Most happy/miserable "types" of people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
    The happiest people are those who grew up in an environment that made them feel loved and emphasized social interaction.

Unhappy people are loners who struggle connecting with other people, and retreat into materialism.
    I found this to be comment-worthy, because it's an incongruity in your statement where an introvert's sole path to coping with introversion is materialism, and extroverts are just happy because they've been raised with an emphasis on social interaction.

Introverts shy away from social interaction and extroverts, the opposite. It is how they are hard-wired from the factory to deal with their environments.

Both can be generally happy. It depends on your definition of happy. Happy is not a person that's always smiling and being friendly. That is merely an extrovert being in their element. Take away social interaction from an extrovert and I'll show you a sad extrovert.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to buy some shiny trinket on Amazon to quell this rising rage I felt after reading your post.

:p

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Agreed, saying introverts can't be happy is far from the truth. I do however think that their hard wired inclinations often lead them to IT work which in itself is a thankless and stressful job. It usually pays well, which may give the appearance of materialism but anyone here would do the same (save for our blossoming Buddhist population).

I will say however, keeping a close eye on the materialism mindset is important to happiness and "self worth". It's especially hard for those of us that have ever shifting interests and hobbies. Anyway, just a simple observation.

Comment

I believe people at their very core define the forms that fill their own existential voids at a young age. There are many forms, but among them are social interaction, financial security, and material possessions. These forms define security and stability in people's lives, and ultimately, contribute to feelings of power and self-worth.

These forms put people at odds with their existence. Everyone always wants more social interaction, more money, more stuff. This very want that creates our behaviors also creates the subsequent suffering.

So keeping track of feelings of materialism is not guaranteed to bring you happiness. Repudiating the dogma of tying your self-worth to materials and money will help you get there.

Am I insulated from wanting stuff? No. But is it repulsive to me to see people defining their success by the size of their bank account or their possessions? Yes.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Nowhere did I say or mean to imply that introverts are unhappy and materialistic, nor imply that happiness is dependent on someone's personality type, ie; A, B.

Like what you were saying, I think it has a lot to do with a person's surroundings and how they learn to deal with their environments. I think anybody, extrovert or introvert, who struggles to develop meaningful relationships often find themselves feeling isolated and unhappy. Learning how to interact with people is most often learned from one's family.

Surrounding themselves with stuff seems to be a common thing that people do to try and feel happy. Here's an example I've heard about and witnessed more than a few times times: a family member dies, an occurrence which may greatly affect somebody, obviously. However, there is never a healthy period of grieving for this person. Next thing you know they own 6 cars, 3 big screen TVs, and lots and lots of junkfood.

There's no replacement for a social support system, even if it's just one person. One person can make all the difference.
          Last edited by E30 Wagen; 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM. Reason: typo
          My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            now....with that said, i absolutely love my job. i can't imagine doing anything that would make me feel more self actualized. as good as i think i have life, i can't tell you how many people i fly with who are bitter and pissed off. i always think to myself, why don't you try doing a real job for a year or two and come back to this one. i bet their attitudes would be 180 degrees.
            I see the same. Now my work is sometimes extremely physically demanding but I take away a great sense of personal satisfaction in a job well done. I also came from a flat rate industry where I never knew how much money I would make, if any, when I went to work in the morning.

Now that I take in an income that supports myself and my family, and I get to play with giant behemoths all day, I love my life. Some of the people I work with bitch and can't stand it, but I wonder if they have really seen what else is out there like I have.

Moral of the story? Find a job that you get a kick out of, that ISN'T something you do in your off time (because then you won't want to). Flyboy can't fly planes at home, I can't play with trains at home, so we look forward to going to work because then we get to have fun and make money.

I personally think that it isn't so much the job making the person or the person making the job. It more so comes down to whether or not you look forward to going to work each day. If you hate what you do day in and day out, how could you expect to be happy over all?
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

being happy or sad is a personal choice we make. you can train yourself to see the glass as half full, not almost fucking empty.
              i chose happy a long long time ago. i was a bit shy, and my best friend thru high school died of cancer at age 26.
              so i learned life is unfair. but every day has good in it if you bother to look.
              every day is a gift. make it count because literally you do not know if you have any left after today.
              and live life without regrets. tell people close to you you love them, and let them love you back.
              “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I think how happy you are is directly associated with how good your E30 is running and how long its been since you've been laid. With that said, My E30 is running great but I havent been laid since I broke up with my lady a few months back. Im still pretty happy
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Happy =R3v members
                  Miserable = e90 post members
                  1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                  2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                  2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                    If in a given day you meet one or two guys who are assholes, then they might actually be assholes. If in a given day you meet a bunch of assholes (like regularly), maybe you are the real asshole.

Someone said this but I know know the source. Don't question this post too much. It's 2:30am and I should be sleeping.
                    the super assholes are the ones who don't admit to being an asshole.
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

You should watch this movie. Link didn't workk. Movie is called Waking Life.

Life is existence. What you create is yours to hold.

Also, I work in IT.
                      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Man, I forgot about this thread. So many things here to make you think.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          I think how happy you are is directly associated with how good your E30 is running and how long its been since you've been laid. With that said, My E30 is running great but I havent been laid since I broke up with my lady a few months back. Im still pretty happy
                          Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
                          Happy =R3v members
                          Miserable = e90 post members..
                          Came here for the LULZ......left very satisfied.
                          i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            i am lucky to have both
                            i have been very happy with my daily for the last 15 years...
                            and my nightly for 27...
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            '90 325i sedan daily driven
                            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                            X