302 swap with getrag 260 trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 swap with getrag 260 trans

So I found what looks to be a 302 swap with a getrag 260 trans on a russian website. Im just curious as to how this would be possible? Would be it be cheaper to build an adapter plate and go through the trouble of make the engine and trans work or would getting a t5 trans and new drive shaft be a cheaper solution? https://www.drive2.ru/c/2726121/
    1986 325es(Possible race car?)
    1987 325e (the show car)
    1992 525it (the new daily)

In Russia (and a lot of former Soviet bloc countries) labor and materials is often a lot cheaper than American parts.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

It would definitely be cheaper to make an adapter plate and figure out a pilot bearing solution than to find a T5 which is as strong as a G260. It takes a hefty T5 to handle the kind of stuff Turbo E30 guys have put the G260 through.

I was actually looking into this briefly a month or so ago since I'd eventually like a V8 and there's no way I'll be able to afford an LS while I'm still in college.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

I wonder if someone doesn't make that adapter already but since so many people are ls kids, no one looks for it? I have a few friends with 302s in their e30s, though not with the getrag trans, and they love them. good power, torque, and light weight.

I put a 302 into my wrangler and with a c6 trans, it was 40 or 60 pounds lighter than the stock 4.2 and 727 jeep trans. plus, it was 4 or 5 inches shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
          but since so many people are ls kids
          Ridiculing people for wanting an LS over a 302 just doesn't make sense, the LS is an objectively superior engine in just about every way.

The 302 is just cheaper and easier to get.
          Last edited by varg; 05-29-2019, 06:58 AM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          - updated 1-26

Comment

I guess I should have said it differently. that does seem like I am being negative to those guys.

Comment

I feel like 302 also has more style points than an LS due to the rarity
              Either way torque is cool
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

The later (WC) T5 was supposedly good to 300 ft/lbs.

What's a 260 good for?

The nice thing about a T5 is that there are lots of ratios available, and they are cheap.
                And pretty easy to work on.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Considering that we've seen guys put 500hp+ through them with turbo M20s, and over 400hp regularly, they're good for a lot more than 300ft-lbs. You'll definitely frag a T5 with 300lb-ft on slicks but I'm willing to bet that a G260 would handle it. From what I've seen it's easy to exceed the capabilities of a WC T5 with a built 302 or a stroker based on it, and if you're making G260 shredding power with your V8 you can likely afford something a bit fancier than a 25 year old Getrag.
                  Last edited by varg; 12-06-2017, 07:23 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

I remember reading those guys in Germany or somewhere in Europe saying they started fragging out around 7-800 hp but it was years ago so I would have to google and hope to find something newer to help support those numbers

Comment

I was digging and found more pictures from the russian getrag equipped 302. In a comment he mentions that it's 40mm thick.

Then there's the flywheel...

Not an ideal situation.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

That must weigh 100 lbs, maybe more.
                        Jimmy P.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                        98 318Ti Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Good Lord that is thick steel.

I would like to see the guts of a T5 and a Getrag 260 compared. The "turbo guys" are not going to make the torque down low like the 302. I have broke a T5 several times behind a 302. I beat the piss out of it. And it broke on the low rpm shifts (Most the the abuse was at the drag strip with slicks). I replaced it with an old Tremec 3550, rated at 350 ft lbs, and cracked the case on that. The T5 is not a slouch. And if the Getrag 260 is so much stronger, then I think the mustang guys would have started swapping it in years ago.

I honestly believe that the a T5 will hold up well in a swapped e30. You have much less weight than a mustang. And if you are not running slicks, it would be fine.

Another thing to consider is the gear ratios of the G260 and the T5. The G260 has a 3.83:1 first. The T5 has either a 3.35:1 or a 2.95:1 If you start hammering the G260 with low RPM torque, I feel you are stressing it too much. The G260 is better suited for a smaller displacement engine that needs torque multiplication through gearing.

Comment

Working...
                          X