camshaft bearing surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camshaft bearing surfaces

Installing new cam and want to make sure bearing surfaces are not going to mess it up. My old cam was in otrocious shape. Head was machined and cleaned very well. I installed new cam to measure valve lift etc and noticed that after a few rotations, new cam has marks on its journals (not scratches, just very slight marks). I inspected bearing surfaces and noticed that the aluminum has a few tiny metal specks embedded in them. Probably shavings from the old cam/rocker pads. I'm not sure if they will mess up my new cam and if those marks turn onto groves but I don't want to take any chances. Head cam bearing surfaces don't look too bad otherwise.

Any good way to clean them up? Though about lightly spot sanding them but don't want sand paper particles getting embedded there as well.

Did you use assembly lube when turning the cam? It should probably be lubed up well if turning a new cam in there.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

scotchbrite pad? honetool
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        scotchbrite pad? honetool
        Don't they say scotchbrite leaves behind a residue or compound not good for the metal?

Comment

I just used some w50 oil for mock up (test soft springs in there now), no assembly lube yet.
          I guess I can try some scotch bride there, maybe 600 or 800 grit paper? What RA finish is acceptable for the bearings? 600 should be about 8-12 (0.2-0.3Mm). Or should I do 800 for RA 3-10?

yosh, my understanding scotchbrtite, sandpaper is no no if it's the final assembly (pre-assembly deck surface, bores with pistons installed etc). I think a brush and some soapy water should get all that Al. oxide out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by yosh View Post
            Don't they say scotchbrite leaves behind a residue or compound not good for the metal?
            still gotta clean it, scrub it, clean it, scrub... one way or another regardless. its not hard to pull apart the head and clean it especially when the cam isnt even in yet
            Last edited by digger; 05-29-2017, 07:48 PM.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
            X