Mishimoto Radiators - STAY AWAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
    Oem are great but when you have weather like here in Florida it just won't cut it. Then add AC and you have even further cooling problem. Got to remember these motors are not cooling in the engine bay like they were originally intended too. The airflow is not the same.
    1) The MZ3 radiator is a large upgrade over stock.
    2) You are assuming that the Mishimoto radiator is actually better, which is deeply questionable.

The standard E36 Mishimoto is *definitely* worse than the MZ3, and the big X-line Mishi is not proven to be better. Worse yet, the big Mishi drastically impacts fan clearance. If it's not a track car, you're better off with a little less radiator and a lot more fan.

3) The Mishimoto radiators are definitely not proven to be *more* reliable than stock, either. There are enough known failures that I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
      Will they reimburse you for the repair to the old one (if you still have it ) & honor the warranty still.

I have repaired and modified ALOT of aftermarket aluminium radiators to fit into different applications. I know that is not the idea situation, but just a thought. All you need to do is flush and clean it with ZEPALUM before you start welding it and it should be good to go.

I wish you were local, I would just have you bring it over.
      Yeah, I could easily weld up the hole and put a new nipple on it somewhere else.

The problem lies with when the core leaks in a year, like my last two radiators, and I have to get a replacement, and do the same thing again. Time/money I have to spend, and additional downtime for the car. And then again the next year. And the next. That's not what I signed up for. And I have no idea if they'd honor the warranty in that situation. I asked, and got no response.

A Behr Z3M rad is $160. That my easiest, cheapest, best quality solution to this problem. I just think it's a shame Mishimoto won't let me send their defective product back for a refund.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        3) The Mishimoto radiators are definitely not proven to be *more* reliable than stock, either. There are enough known failures that I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one.
        Exactly. My first one failed in 1 yr/10k miles. My 2nd one failed in 1 yr/10k miles.

Find me a Behr radiator that did that. Even Nissens is better then that. I don't care where you're driving, a stock rad will last longer then that.

And the stock s54 Z3M rad is thicker then the Mishimoto e36 rad. So it would actually be an upgrade in cooling abilities, not to mention build quality, fitment, and price.

Comment

I bet if you modify it to fit they won't honor your lifetime warranty.

Dicks

Comment

My eBay e36 rad had the same close proximity issue, but I made it work.
            This is why I believe, and said so before, that Mishi rads are a waste of money. They all look the same - Mishi just spray paints their stencil on there.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
              I would put the old leaky radiator and add the stop leak powder stuff and see what happens.
              No. NO. Just no. Stop recommending stop leak. You think the only place it collects is where there are leaks? Do you think stop leak is self aware and sees that it's not a good idea to collect in a coolant galley? I'm guessing you've never seen the inside of an engine that has run stop leak additives. Even if it doesn't completely clog a passage, it coats every surface it touches which drastically reduces the amount of heat that can be transferred from the engine to the coolant. Stop recommending it. Stop leak was invented for shady car salesmen to sell lemons. It needs to be removed from shelves.

Comment

Yes you are right that stuff is not healthy for the cooling system/engine however you seem to be stuck with no refund and you refuse to modify/weld the nipple as suggested, so you either wait until drop the perfect rad from the sky or just keep the rant about Mishimoto .

What ever you do, good luck!
                Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Yes you are right that stuff is not healthy for the cooling system/engine however you seem to be stuck with no refund and you refuse to modify/weld the nipple as suggested, so you either wait until drop the perfect rad from the sky or just keep the rant about Mishimoto .

The perfect radiator is an OEM MZ3. Problem solved.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                    Exactly. My first one failed in 1 yr/10k miles. My 2nd one failed in 1 yr/10k miles.

Find me a Behr radiator that did that. Even Nissens is better then that. I don't care where you're driving, a stock rad will last longer then that.

And the stock s54 Z3M rad is thicker then the Mishimoto e36 rad. So it would actually be an upgrade in cooling abilities, not to mention build quality, fitment, and price.
                    I installed a new z3m s54 behr 5/14
                    9/14 Started Leaking at the driver side bottom end tank seam only when cooling down; it had seen about 4,000 miles and 60 minutes on track.

Replaced with another new z3m s54 behr and will see how long it lives.

My prior e36m behr lasted over 30k miles and 200 minutes on track and came out perfectly good for the z3m s54 one that leaked in 4 months runtime

Local mishimotos enjoy failing on track for both e36m and e46m.

Don't do it; at least the oem behr only leaked when cooling down
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

First of all, you're getting people confused. I'm the one who started the thread, but you're responding to Luquidity's post about the stop leak. We are not the same person.

Second, this thread is not about me whining about not having a radiator solution. It's a vender feedback thread, where I'm sharing my experience with a vender, so others are aware of their business practices. I'll handle my own radiator solution, I never asked for help with that.

Comment

Oops my bad...got distracted while replying through the phone.

Sorry R3V members for getting you all confused :p
                        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Is mishimoto rad chinese made? If so, thats leak occured from inconsistent wall thickness of flat pipe line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------
                          [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------
                          Transaction Feedback

Comment

Damn and I wanted a mishi rad.

Comment

Originally posted by ngampleh View Post
                              Is mishimoto rad chinese made? If so, thats leak occured from inconsistent wall thickness of flat pipe line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Is the pope Catholic?
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've also had problems with the mishermaid. The first was that the fan switch hole was clearly drilled and tapped crooked so the switch didn't go in straight. I solved that with plenty of rtv that I applied and let dry for a while before refilling and bleeding. Later I had a pinhole on the seam of the driver side end tank. I welded that up and it was fine. Then maybe 6 months later there was pinhole leaks on the pass side where the tubes go into the end tank. In short I should've just kept using the 23 yr old oem rad that still worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X