Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using OEM eurohitch to tow my other e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one is fun too

And while were at it....

Last edited by george graves; 07-30-2012, 04:29 AM.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
      can't be done
      I don't think anyone here has said that it can't be done; only that it is not advisable to do so.

1987 325e - 5 speed - Mods: 3.25 LSD, Mark D Chip, Bilstein HD's, Ansa Sport

Comment

Don't do it

Comment

That video gives me serious chills every time I see it. Trucks and bigger SUVs are really the only vehicles designed to tow another vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
            can't be done

:)
            Things I see in this picture.....

1. 2 E30s
            2. A lightweight aluminum trailer with stand alone brakes as per EU regulations
            3. Weight positioned over the axles
            4. A balanced tow car, ie: the rear isn't pulled down

If he can stop the weight and keep his speed under 55 or so, there's no reason that isn't safe.

Myself, I wouldn't want to do it because 55 mph will get you ran over down here and I don't have a lightweight aluminum trailer with its own brakes. ;)

Also to the poster who said the hitch will come off the ball, the E30 hitch is 50mm = 1.9685in. I know of no hitch that has that tight of tolerances anywhere.

Comment

Just remember if it starts snaking, power out.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                Also to the poster who said the hitch will come off the ball, the E30 hitch is 50mm = 1.9685in. I know of no hitch that has that tight of tolerances anywhere.

Not arguing the rest of your post, you know I'm an avid "The e30 can tow more than a lot of r3v people think" person.
                BUT! You're wrong about this statement. Trailer ball tolerances are to be within .76mm, or .030" smaller and .000" or 0.000mm bigger according to the SAE J684 section 6.5..

2" ball is 50.8mm.
                50mm is .8mm smaller. and .04mm smaller than the SAE tolerances.
                It doesn't seem like a lot. But trust me, that's a damn big difference. Consider that the overall differences of a 1 7/8" ball and a 2" ball is only .125", and the .0315" difference between the two sizes is a tad over 25% the total .125" difference.

Too much for even my liking.

So I reiterate my statement in saying:
                Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                Uhaul will laugh at you and say, "No".
                Last edited by TurboJake; 07-30-2012, 11:35 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  The things that Europeans are allowed to do with trailers are frankly staggering and not especially safe. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that it is a good idea.
                  I never mentioned it being legal in europe
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I really wouldn't. I've towed a couple E30s with a flatbed and my 91 Toyota pickup, 22re 5speed 4x4. ANDDDD even though its a truck, its a small underpowered truck. It wasn't that bad but still a little sketchy. SOO towing an e30 with another e30 probably isn't the best idea. I recently turboed my truck but I haven't towed anything with it yet. Im hoping it will help the dangerous lack of power while towing.
                    = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

I would never tow anything with a e30 too short of wheel base too small of brakes rear suspension geometry would go to crap if it was loaded down
                      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Working...
                      X