What to buy? (near Atlanta, GA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to buy? (near Atlanta, GA)

I have owned 2 different e30s in the past. The first was a 1987 325is purchased with all I could scrape together. It had 140k miles and was being sold by a woman who's young children just wouldn't fit in it anymore.

I loved that car, I still remember going on a test drive, but before I could I had to drive it back up her driveway and out to the street. I failed to find 1st and instead climbed the hill in 3rd . Sadly she (the car) met her demise in a shop fire while waiting to simply have a coolant leak looked at.

The next e30 was purchased to get the magic back and was a 1989 325i. Both cars were 5 speeds but this one had a fuel issue that I just couldn't solve and had to go almost before I really had it. I ended up with a Honda to take me to work and back but now drive an E46 M3 but still yearn for the experience that 1987 325is gave me as a youngster.

What should I look for when shopping for an e30? I want a 2dr 5spd "i" car with a Limited Slip Diff. I prefer the plastic bumper look of the late models but the "is" is difficult to find in those. Is there an easy way to identify the differential visually or do I need to take it to a parking garage and run a test like in the image below?

I am looking at 2 different cars in my area now. One is an '89 325i and needs some work to the transmission. The other is a 1987 325is over 4 hrs away and an automatic. The '87 appears to be in better condition but would (obviously) require a 5spd swap and is over 4hrs away. The '87 is also cheaper.

Any insight provided would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Here are the 2 cars craigslist ads:
    1989 325i
    1987 325is

IMO the 87 looks like a better car overall. Yes its an auto, but do you know how to do a swap? Interior is nicer, nicer dash, nicer seats, nicer steering whee, AND it seems to not have been messed with. IE not lowered no motor change etc. 87 seems like you may just be able to get into it and drive it.

Comment

No Limited Slip

I found the (1989) other vehicle is an open diff, and despite the fact that it can just as easily be swapped (like the tranny), I think I'd be better off with the cheaper cleaner car.

Thanks for the advice.

-I

Comment

Though if memory serves me those basket weave center caps are always going missing and not cheap to replace. Maybe some rubber cement is needed.

-I

Comment

The 87 looks better.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

3k for a late model? I would take that!

Comment

87 has an 86 front valance Check for collision damage

Id buy the late model if it runs out well
              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I gotta agree with blunt on this one go with the 89 its closer and cheaper. shifter bushings can be done when swapping in a shortshift so theres a reason to do a mod haha.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Ok, maybe I'll drive the late model. It would be a better candidate for a modern power train eventually.

In the meantime I guess I will be searching for a donor torsion differential. If I remember correctly the z3 is bolt on with better cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Institutionalised View Post
                    Ok, maybe I'll drive the late model. It would be a better candidate for a modern power train eventually.

In the meantime I guess I will be searching for a donor torsion differential. If I remember correctly the z3 is bolt on with better cooling.
                    thats a waste of money. just get an e30 lsd. the 89 appears sold since the ad is deleted.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yeah, it sold. Oh well. I'll keep looking. Dream ride would be white anyway. Along with 2dr, 5spd, LSD, local, and oh yeah, cheap!

Comment

Pro tip: Do not post car on enthusiast internet forum before purchase.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but if it's someone on here, great. I'm the type of dude that enjoys the search and only really feels satisfied with a purchase after fully educating myself and of course... Waiting.

Comment

Working...
                          X