I believe.
        I was also aready running 5lug so the E28 backend worked well, and the shock mounts are designed for coilovers.

Nice work though Rocla, I saw your thread on one of the Finnish forums, a lot of effort, pity I couldn't read any of it :( pics were good though.
        292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

does the e28 rear subframe bolt in?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.j View Post
            does the e28 rear subframe bolt in?
            Not directly. It's close.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti View Post
              I was going to do this also, but the rear shock was in the way.
              I see you have moved the rear shock mount back.

In the end I used a E28 rear end (subframe & trailing arms), it has better geometry than the E30 and is much bigger/stronger. Same as what Kilander, Saku and Andreas run in there +700hp monsters I believe.
              I was also aready running 5lug so the E28 backend worked well, and the shock mounts are designed for coilovers.

Nice work though Rocla, I saw your thread on one of the Finnish forums, a lot of effort, pity I couldn't read any of it :( pics were good though.
              No, sorry if I misslead you, that subframe belongs to Trond Trondsen from Norway , thats not mine, and yes the shock will give some trouble.

Saku said that his subframe is mounted with eccentric bushings the difference in width of subframe e30 vs.e28 is ~1cm, it can either be narrowed or use the eccentrics.

If you find some particular text in Finnish forums be interesting I can help you to understand it :)
              Last edited by Rocla; 02-05-2007, 11:48 PM.
              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

where did you find the eccentric bushings?

Comment

Originally posted by streetknight View Post
                  where did you find the eccentric bushings?

More than likely they were custom made for that particular application .

Would be really easy to make out of aluminum which I'm guessing that car is probably running also .
                  Each side side would only have to drilled .5 cm off center for them to work .

Almost as easy to make out of eurethane too .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    Not directly. It's close.
                    how close? what do you need to do to fit it?
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      how close? what do you need to do to fit it?
                      Read the 3 posts above yours.

Comment

i see, so where do you buy eccentric subframe bushings?
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

You make them.

Comment

will the front knuckles of an e28 bolt up to the front e30 suspension (non-m3)?

Comment

you are asking if the e28 control arms fit on the e30 subframe.

no. the second reason to do this swap, asside from the 5-lug, is because of the better swing-arm angle. e30's are 15 degrees (which induces too much camber when car is low/loaded) while the e28 is what guys? like 10-12, something around there?
                              the next question is could eccentrics make this happen and then also, is the two mount points the same width appart?

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
                                you are asking if the e28 control arms fit on the e30 subframe.

no. the second reason to do this swap, asside from the 5-lug, is because of the better swing-arm angle. e30's are 15 degrees (which induces too much camber when car is low/loaded) while the e28 is what guys? like 10-12, something around there?
                                the next question is could eccentrics make this happen and then also, is the two mount points the same width appart?
                                The idea I was talking involves complete subframe swap, not just trailing arms. The Big subframe mounting bushes are the ones which are custom made.
                                Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                                BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Working...
                                X