Mission to the Cosmos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efficient View Post
    when you pop off the side trim on the fenders, does it fit loose after you reinstall it again? or do you buy new clips ?

There is a little white plastic ring that usually falls off when you remove the trim. One side fell into the fender so that one is loose, the other side is good.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

thanks ill look into my fender for that ring

Comment

Fun weekend doing the other stuff with the E30 other than shlepping it to work

Also changed the oil, just a hair over 108k

I definitely think it’s time to kick up the next step a notch
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

oh you just gotta kick up the next step a notch!

Comment

is the next step COSMetic?
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              oh you just gotta kick up the next step a notch!
              thats definitely the plan. after struggling to pass cars on Angeles Crest, I definitely need more in the power dept

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              is the next step COSMetic?
              There is a few COSMetic things in the works right now ;)

I should have a boring update in that dept here soon actually, and an exciting one hopefully within a month
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                thanks ill look into my fender for that ring
                Same thing happened to me after my repaint.

I ended up buying a new OEM plastic ring thing for like $1.50.
                90 Bronzit 325is
                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

So the boring update was that I found the replacement H4 headlight and installed it. Nice improvement, and I have a relay kit I will be installing soon once I figure out the details..

fun bit of oddness. When I tested the high beams, both pass side lights stay on (Runner/ High) and both driver side lights go out. I recall there being a trick to having all four lights stay on, but cant remember what it was. I think there was an option to cut a light or to bridge something else... anyone know what Im talking about?

Edit:

Found this info in the FAQ
                  Originally posted by FAQ
                  In order for all four lights to stay on at the same time you would need to modify your relays, so that the low beam relay remains powered when the highs are on, and would need to remove the cross-over wire between the high beam circuit and low beam circuit. If you don't do this the low beams will go out when the high beams are enabled. Otherwise if you try to power all 4 lights off just the high beam circuit you will blow the high beam fuse.
                  Last edited by 2mAn; 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Also changed the oil, just a hair over 108k
                    That's a lot of miles between oil changes Simon......you should maybe do it more often..

Comment

Out of Control

I had some time this weekend and after doing nothing yesterday besides watching The Lion King, I decided today I needed to do something. It was either the front rotors and pads, or the front control arms. And since the control arms were complete with New CABs already installed and I didn’t have all the stuff I wanted for the brakes I decided the control arms it is.

By chance I started on the driverside and I figured I’d just dive in rather than read some DIYs, I mean how hard could it be ...

Overall it went smooth but that upper nut that is in the subframe was inaccessible from above on the driverside and completely frustrated me. The pass side was visible from above so I thought, well once I get there it will be cake...

Wrong. You see , this car is original and that means there’s so many random little things that get removed and never reinstalled and I’m guessing one of those things is this motor mount cover thing. It was just enough of a pain to prevent a socket in top so again I thought I’ll have to wrench from underneath.... but there was even less room from underneath on the pass side than there was on the driverside. What I spent a long time staring at...

Long story short. This sh!t took way too long but I got it done. Total time was like 5 hours but I swear 3 of them were dealing with the 2 subframe nuts
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

So it took 3 hours of fiddling with your 2 nuts to get them off? Ahhhh, to be young again... ;D

Car is looking great, btw!
                        Last edited by mike.bmw; 07-29-2019, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          So it took 3 hours of fiddling with your 2 nuts to get them off? Ahhhh, to be young again... ;D

Car is looking great, btw!
                          LOL! I was so frustrated/ tired last night that I didnt even think of the opportunity I had to talk about how hard it was to get those nuts off. Thanks!

Tangent: I just received a 5-channel Hertz Amp that will hopefully turn the audio character of this car from an old school all treble, no bass setup to something MUCH better. It should help compliment the collection of cassettes I have on the way. Collection will be about 10 cassettes including NWA, Eazy-E, The D.O.C. , Too $hort, Wu-Tang Clan, Rodney O & Joe Cooley and also a Bluetooth cassette for all that new sh!t that will never be available in a physical media
                          Last edited by 2mAn; 07-29-2019, 08:38 AM.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Those two nuts were the bane of my existence for several hours recently as well. I am actually surprised you were able to get that clear a picture. With an M42 could barely see them, was mostly by feel.

I ended up with a spanner from below, about 10 degrees of rotation at a time because of all the obstacles, final torque with a fish scale on the end of the wrench.

None of the DIY guides I have seen had any cool tricks. On that note, I am amazed at how 4 lines of instructions in the Bentley manual can actually indicate 4 hours of work, e.g. "remove the bolts that secure the trailing arm." :)

Comment

haha glad Im not the only one who has spent hours cursing at those two. It would have been a lot easier if the "hood catch" (??- according to realoem ) wasnt in the way, but it was and I had various fantasies of destroying it in different ways
                              Attached Files
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

What is that part supposed to even do? Its on both mounts

Comment

Working...
                                X