M60 vs Boosted M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 vs Boosted M42

Looking to swap my 318i in a few months. The reason I want to narrow it down now is so that I can start collecting parts. I am trying to get between 230-300 hp. The car is not my daily so it could be down for weeks if need be. I don't mind losing power steering and ac either. What's the best bang for my buck.
    M60
    55.10%
    Boosted M42
    44.90%
    1991 318i Sedan

I did not vote both are awesome options the v8 swap would be more reliable but a boosted m42 is a boosted m42
    sigpic

Comment

M60
      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

boosted 4 cyls are great

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
          I did not vote both are awesome options the v8 swap would be more reliable but a boosted m42 is a boosted m42
          qft. i'm personally going the v8 option whenever the funds allow however, i would LOVE a boosted m42

Comment

I vote LSJuan you'll retain ps and ac.

Comment

twas no option for a boosted m20, probably the best compromise.

take it from a dude with a v8 car, you'll miss your power brakes.

Comment

Boost the m42. Go high boost and find out what a stock engine can take. :)

from all the stock internal m42 builds it seems that 9psi will get you around 200whp. So easier power will come from an m60. Im not sure about the reliability of those engines though.. Dont know much about them.

Comment

Reliability of an NA V8 or a high strung boosted 4? Give me NA torque curve any day (and on that note, seriously look into the M30 option).
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

even better

sigpic

Comment

no rotaries
                      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

voted for m60. I myself wanted to do one for a long time. And m60b44 hybrid would give you close to 300whp which is rear nice to have 300whp of raw power. The m60s power curve it very nice as well. And that 6 speed...

But im myself will be building a low compression m20 turbo soon, and decided to move the v8 swap to later in the future when i will be doing a full restoration as it requires way more work.

Comment

Turbo plumbing is expensive...

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If you want bang for your buck and a little peace of mind when it comes to reliability I would boost what you have. A proper motor swap will cost more.

Here's a complete kit that works with stock dme. + Tune included under $2k. Runs at 9psi and as stated above will get you close to 200hp. You go standalone and do a little extra prep/upgrades on the motor and you can get a lot more.

Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Sent from my SGH-T769
                            Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
                            LED Bulb Thread
                            R6 LED Review

Comment

Having built a 6 speed M60 e30, I'd love to do a turb'd 4 banger.
                              Turbo curves are so much more fun. M60 swap is awesome and that sound you get will be worth it all. Price wise, you'll spend north of $5k and weeks at a time doing it.

I miss my V8 e30 but if I were to do it again, boost...

I'm not sure why a stock m42 wouldn't be able to hold 14psi of boost with a good tune and proper fuel. It's all about timing and the intake charge. Get a big ass intercooler and maybe some meth injection and go even harder.

The main issue m42's see with boost is broken pistons from thermal breakdown and bent rods from pre-ignition.

Comment

Working...
                              X