No announcement yet.

E28 535i Hub assembly swap to get 5 stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i believe the reason here of using the e28 rear arms are for the strength you need if you using 300+ hp..
    a friend of mine used structure foam on the subframe and arms and it added some strength to it..

maybe it works..

Comment

guys i found this recently...mentions front legs E30 4 stud to E28 5 stud here:

looking at it...it seemed very interesting, E30 M3 front legs and u can have an E28 5 stud conversion....but i`m not exactly sure how it all works...

anyone??
      Signature removed by R3V staff due to a violation of the forum rules

Comment

no shit.
        Guess what I have in my garage?
        TWO E28's!! (one's going to be my DD, the other is a parts car. Guess I need some more parts, huh?
        Now, if I can ever get my 535is going, I could actually check the validity of this for you guys....
        Stay tuned!
        Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by MR_SAZ View Post
          guys i found this recently...mentions front legs E30 4 stud to E28 5 stud here:

looking at it...it seemed very interesting, E30 M3 front legs and u can have an E28 5 stud conversion....but i`m not exactly sure how it all works...

anyone??
          I researched this eariler, and came to belief that it doesn't work... I never spotted that page earlier, anyone?

$750 is a steal, realoem tells $184/side I know realoem prices can be very off, but 750 is insane.

EDIT: e28 strut has 3 mounting bolts while e30m3 has 4.

EDIT2: Asked the local price for "legs", 155e/each I think I'll be ordering on just to find out.
          Last edited by Rocla; 08-07-2007, 08:54 PM.
          Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
          BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
          BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
          BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
            I researched this eariler, and came to belief that it doesn't work... I never spotted that page earlier, anyone?

$750 is a steal, realoem tells $184/side I know realoem prices can be very off, but 750 is insane.

EDIT: e28 strut has 3 mounting bolts while e30m3 has 4.

EDIT2: Asked the local price for "legs", 155e/each I think I'll be ordering on just to find out.
            Come on guys, this should be the ultimate solution to achieve 5*120 and big brakes with low price and no one knows nothing about it.
            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

i need those legs since i have E30 m3 struts now!
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

hmmm

Will the e30 m3 lower steering knuckle really bolt up e28 front strut housings?
                sigpic
                Bmw 332i 260whp 240wtq N/a
                Lexus GS400 280whp

Comment

No.
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                    No.
                    Fact? I'm quite sure it won't, but since those guys sell the arms for that purpose....
                    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

It won't. E28 and others use a 3 bolt mounting system while the E30 uses a 4 bolt.
                      My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

It won't. E28 and others use a 3 bolt mounting system while the E30 uses a 4 bolt.
                        Yes, but i measured that the bolt holes are still on same pattern, so will it bolt with 3 bolts? Bad idea anyways.

E28 has brake caliper mounted on front side of hub, when e30 one is on back side of hub, that would most likely be a problem.
                        Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                        BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I'm running E28 535i calipers on M3 strut housings. Same mounting holes but with a slightly (4mm) larger bore diameter.
                          My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                            Yes, but i measured that the bolt holes are still on same pattern, so will it bolt with 3 bolts? Bad idea anyways.

E28 has brake caliper mounted on front side of hub, when e30 one is on back side of hub, that would most likely be a problem.
                            could you install the passenger side strut on the drivers side and vice versa. If you couldnt, you could always switch the calipers. i cant see how front mounted calipers would be a problem.

I may have to order one of the M3 lower knuckes to check this out.

Comment

No, you are not hearing what I have said. E28 strut housings do not have the same bolt pattern on the bottom of the housing. They use a 3 bolt mounting system instead of a 4 bolt system.
                              My 2.9L Build!

Comment

No, you are not hearing what I have said. E28 strut housings do not have the same bolt pattern on the bottom of the housing. They use a 3 bolt mounting system instead of a 4 bolt system.
                                yes, but they appear to be on the same pattern (rocla claims to have measured it). I'm going to get my hands on these parts to be sure, but I think you could just use three out of the four holes or machine the bottom E28 housing for a 4th hole.

I already have big brakes and 8" wide wheels for the 4-lug but I'm unhappy with wear and tear on the wheel bearings. This could be a great low-buck solution.

E30M3

E28

Comment

Working...
                                X