Last thread - Schrick 288

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last thread - Schrick 288

It is not my intention to bother anyone on this forum further than this thread as it happens to be my last one here.
    But since I won't be here for the next five years at least, there is a question for you all:
    Why would a Schrick cam need an adjustable cam gear?
    And the answer is? Fine Tuning?
    NO!
    Schrick have given all the parameters of the camshaft needed. And REMEMBER, the camshaft has only ONE CORRECT position. Period. Everything else is rubbish.
    So what is the adjustable gear for?
    Do not expect answers from me as I'll be gone for some time and use your brain.
    Cheers.

Is this even real?
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Comment

Originally posted by apostate View Post
        Oversized valves

Hi guys,

Can somebody explain the benefit of having oversized valves in a M20 head?

Thanks. Cheers.
        Just a troll too lazy to read or search... Or is it a fancy A.I. program. Hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
          Just a troll too lazy to read or search... Or is it a fancy A.I. program. Hmmmm
          Did you read through the thread? He asks why bigger valves might be beneficial, several people tell him, and then he says they're wrong, larger valves are bad, apparently having known the answer the entire time.

He's an idiot.

Comment

He was doubting one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

This guy is just being an emo twat
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by apostate View Post
              It is not my intention to bother anyone on this forum further than this thread as it happens to be my last one here.
              But since I won't be here for the next five years at least, there is a question for you all:
              Why would a Schrick cam need an adjustable cam gear?
              And the answer is? Fine Tuning?
              NO!
              Schrick have given all the parameters of the camshaft needed. And REMEMBER, the camshaft has only ONE CORRECT position. Period. Everything else is rubbish.
              So what is the adjustable gear for?
              Do not expect answers from me as I'll be gone for some time and use your brain.
              Cheers.
              for people who stick around, here are some reasons:

- if you change the distance between the crank centerline and cam centerline the cam timing changes because the timing belt is a fixed length so the cam can end up retarded or advanced and you have no way of putting it where it should. there are only two thickness OE headgaskets to potentially correct this with out use of a adjustable gear.

- sometimes the hole in the end of the cam is not in the right spot (seen smashed valves from this on a alpina c2 2.7L and even schrick screw up sometimes)

- the chances of some random off the shelf grind running best on your particular engine which could have a host of mods that schrick has NFI about when installed straight up vs a couple degrees advanced vs a couple degrees retarded is like flipping a coin. if you get a custom cam you might expect schrick to grind the cam so using the factory install marks it runs best but it isnt a custom ground cam for your engine.

- what runs best is not always a clear distinction, if you want a bit more lowend and midrange advancing can sometimes help, sometimes not and vice versa with retarding. the closer the duration is to the ideal duration for the engine seems to require less adjustment. People that choose a bit much duration often find the engine runs best advanced 2 or 4 degrees (this is a bit of a generalization of course)

- you screwed up cam choice and you need to get more P to V
              Last edited by digger; 06-01-2017, 08:39 PM.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

- Dr. Schrick is mean spirited and locates the alignment hole so that it doesn't time the cam correctly with the stock cam sprocket and stock deck height.

Comment

Originally posted by redlightpete View Post
                  - Dr. Schrick is mean spirited and locates the alignment hole so that it doesn't time the cam correctly with the stock cam sprocket and stock deck height.
                  yep, the one i measured was advanced 4 degrees off the bat
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

I don't know how to ask as confrontational a question as the OP so I'll just simply ask...would the I.E. 272 I'm putting on my 731 need an adjustable cam gear ?
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Do you want donuts?

No!

No, you do not want donuts, and I'm going to tell you why...

Just trina say...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

it should run fine without one as i bet many many people have done this but you can get it in exactly the right spot if you get one....

install it and see how it aligns. any major issues should be visible by looking at valve lift at TDC. one cam i bought years ago was supposed to be open 2.5mm at TDC but instead it was like 1/4" so no need for any fancy measurements to see it was a tad off

regardless check P to V clearance

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          I don't know how to ask as confrontational a question as the OP so I'll just simply ask...
                          :nice: priceless..

I applaude digger's patience to deal with us all..

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            it should run fine without one as i bet many many people have done this but you can get it in exactly the right spot if you get one....

install it and see how it aligns. any major issues should be visible by looking at valve lift at TDC. one cam i bought years ago was supposed to be open 2.5mm at TDC but instead it was like 1/4" so no need for any fancy measurements to see it was a tad off

regardless check P to V clearance
                            Your assuming I have as much patience in evaluating p>v clearance and valve lift as...well...you do dealing with...umm...some people online :)
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

It's impressive - he doesn't seem to get riled up by (us) idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X