No announcement yet.

Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think i like the word "unique" a little more than "special", but let's not go down the rabbit hole on that.

the reality is that we're a variant of primate that, on a geological scale, just showed up a little while ago, and we are actively destructive to the environment we depend on to sustain us.

maybe we are talking about the difference between "sentience" and "intelligence" here, because you can have the former without the latter.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I'm putting my money on cold fusion. If we can't figure that out within the next 20 years, by my calculations we're fucked no matter what.

Unlimited free energy, think about it. Kind of hard to wrap my head around personally. Things that used to be impractical or inefficient will be done on a large scale with brute force. The only limiting factor will be material sciences. Technological advancement will go through the roof. Pair that with automation and AI, it is quite possible for humanity to completely eradicate poverty and hunger, while also preserving our environment. An ideal situation would be off planet mining, Mars colonization, etc.

It's too bad we'll probably end up nuking each other to death fighting over that technology before it has the chance to save the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4_e30 View Post
        I'm putting my money on cold fusion. If we can't figure that out within the next 20 years, by my calculations we're fucked no matter what.

Unlimited free energy, think about it. Kind of hard to wrap my head around personally. Things that used to be impractical or inefficient will be done on a large scale with brute force. The only limiting factor will be material sciences. Technological advancement will go through the roof. Pair that with automation and AI, it is quite possible for humanity to completely eradicate poverty and hunger, while also preserving our environment. An ideal situation would be off planet mining, Mars colonization, etc.

It's too bad we'll probably end up nuking each other to death fighting over that technology before it has the chance to save the planet.
        I'm not in the camp who thinks "we're fucked" wrt AGW. Some people certainly are, global conflicts over food, arable land and water will become a greater issue for those with less and will cause major conflict. The developed world however, primarily North America will find a way around anything but the most catastrophic events.

Comment

interesting

As we recklessly warm the planet by pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, some industrial emissions also produce particles that reflect sunshine back...
          My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
            All it requires is money. Like every liberal solution, just feed it cash. Oh, and do it quickly now!
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Here are some more deniers.

Professor Guus Berkhout The Hague guus.berkhout@clintel.org 23 September 2019 Sr. António Guterres, Secretary-General, United Nations, United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY 10017, United States of America. Ms. Patricia Espinosa Cantellano, Executive Secretary, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, UNFCCC Secretariat, UN Campus, Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1, 53113 Bonn, Germany Your Excellencies, There is no climate emergency. A global network of more than

Can you believe these people?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/special...hange-n1054791

Here you go. Purge your guilt on the internet!

BTW the responses are the best ever.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post

where i'm not sure i agree 100% is that we measure intelligence and sentience by our own self-defined metrics

other primates and octopi have demonstrated learning, tool usage and creation, and other tasks that require what we define as intelligence

...absolute yes to this, and if we're not capable of being good custodians to this planet we happened to find ourselves on, are we actually intelligent?
                  When an Octopus can build an e30...

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post

When an Octopus can build an e30...
                    Bring it on. I must have 8 arms.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post

where i'm not sure i agree 100% is that we measure intelligence and sentience by our own self-defined metrics

other primates and octopi have demonstrated learning, tool usage and creation, and other tasks that require what we define as intelligence

...absolute yes to this, and if we're not capable of being good custodians to this planet we happened to find ourselves on, are we actually intelligent?
                      Sure, we define the metric, and so we are, individually at least. But I think we tend to not label things other than humans as intelligent, but rather as showing intelligence, which seems to be a convenient way to label them as showing some aspects of human intelligence, but not at the same level or above. Of course, we sometimes forget that every living thing is intelligent in a unique/specialized way, and probably one that we either can't quite comprehend, or achieve a similar level of ability in, no matter how long we might train.

However, we do seem to really lack the ability to conceive, manage, and resolve problems, to the benefit of the society as a whole, much outside of our individual spheres of habitation. Heck, even ants can do that effecively, so what are we by comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post

All it requires is money. Like every liberal solution, just feed it cash. Oh, and do it quickly now!
                        This is what the Chinese have used to "seed" clouds for A LONG time. I turned it off once she acted like this was some ground breaking piece of new knowledge.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

well apparently this guy didn't get the message about the 97% consensus
                          Meteorologist and oceanographer Dr. Mototaka Nakamura boasts a lustrous CV, one that should demand his demolition of climate modelling be heeded. Sadly, that seems unlikely. With so many careers, budgets and compacts hanging on prophecies of doom -- the Paris accords not least of all -- there are simply too many vested interests intent on promoting faux science as fact
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

That website is basically just a mixture of cliche crusty old white man shit for people who suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                              That website is basically just a mixture of cliche crusty old white man shit for people who suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
                              i thought i'd link an English speaking website, or do you speak Japanese?
                              “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Here's another on that didn't get the memo either.
                                And just for you cale it's an English speaking website assuming you don't speak Hebrew

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X