New to me 1990 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zippityDu View Post
    I bought another mTech2 wheel that will fit the e30. I bought the spacer for the installation as well. Does the spacer go on after the wheel is fitted or before? Is there any good DIY for install? Thanks.
    Hopefully this makes sense:

Column | Original Spacer | Steering wheel | Extra Spacer | Washer | Nut

As far as DIYs, I forgot what I read through, but I've had the steering wheel off a number of times so I didn't bother reading any DIYs. Just remember to remove the old steering wheel (and install the new one) you'll need to have key in the AC position (this retracts the metal tap so you can pull the wheel off the splines).

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      Hopefully this makes sense:

Column | Original Spacer | Steering wheel | Extra Spacer | Washer | Nut

As far as DIYs, I forgot what I read through, but I've had the steering wheel off a number of times so I didn't bother reading any DIYs. Just remember to remove the old steering wheel (and install the new one) you'll need to have key in the AC position (this retracts the metal tap so you can pull the wheel off the splines).

Good luck!
      Awesome, thanks! That sounds easy enough. Will there be a gap between wheel and steering column?

Comment

Awesome, thanks! That sounds easy enough. Will there be a gap between wheel and steering column?
        There shouldn't be a gap. I briefly had an MT2 wheel installed on my airbag E30 and didn't notice a gap between the wheel and column.

If you're not already aware, the MT2 wheel will be closer to the stalks for airbag equipped E30s. Some have complained their knuckles brush up against the stalks while turning the wheel. Some have bent the stalks away (carefully) or replaced the stalks with the non-airbag versions.
        Last edited by mike.bmw; 07-19-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

There shouldn't be a gap. I briefly had an MT2 wheel installed on my airbag E30 and didn't notice a gap between the wheel and column.

If you're not already aware, the MT2 wheel will be closer to the stalks for airbag equipped E30s. Some have complained their knuckles brush up against the stalks while turning the wheel. Some have bent the stalks away (carefully) or replaced the stalks with the non-airbag versions.
          I did read that. I thought the additional spacer solved that problem. I can grab a heat gun and bend them out of the way if necessary.

Comment

I did read that. I thought the additional spacer solved that problem. I can grab a heat gun and bend them out of the way if necessary.
            The additional spacer is so that the nut can be fully tightened onto the steering wheel. Otherwise the column splines prevent the nut from being fully tightened onto the wheel hub. It'll make sense once you get it on there. The stock/existing spacer stays in place. You're just adding a spacer in front of the steering wheel.

Comment

The additional spacer is so that the nut can be fully tightened onto the steering wheel. Otherwise the column splines prevent the nut from being fully tightened onto the wheel hub. It'll make sense once you get it on there. The stock/existing spacer stays in place. You're just adding a spacer in front of the steering wheel.
              Ok, thanks. When you went with the mtech 2 wheel, what were your plans to get rid of all of the SrS and airbag lights?

Comment

Ok, thanks. When you went with the mtech 2 wheel, what were your plans to get rid of all of the SrS and airbag lights?
                Step 1: Disconnect battery. This will prevent any SRS codes from being thrown while working on the SRS system. It'll also prevent an airbag from discharing in your face.

Step 2: There's an orange SRS control box/module behind the knee panel. Follow the orange connector from your steering wheel, through the column, to behind the knee panel. If you unplug that connector the SRS system won't throw any codes and the light in the instrument (battery should be disconnected for this).

Step 3: Remove airbag wheel, install non-airbag wheel.

Step 4: Connect battery (leave SRS module unplugged behind knee panel).

When I swapped mine, I didn't disconnect the SRS module and my SRS light came on. A code was stored in the SRS module and the light stayed on even after reinstalling the airbag wheel. There is a way to clear the SRS codes by shorting pins #19 and #6 on/off in a pattern, which I did successfully. Lookup "E30 SRS reset" for that procedure. I may have posted about it in my thread. EDIT: SRS Reset procedure here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...66#post4841266

Comment

Step 1: Disconnect battery. This will prevent any SRS codes from being thrown while working on the SRS system. It'll also prevent an airbag from discharing in your face.

Step 2: There's an orange SRS control box/module behind the knee panel. Follow the orange connector from your steering wheel, through the column, to behind the knee panel. If you unplug that connector the SRS system won't throw any codes and the light in the instrument (battery should be disconnected for this).

Step 3: Remove airbag wheel, install non-airbag wheel.

Step 4: Connect battery (leave SRS module unplugged behind knee panel).

When I swapped mine, I didn't disconnect the SRS module and my SRS light came on. A code was stored in the SRS module and the light stayed on even after reinstalling the airbag wheel. There is a way to clear the SRS codes by shorting pins #19 and #6 on/off in a pattern, which I did successfully. Lookup "E30 SRS reset" for that procedure. I may have posted about it in my thread. EDIT: SRS Reset procedure here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...66#post4841266
                  Is the SRS module on near the knee panel on the transmission side (right) or the door side (left)? Edit: Found it. Unplugged and no SRS or airbag warning lights on.
                  Last edited by zippityDu; 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM. Reason: Figured it out

Comment

Steering wheel installed, no airbag or SRS lights on:

I am having a problem and am currently talking to the seller. I understand the wheel is used, but the horn is barely hanging on due to worn out attachment points. (See pics) Anybody have any idea on how I could go about fixing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That stinks. Hopefully you bought it through ebay and/or used paypal goods/services so you'll be covered. Mine had a similar issue with the horn pad, but it was also bent from an accident, despite having a nice new wrap on it. So I returned it via ebay.

I wouldn't accept it if the horn pad is loose and falls out.

Comment

That stinks. Hopefully you bought it through ebay and/or used paypal goods/services so you'll be covered. Mine had a similar issue with the horn pad, but it was also bent from an accident, despite having a nice new wrap on it. So I returned it via ebay.

I wouldn't accept it if the horn pad is loose and falls out.
                        I got it returned and had a different wheel sent. I just received the package. Fingers crossed it's better than the first one.

Comment

Working...
                        X