Canadian 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
    Looks great! Hard to find one in that sort of condition in Toronto.
    Oddly enough, they approached me with it. I posted a WTB on Kijiji on a whim that there might be something available out there, and a very nice lady messaged me 3 weeks later saying she had one for sale. It had everything I wanted: correct number of doors, manual, colour, minimal rust, sunroof, black interior, etc...).

She was actually selling the car as sort of a punishment to her 20year old son who got a stunt driving ticket in it after he squawked the tires in front of a cop. Funny how something as simple as a WTB kijiji ad can produce a good lead on a car.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

keep it clean bro. garage it! I ended up putting on new oem iS lip and side skirts. However, I realized factory paint doesn't get the clear coat when I got the kit painted. So the gloss makes it look off a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
        She was actually selling the car as sort of a punishment to her 20year old son who got a stunt driving ticket in it after he squawked the tires in front of a cop. Funny how something as simple as a WTB kijiji ad can produce a good lead on a car.
        Awesome car you have there! I love the story... her son's loss is your gain. :devil:

I'm in the Toronto area, too. I think I've seen your car on maXbimmer. Are you going to the fall cruise this weekend? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171157 I'll be there in the touring with Shock(/\)ave - he'd be a great person to ask about the paint on your car, since he's restored the paint on at least a couple of cars I can remember from faded pink to glossy red.

He used to have a red 318is much like yours except for the interior that was totaled when a friend backed into it in our driveway at work. We both still really miss that car. :(

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
        Looks great! Hard to find one in that sort of condition in Toronto.
        Nice to see more people in the GTA on r3v! :up:
        1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
        Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post
          keep it clean bro. garage it! I ended up putting on new oem iS lip and side skirts. However, I realized factory paint doesn't get the clear coat when I got the kit painted. So the gloss makes it look off a bit.
          Luckily I was searching for a weekend fun car for the summer, so this one will be in the garage when its not being used and wont be winter driven at all. I'm partial to OEM+ so all the changes to the car will be tasteful and subtle.

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
          Awesome car you have there! I love the story... her son's loss is your gain. :devil:

I'm in the Toronto area, too. I think I've seen your car on maXbimmer. Are you going to the fall cruise this weekend? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171157 I'll be there in the touring with Shock(/\)ave - he'd be a great person to ask about the paint on your car, since he's restored the paint on at least a couple of cars I can remember from faded pink to glossy red.

He used to have a red 318is much like yours except for the interior that was totaled when a friend backed into it in our driveway at work. We both still really miss that car. :(

Nice to see more people in the GTA on r3v! :up:
          I was actually following your wagon build thread for a while, sad to see you're selling it though!

I might try to make it out this weekend but we'll see what work / family life has in store later in the week. I'm also in the middle of trying to resolve the rough idle issue I was having, but everything is back together now and I'll see how it runs tonight when I fire it up again. If all is good, I might make it out to the cruise.

BTW - are you in around the Alliston area? Some of the photos in your build thread look really familiar since I grew up in the Alliston area.
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

BTW - are you in around the Alliston area? Some of the photos in your build thread look really familiar since I grew up in the Alliston area.
            Good eye! :) I live out in the sticks close to Alliston.

Comment

Good eye! :) I live out in the sticks close to Alliston.
              Ha! I grew up in Baxter and my parents still live there.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Ha! I grew up in Baxter and my parents still live there.
                Wow, that is eerie! Sending you a PM...

Comment

So after completing the mess under the intake removal tonight, putting everything back in its place and starting it up I noticed that the rough idle is drastically improved, but there is still some lingering idle hesitation there, so I think it may require a new intake (to be sure that I am not missing any cracks in it).

Not to mention I noticed that 1 of the 4 threaded stud holes that connect the throttle bottle to intake manifold are stripped by the PO, so I may need to retap it for larger threaded studs or find a new intake manifold all together
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Are you going to the fall cruise this weekend? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171157 I'll be there in the touring with Shock(/\)ave - he'd be a great person to ask about the paint on your car, since he's restored the paint on at least a couple of cars I can remember from faded pink to glossy red.
                    She's not exaggerating: my brilliantrot 318is was bright chalky pink before I went through an extensive professional level paint correction that totally restored the paint on the car with the exception of the plastics, which were dramatically improved but still faded. I'll make a thread about that car someday (I was just about to when it was totalled).

If all is good, I might make it out to the cruise.
                    It should be a really good one. ;D

Small world. ;)

So after completing the mess under the intake removal tonight, putting everything back in its place and starting it up I noticed that the rough idle is drastically improved, but there is still some lingering idle hesitation there, so I think it may require a new intake (to be sure that I am not missing any cracks in it).
                    Sounds like it's good enough for the cruise then! I'd love to see your car. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                      She's not exaggerating: my brilliantrot 318is was bright chalky pink before I went through an extensive professional level paint correction that totally restored the paint on the car with the exception of the plastics, which were dramatically improved but still faded. I'll make a thread about that car someday (I was just about to when it was totalled).
                      I'd love to see some before / after photos of it if you have them! I'd love to restore the paint rather than respray, but to be honest there are more dings, scratches, nicks, and paint chips than I would be happy with, so I'll likely do a respray next winter when the engine is out for the swap (or at least thats the plan).
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

This should give you an idea of the extent of the transformation:

I have a lot of pictures of the car I'll post someday in a thread. I still miss that car.

Comment

You might still be able to avoid repainting your car even if you're really unhappy with the current condition of your paint: I would get the dents removed through paintless dent repair, then restore the paint as above, then have some touch up paint mixed so it perfectly matches the car. With single stage non-metallic paint you can very easily build up paint over any chips or scratches in several thin layers, then expertly wet sand the raised areas flush with the surrounding paint. If done correctly, the repair would be near invisible. (This technique of chip and scratch repair is still possible with metallic paint, but it's much more difficult to do correctly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                            This should give you an idea of the extent of the transformation:

I have a lot of pictures of the car I'll post someday in a thread. I still miss that car.
                            Thats wild! Would love to hear about the process / see a write up on this.
                            Steve • Toronto
                            1991 318is • Brillantrot
                            Build Thread

Comment

I was able to get a few small things done this past week when little parts orders came in here and there from UPS.

First up was to swap out the dirty air filter for a fresh one.

Then I swapped out the blank oil cooler opening cover for the vented one that a buddy of mine had laying around his shop.

Same buddy had a new orange signal light cover that wasn't cracked so I swapped that out too.

I also swapped out two of the BMW wheel cap logos that were well beyond due for replacement. The other two were fine so I only changed these two. New one on the left looks nice and glossy!

Finally bit the bullet and ordered new lip clips from Pelican. Couldn't find them ANYWHERE within Canada so needless to say, the shipping cost was a bit to swallow but I'm just happy to have the lip on. Might do a Garagistic 'is' lip spoiler at some point too.

And finally a friend of mine got married this past weekend and he asked me to bring the 318 so he could get a photo with it...he really wants one but obviously has other (financial) priorities to take care of, haha!
                              Steve • Toronto
                              1991 318is • Brillantrot
                              Build Thread

Comment

And finally a friend of mine got married this past weekend and he asked me to bring the 318 so he could get a photo with it...he really wants one but obviously has other (financial) priorities to take care of, haha!
                                He must be a really good friend if you let him sit on your car! :shock: It's cool that he wanted your E30 to be part of their wedding, though. ;)

And did you just sneak in that you're planning an engine swap or did I miss something earlier? Details? :)

I'd love to see some before / after photos of it if you have them! I'd love to restore the paint rather than respray, but to be honest there are more dings, scratches, nicks, and paint chips than I would be happy with, so I'll likely do a respray next winter when the engine is out for the swap (or at least thats the plan).

Comment

Working...
                                X